Anyone make their own pizza? Is it worth the time, effort and clean up?

All this talk of cows, goats, mozzarella and pizza reminded me of an excursion while on a cruise that took us to a farm not far from Sorrento. It was beautiful. We sampled olives and meats and fresh mozzarella and wine of course while they did a demo of hand making mozzarella from scratch. Then we went on a brief walking tour of the place. The hillside farm had olive trees, grapes, and a variety of vegetables, as well as a few cows, goats, and chickens. As we walked down the hill, I heard horrendous bleating sounds from a goat pen next to the path. I hung back as the tour guide/family member went on with the group. The goat was in distress and I was concerned until I realized she was giving birth-to healthy triplets. I told the guide and she came back and checked on the goat in a rather nonchalant manner. We ended the tour at the farm's small winery, sampling their wine and limoncello and other liqueurs. We had pizza for lunch that afternoon.

The mozzarella looked fairly easy to make, actually.

Our bread machine had its magic smoke escape, then it just sat there. I started using the kitchen-aide with a bread hook. I think it's easier both to make and clean up afterward with the mixer. My preference is Chicago or Motown style pizza. We have a pair of ceramic pans that cook in.350-400 degrees f. Precooked the dough for ten minutes, put on toppings. Cook for 30-40 minutes more.

Hummus Lebanese or Greek pizza are hits at our house. One slice is a meal. These spices make a good fusion with traditional Italian spices.

50 lb / 42 = 1.2 lb

A pizza made with this much flour is of what size? Like this?

pizza-buying-guide.jpg

Half a pound of flour is a good ballpark number for a pizza.

Could be. The recipe I use is 153 grams(5.46 oz) of flour per each crust. We make them pretty thin, each is two meals for us. The recipe says you can double the number to over a half pound(almost 11 ounces).

That's a problem right? How big is the crust? Your definition is OK by me. Somehow I'll eat the extra.:D

Last edited:
Valentine's Day (Heart Shaped facsimile) Pizza a la Chez Nemo:

Pre oven
ieqxar.jpg

Après oven
28jfghi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom