Votes: 3 0.7%

Votes: 50 11.7%

Votes: 207 48.5%

Votes: 124 29.0%

Votes: 38 8.9%
  • Other or prefer not to say.

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters
Even if you don't want it, it would make sense to start taking it at 70. Waiting any longer is just throwing money away.

True - no increase to SS under current law for delaying draw beyond age 70.

But this does beg a question. If you indeed delay your application beyond age 70, will you receive all the back payments that would have been due since age 70 such as in a lump sum?

BTW currently age 53 -- One of the very first GenXers. Ceased employment at age 47.

Last edited:
But this does beg a question. If you indeed delay your application beyond age 70, will you receive all the back payments that would have been due since age 70 such as in a lump sum?

The lump sum amount SS pays is limited to six months of retroactive benefits. So I suppose that means the actual deadline for taking SS is age 70.5.

Last edited:
Just like Santa

I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth.

I'm 57 and DW is 58. I retired 5 years ago and she retired 2 years ago. Life is good.

The lump sum amount SS pays is limited to six months of retroactive benefits. So I suppose that means the actual deadline for taking SS is age 70.5.
I guess. As long as you enjoy giving interest-free 6 month loans to the Social Security Administration.

Farmer either has no clue how SS works or is pulling everyone’s leg. Remember he believes you buy a SS policy and pay into it if you choose to. Must not have TV or internet in rural Maine:))

I turned 62 earlier this month and DW turned 62 two days before me.

I turned 55 earlier this year. I may technically be a baby boomer but I feel more like a Gen-Xer because I can't really relate to anything big which happened in the 1960s. My ladyfriend turned 55 in late March.

In 2 months I will have been retired for 10 years. Except for health issues which have arisen in the last 3 years, it has been a great ER. Had I still been working, it would have been a LOT tougher on my to worry about my job while fighting to get well. Being retired was crucial because I could devote all of my time and effort into making myself well again.

I can relate. No super big health crisis yet since ER, but not working is so much better for my joints. i can spend a lot more time with helpful exercises and other natural forms of pain management. Also without the job stress, my diet is much better now. Nice to be able to spend a little time on self care now, is it not?

58 soon, retired a few months after turning 55.

I have always perceived a real demarcation in attitude among the boomers, it seems to me it falls around the age one would have, or one's male relatives and friend would have, been at risk of the draft in the Vietnam era. I always saw my older boomer cousins as quite frenzied for experiences, good and bad ones, perhaps because of the fear of death (not that I realized it at the time, only years later, as i was just a kid and only thought they were a bit nutty) while us younger boomers were way more conventional almost perhaps as a way to set ourselves apart from them.

Last edited:
55 and 54. Semi-retired at 49 and work approx 10-15 hours per month on rental portfolio.

I can relate. No super big health crisis yet since ER, but not working is so much better for my joints. i can spend a lot more time with helpful exercises and other natural forms of pain management. Also without the job stress, my diet is much better now. Nice to be able to spend a little time on self care now, is it not?
This is the first thing I shall be doing as my "retirement job."

Q: "So, Joe, what are you going to retire to?" ... A: "Exercise and health"

You may want to add more options for young dreamers! I just barely made the second last option.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom