Anyone make their own pizza? Is it worth the time, effort and clean up?

I make my own pizza all the time using the bread machine to make the dough. The main reason I do it is to have exact control topping portions and crust thickness.

My favourite is one with chicken, bacon, and bell and banana peppers. Barbeque sauce works better than tomato sauce on chicken pizza...

For the dough I grind my own flour from white wheat. If we have company I will do 50/50 whole wheat and tool of the Devil (white flour). If it is just us, I will do 100% whole wheat. In all cases I add a bunch of gluten since freshly ground flour generally has poor gluten formation and the pizza dough needs it anyway. Last time I made pizza it was brew day for an Oktoberfest, so I used spent grain and some wort in the crust and it was amazing.

If I have the time, sometimes I will make fresh mozzarella on pizza day and make a margherita pizza with fresh basil and tomatoes.

Many stores have a health food section and you can usually find gluten there. My store sells Bob's Vital Wheat Gluten. I don't know what you do if you want ordinary non-vital wheat gluten. :confused:

I put a TBL in my dough when I use whole wheat which is often.

I make my own pizza all the time using the bread machine to make the dough. The main reason I do it is to have exact control topping portions and crust thickness.

Ditto the bread machine. For every loaf of bread I make I probably make 20+ batches of pizza dough with it. Thanks to this device while i am busy loafing around the house, my dough is being prepared!!:D

For the dough I grind my own flour from white wheat....If I have the time, sometimes I will make fresh mozzarella on pizza day ...

OK, I was pretty proud of the fact that I'd make my own dough and sauce from scratch.

You really burst my bubble! :)

OK, I was pretty proud of the fact that I'd make my own dough and sauce from scratch.

Making flour is not that hard. I have a Blend-Tech blender. Toss in a couple cups of wheat berries, set it to #9 and let it grind them up. Instant, fresh, whole grain flour. I leave the stone and water mill to Brewer12345.

About a year ago I made pizza at home (with homemade dough), just to give it a try. It was good, so I made it again. Then DH decided that he likes my pizza much more than what we get at the pizza shop, so "we" should always have homemade pizza instead of carry out.

I had to explain to him that when I occasionally suggested pizza for dinner, there were two possible reasons. #1, I might be hankering for pizza. #2, I don't feel like cooking. If I'm in mood #1 he will get his homemade pizza. If I'm in mood #2, fat chance!

Eh, when you buy wheat in 50# sacks you look for ways to use it.

You have a cow in the back yard to supply milk for the mozzarella, right?

Cow in the back yard? That's crazy.

You need a water buffalo. Much better cheese.

You have a cow in the back yard to supply milk for the mozzarella, right?

Town code would forbid that. I think I am legal to have a goat or two, though.

Get a Cape buffalo.......she'll give you free exercise too....running you around the yard. :LOL:

We got out of the Rover to stalk one while in SA on safari. Got close enough to watch him blowing bubbles out the nose. The wind changed a little and nobody looked back.

Milking.:eek:

I know where you can get one - at a very reasonable price!

What? Selling your adorable little pet goat, the one that loves you (and the interior of your house) so very, very much? Oh shame on you. :LOL:

I think you should name it "Billy" and get it microchipped and vaccinated, and there you go. Pet goat, that didn't cost you a cent. ;)

Last edited:
We got out of the Rover to stalk one while in SA on safari. Got close enough to watch him blowing bubbles out the nose. The wind changed a little and nobody looked back.

Milking.:eek:

They're sneaky devils too...circle round and come up from the other direction.

I do not make my own pizza but a neighbor does and they are great as you can be more adventurous. He had a bunch of guys over one afternoon and he helped us make our own. With a goodly quantity of beer and shooting the bull it was a memorable afternoon. Good skill to have, I say.

I make it at home sometimes.

Layer thin sliced prosciutto over the top and stick it under the broiler at the end so the meat goes a bit crispy.

Have to respond to this one ...

Yes

All home made , including the Pizza oven (included in the design .... 200 empty wine bottles , the engineers might figure out where !!)
Cater for 20 people at a time ... have a party ... oven takes 3 to 4 hours to get up to temp (380 Centigrade) ... cooks pizza in 90 secs (or 1.5 minutes)

(Oven is wood fired ... home grown wood)

hard to beat .................

We just came back from a grocery warehouse. I saw a 50-lb sack of high-gluten flour for $10.

I thought of this thread, and said to myself that this sack would make a LOT of pizza. But how many? Perhaps 200?

I thought of this thread, and said to myself that this sack would make a LOT of pizza. But how many? Perhaps 200?
One....if your oven's big enough. :LOL:

we just came back from a grocery warehouse. I saw a 50-lb sack of high-gluten flour for $10.

I thought of this thread, and said to myself that this sack would make a lot of pizza. But how many? Perhaps 200?

Back
Top Bottom