After Dinner and Before Bed...

If you like WW2 era shows (fiction), I highly recommend Foyle's War on Amazon Prime/Acorn TV. Each film is about 1.5 hours long. 9 seasons, each season has 3 to 4 episodes.

Reactions: W2R
Build an igloo so you have a new house every night. That's what we do, beats vacuuming. It is possible that our days are shorter and colder than yours.

I live in Montana, so weather is always something to deal with. In the winter I'm out as much as I am in any other season. My point is find a new activity that you can learn to do in the outdoors.
Dress for the weather and have fun. Ice fishing is about here now so in my area, weather doesn't stop people from being out and doing the same thing they did in warm weather.

Have you discovered the New York Times Spelling Bee game? I was NEVER a puzzle person, but I love this, and my husband takes a turn at it too. It’s gotten me into other puzzles as well. I am with you though—recently retired and finding it hard to fill the days.

When the days are longer and warmer, I/we would go for a long walk or work in the yard....something outside.

Now, with the colder and shorter days, I find myself bored. We watch Jeopardy but I am not much of a TV guy. I like to read and would be perfectly happy on the couch with a book, but my wife does not. I could go back out in the shop and tool around a bit (pun intended), but again, I would like to do something with my wife.

I know some of you lucky folks live in warmer areas, and although TN isn't terrible, it is definitely not CA or FL.

So...kind of a silly post, I guess, but just curious what some of you folks do after dinner and before bed.....

I spend 60 to 90 minutes on a treadmill and then either lift weights or use the rowing machine. I started doing this two years ago. I lost about 25 pounds in six months and I have kept it off for eighteen months. I watch television while I exercise, and when a good football game or movie is on, time more or less flies by. Now well into my 7th decade

Exercising indoors, playing piano, reading, working on computer, some indoor chores maybe, web surfing…..

I don’t really eat dinner as I have a large meal late afternoon that could be lunch or dinner, so I have lots of hours afterwards including daylight hours.

I take my last walk of the day at 8:30 PM. Then it's spending time on my Chromebook and DW usually watches a movie or does some Facebook with her daughters. Not very exciting here these days. :D

We try to watch no more than one hour of TV per day when at home, almost always in the evening, so the longer we can wait the better, because to bed pretty much always follows any TV viewing.

To delay flipping it on as long as we can after dinner, we most often will spend time playing our respective instruments, guitar (me) and piano (DH). No matter how tired I might feel, playing always perks me right up. We also enjoy playing cribbage, backgammon and farkle. We also look for things to do outdoors in the evening post dinner, including sitting outside to watch the sunset, or hillside lights as they go on, or the stars as they come up, usually with a mug of warm herb tea.

Crafting also keeps me going post-dinner. I much enjoy making handmade holiday ornaments each year, and they can take hours and hours each to do.

General travel research will also keep me going. It's always fun and exciting.

An enthralling book also fits in there. ETA: Love doing this with one of the long running YouTube cozy coffee music channels going on the TV as background. The channels, of which there are tons, will show a static cozy scene, often including waves breaking, or rain or snow falling, and soft music, generally instrumental jazz. We turn these on after dinner, and can read happily for several hours with the soft scene and music. Really terrific invention, thanks to whoever came up with these! Search Cozy Cafe Music on YouTube if interested. Here's a link to just one as an example - note that it's 8 hours long, and other than the one at the beginning, there are no commercials:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom