After 6 years of aggressive travel: pickpocketed!

These guys are like magicians with their slight of hand.

They are trained like magicians. I had a moneybelt tucked under my top reverse so the zipper was against my stomach. The wallet inside that money belt was gone in seconds and I didn't even notice it. This happened in Florence outside the train station. I stay clear of any crowded situation and keep several feet between strangers, like arm's length. Avoid touching anyone as best you can.

Just a suggestion: To foil potential pocket picking, I've been using PacSafe products for a number of years, and think very highly of them. About as pickpocket-proof as you will find.

That looks very interesting - would make a good gift as well. Hmmm

That looks very interesting - would make a good gift as well. Hmmm

I also had the thought that if PacSafe products are that effective, pickpockets may avoid them and seek other victims!:D I already know which one I'm getting for my trip next May.

Sorry this happened to you. I appreciate the detailed post. I (foolishly) have been traveling with zipper pocket pants thinking everything was protected. How wrong I was.

Just a suggestion: To foil potential pocket picking, I've been using PacSafe products for a number of years, and think very highly of them. About as pickpocket-proof as you will find.

Yes, I have one that is slash resistant and RFID, with locking zippers that I use when we travel.

Last edited:
I have used this wallet for my last two foreign trips (Egypt & Jordan 2022, Greece 2023). It attaches to your belt and hangs down inside your trousers. https://shacke.com/products/pocket-vault-hidden-travel-belt-wallet-w-rfid-blocker (you can buy it on Amazon). I keep my phone on a lanyard hanging around my neck and inside my T-shirt.

I don't keep anything in my pockets.

I have one like that, but I do keep 1 CC and $20 in a buttoned pocket just for convenience.
But at a Barcelona grocery store, I used my CC for a $5 pack of soda, after I paid, the lady asked to see my ID.
Since she didn't speak English, it too a while and another customer to say she wanted to see my ID.
This is for a $5 product, and the CC charge went through fine. !!

I had to whip out my wallet, which looks like I'm fishing for something else, as annoying as I also had my passport etc in there since we were leaving the Country the next day..
Showed her my driver's license (Could she even read it ??).
And off we went with our stuff and my CC back.

I have one like that, but I do keep 1 CC and $20 in a buttoned pocket just for convenience.
But at a Barcelona grocery store, I used my CC for a $5 pack of soda, after I paid, the lady asked to see my ID.

I had that happen once- in Scotland, I think, also for a minor grocery-store purchase. Typically I have my passport with me; it's always a crapshoot whether it's safer in the hotel room or on my person. I DID lose mine in Malta last year but I think it dropped out of my phone case after I landed at the airport when I took the phone out to download the Bolt app (they were in the same compartment). On my last couple of trips I kept it with me, secured inside the case with a rubber band, and checked it about every 5 minutes.

This thread makes me appreciate Apple Pay. I carry a credit and atm card just in case, but those are zippered up in an inside pocket. If they were stolen, not a big deal since I have backups. Otherwise I pay with everything using my watch, no need to carry any cash or pull out a card. Very easy and safe.

I’m in Spain right now and this thread has made me paranoid, after years of traveling without any issues. Definitely being more careful this trip. Hopefully I haven’t jinxed myself!

ETA: +1 on Pacsafe. Love their backpacks.

This thread makes me appreciate Apple Pay. I carry a credit and atm card just in case, but those are zippered up in an inside pocket. If they were stolen, not a big deal since I have backups. Otherwise I pay with everything using my watch, no need to carry any cash or pull out a card. Very easy and safe.

I couldn't agree more. This summer I had a trip of just over a month, in five European countries, and every single purchase was done by double-clicking the button on my Apple Watch. I was especially impressed that this was not just in cities, but in tiny towns at the far fringes of civilization. Europe has embraced it to a much greater extent than the USA.

I couldn't agree more. This summer I had a trip of just over a month, in five European countries, and every single purchase was done by double-clicking the button on my Apple Watch. I was especially impressed that this was not just in cities, but in tiny towns at the far fringes of civilization. Europe has embraced it to a much greater extent than the USA.

