After Dinner and Before Bed...

We listen to music and have a drink around the fire table in the evenings. It's comfortable until it drops to around 5C (about 40F).

Unless it is extremely cold and windy, we bundle up and go for a walk anyway, and I live significantly farther north than OP does. Sometimes it feels a little cold for the first few minutes, but once the blood gets pumping, I warm up quickly. I tell her I'm going for a walk, would you like to join me? If she goes, great, if not, that's ok too, at least I ask and offer.

We recently moved to a neighborhood with well kept sidewalks and streetlights so there really isn't any good reason not to get exercise when the days are shorter and the nights are longer.

BIG + 1

the health benefits outweigh the cold.

we try to do at least 20-30 mins of a vigorous walk after dinner to get the blood flowing and warm us up but keep it slow enough to hold a conversation.

I'm pretty boring most of the time. I settle into bed with Netflix and a crochet project and read from about 9:30 to 10 PM before turning out the light. I miss my late husband but I LOVE having the remote control all to myself!

It's more interesting when BF comes over and spends the night.:D

Last edited:

Sure, that's good for 20 minutes, but then what?!? :LOL:

We tend to eat a little later than most folks (about 8'ish) so we will get in about an hour of TV/reading and then usually in bed by 9:00 or so. I have turned into an early bird (I HATED early mornings when I was w*rking, but love them now!) so not too much time to "fill" in the evenings.

Last edited:
When the days are longer and warmer, I/we would go for a long walk or work in the yard....something outside.

Now, with the colder and shorter days, I find myself bored. We watch Jeopardy but I am not much of a TV guy. I like to read and would be perfectly happy on the couch with a book, but my wife does not. I could go back out in the shop and tool around a bit (pun intended), but again, I would like to do something with my wife.

I know some of you lucky folks live in warmer areas, and although TN isn't terrible, it is definitely not CA or FL.

So...kind of a silly post, I guess, but just curious what some of you folks do after dinner and before bed.....

I am a morning person and don't sit down a lot during the day or watch a ton of TV. So after dinner I am ready to sit and veg and so is DH. We may doze off and then the challenge is staying awake until bedtime. I browse on my laptop and we watch some TV together. I notice I am more tired since I don't sit at a desk all day like I did when I worked FT.

We go out for dinner 3 times a week but otherwise we usually watch TV (DW) or YouTube (me) at night - because we deliberately do NOT watch TV during the day at all. During the day we do everything else - e.g. read, cook, exercise, shop, house and yard work, golf, sail, tai chi, investing/financial planning, day trips, etc. And fill in with surfing the net here and there throughout the day and evening. And we probably both turn in earlier than most, 9ish.

Last edited:
DH and I play card and board games for an hour or so everyday (usually around lunch time). Our current games are : Chess, Gin Rummy, Kings in the Corner, Monopoly Deal (card game), Quiddler (word card game similar to scrabble) and Rummikub. Because of Covid we now stay in after dinner and watch TV. Pre Covid after dinner we would usually attend a music or sporting event, visit friends or go dancing--I am really missing all that.

Some nights I help our 10 year granddaughter with her homework. She's got straight A's too.

Other nights, I'm looking at a long, long Facebook Watch online AND looking at Fox News' nighttime lineup. Before bed, I often go to YouTube.com for light jazz music.

Unless it is extremely cold and windy, we bundle up and go for a walk anyway, and I live significantly farther north than OP does. Sometimes it feels a little cold for the first few minutes, but once the blood gets pumping, I warm up quickly. I tell her I'm going for a walk, would you like to join me? If she goes, great, if not, that's ok too, at least I ask and offer.

We recently moved to a neighborhood with well kept sidewalks and streetlights so there really isn't any good reason not to get exercise when the days are shorter and the nights are longer.

That works here, until it snows... then the sidewalks are not plowed by the city like the streets, so it becomes not safe to walk due to ice and snow.

Good stuff. As you all have mentioned, there are plenty of great things to do. It is just recently since the clocks moved back and it is cold and dark at 5pm have I been feeling bored at night. Plenty to do besides vegging in front of the TV....which isn't bad either.

Wife plays games or surfs on her phone/tablet then watches TV in the family room. I'm not much of a TV fan (nor even a video fan) but I have a desk with a PC near the sofa. I surf and play games. So, we're in the same room and interact sporadically.

Sometimes we watch Netflix documentaries at my house. Usually historical stuff on topics like WW2, the JFK assassination, or Prohibition.

I've watched so many WW2 films and documentaries, that I think I'm tapped out on that, but hadn't thought about prohibition as a subject. I think I've watched a total of one documentary about prohibition. Thanks for the idea. Finally - a new subject to search on!

I'd say do stuff that is fun and enjoy life!

+1,000. The #1 rule for retirement!

I've watched so many WW2 films and documentaries, that I think I'm tapped out on that, but hadn't thought about prohibition as a subject. I think I've watched a total of one documentary about prohibition. Thanks for the idea. Finally - a new subject to search on!
Great! While you are watching, you may hear names of mobsters of that era, speakeasies, dancing the Charleston, musicians of the Prohibition era, or other interesting trivia which can lead to more new subjects to search on. I have found that if I can get really enthused about one topic, others seem to appear out of nowhere so maybe that will work for you.

+1,000. The #1 rule for retirement!

So true! :D

Back
Top Bottom