It is everywhere. I was able to use Apple Pay to pay one euro at the train station restroom. Much like NWBound’s experience when traveling the Nordic countries early this year.

They are trained like magicians. I had a moneybelt tucked under my top reverse so the zipper was against my stomach. The wallet inside that money belt was gone in seconds and I didn't even notice it. This happened in Florence outside the train station. I stay clear of any crowded situation and keep several feet between strangers, like arm's length. Avoid touching anyone as best you can.

What's a "top reverse"?

This sounds really bad, as if they got it out of a moneybelt that was under clothing?

Depends what a top reverse is. I'm not familiar with that term.

What's a "top reverse"?

This sounds really bad, as if they got it out of a money belt that was under clothing?

I think she means that yes, not only was it under her top but she'd reversed it so the zipper was against her stomach. Scary stuff.

I think she means that yes, not only was it under her top but she'd reversed it so the zipper was against her stomach. Scary stuff.

Ah, got it. "It was under my top, wearing it reverse so the zipper is against my body."

Yikes!!!! Magicians indeed.

And sorry I sound so stupid. I'm not into clothing. I'm into power tools. Every now and then I see a term related to women's clothing that I'm not familiar with. I figured "top reverse" was some new trendy piece of clothing.:facepalm:

Last edited:
What's a "top reverse"?

This sounds really bad, as if they got it out of a moneybelt that was under clothing?

I had a money belt around my waist under my shirt. Instead of wearing it with the zipper facing out, I reversed it facing inward. An Italian family, small children, and a baby in a stroller approached us. Children, probably 6-8 yrs. old. They were the master magicians. Welcome to Florence, cute baby, little family, faster than the speed of light. The children took off running and I looked down and realized the money belt was unzipped. My sister-in-law lives in Italy and speaks Italian. She yelled at a shop owner whom the kids were running past and he grabbed them and pulled the wallet from their pocket. I got it back and the family disappeared. My SIL said families like this live in camps around the tourist cities and literally train children. They have small hands and are quick.

I had a money belt around my waist under my shirt. Instead of wearing it with the zipper facing out, I reversed it facing inward. An Italian family, small children, and a baby in a stroller approached us. Children, probably 6-8 yrs. old. They were the master magicians. Welcome to Florence, cute baby, little family, faster than the speed of light. The children took off running and I looked down and realized the money belt was unzipped. My sister-in-law lives in Italy and speaks Italian. She yelled at a shop owner whom the kids were running past and he grabbed them and pulled the wallet from their pocket. I got it back and the family disappeared. My SIL said families like this live in camps around the tourist cities and literally train children. They have small hands and are quick.

Sounds like Fagin from Oliver Twist.

I was warned about “gypsies” accosting you in Italy.

Yep, I didn't want to offend anyone with the term "gypsies." But that's what they are and hard to control in Italy for some reason.

https://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu/posts/the-roma-people-and-the-italians-a-strained-relationship

"If you are studying abroad in Florence, or another major city in Europe, I would be willing to bet that you have been warned about being pickpocketed in crowded areas and at major tourist attractions. In fact, the term “gypsy” is probably what these pickpocketers are referred to as. In Florence, these “gypsies” can usually be found in front of the Duomo or other major churches downtown, and they are usually begging for spare change"

"While the Roma people are known to engage in criminal activity, and even if some are illegally in Italy, there is no need to confiscate blankets from homeless people in the winter. The government of Florence also ordered a bulldozing of a gypsy encampment on January 15 of last year. In the opinion of Dr. Spini, these actions were done with malice simply to displace the Roma people. She took it upon herself, along with other parishioners of her church, to house many of these people in the church at nighttime to spare them the cold of the nights."

I figured "top reverse" was some new trendy piece of clothing.:facepalm:

+1

That's what I thought at first.

The real way to pickpocket a person is to distract them. Once you're focused on some unusual event, all sorts of things can happen to you which you don't notice.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing

We got too comfortable based on our experience in sometimes iffy locations over the years, I'm afraid. :facepalm:

First morning in the Canary Islands, Old town La Orotava in Tenerife. No crowds, walking back to apartment after breakfast and we heard another couple gaining on us on the sidewalk (unusual in itself). Then a car pulls the wrong way into a one-way street/alley immediately in front of us. Much shouting and gesturing as he nearly backs into the male of the other couple when getting the car out. The couple turns down the alley and we walk the remaining 100 ft to our apartment.

Minutes later, I realize my wallet is missing--either left in the restaurant or perhaps nicked by that couple. Walked by alley, saw nothing, and continued to the restaurant. Some 15 minutes have elapsed, wallet isn't there, pull up phone and see 4 alerts from BoA about attempted cash advances with incorrect PIN.

Got on phone, cancelled the BoA and Chase cards, as well as locking my Fidelity ATM card. Arranged for replacement credit cards to be sent quickly to one of our kids (we are island hopping, so can't count on international delivery...). Then went around looking in trash cans and in alleys for wallet in hopes that I'd find my driver's license. (nope!)

Went to police station and made a formal report, basically just to document it, as we have no real hope of recovery.

Luckily, we had spare credit and debit cards--both hard copy and on the phones. Biggest immediate concern was car rentals--we had 7 more scheduled on this trip. Luckily, at least on the first occasion, the rental company rented us a car after hearing our story, and seeing the police report, international license, and printed out copy of my license.

Learning experience--never again carry license in wallet with cash and cards; indeed, only one card should be in the wallet. 2. DW should carry not only a physical spare credit card, but one with no foreign transaction fees. 3. There is a reason we bought money belts when we retired--we will use them regularly from now on.

Kudos to Chase and BoA--the theft was [-]Saturday[/-] Friday (fixed), our son received our replacement cards on Tuesday, and he immediately sent photos to us so that we could activate them on our phones. So the silver lining is that there were not a lot of foreign transaction fees, and not many credit card points lost!

Have begun international travel after many years...(tho theft occurs in US too!)

ALWAYS carry 1 card & 1 debit in bag & a DIFFERENT card & debit in a more protected area (money belt, etc).
My bag is a Travelon crossbody with lots of clips to deter theft; I need to share these stories w/ DH so he is more conscious as well.

Have begun international travel after many years...(tho theft occurs in US too!)

ALWAYS carry 1 card & 1 debit in bag & a DIFFERENT card & debit in a more protected area (money belt, etc).
My bag is a Travelon crossbody with lots of clips to deter theft; I need to share these stories w/ DH so he is more conscious as well.

Same here, keep a CC and cash in a couple of spots on my body, and keep some back at the hotel hidden.

Figure it would be unlikely my hotel room and I are robbed on the same day.
Plus DW carries CC & cash in different spots on body too.
We have separate individual CC's so mine being stolen doesn't affect hers.

Yep, I didn't want to offend anyone with the term "gypsies." But that's what they are and hard to control in Italy for some reason.

On my last trip we met with a gypsy woman in Romania and had dinner with her and her family. (This was Overseas Adventure Travel, which includes a few discussion on controversial local topics.) She actually preferred the term "gypsy" to "Roma". Her father owned an auto repair business (we saw his property entering town- loaded with vehicles, apparently for parts) and she earned her living as a seamstress.

It's sad and eye-opening to see children in my travels who are begging, selling candy on the streets (with Mom nearby) at 9 PM and learning how to pick pockets. I have to remind myself they're survival tactics and contribute where I can to change their lives.

This thread makes me appreciate Apple Pay. I carry a credit and atm card just in case, but those are zippered up in an inside pocket. ....

Very good point. We occasionally have chosen to pay with cash--as we did the morning of the theft. (Hmmm.)

Rather silly of us, as except for a handful of street food vendors in Penang and rural Peru (and one clothing vendor in Bali), electronic payments have been acceptable everywhere we've been. Using the phone and google pay is easier and safer, and we are using it exclusively for the remainder of this trip. If one of us loses a phone, we can deactivate it and continue with the other--and still have a backup hard copy of a card and cash.

Thanks. The products look interesting/useful. I've calendared it for when we return home.

Back
Top Bottom