Appropriate Dress for Interview

Could it have been that the interviewers, looking at your attire, thought that you'd be constantly searching for something better, while the other guy'd be around for the long term?

That's what I was thinking as well. Although that was a union paper mill. Anyone doing manual labor in my area knows it doesn't get better than that(paper mill) from a financial standpoint. I guess they could have thought I would be looking to move to an office job or something like that.

Agree dress smart, regardless of the position. At very least nice shirt, slacks, tie.

In addition, be 5 mins early. Don't bring a coffee or any drink. And let him know to not have his phone in his hand, not to even put it down in front of him. If someone even so much as glanced at their phone when I was interviewing them they would be done.

(caption = dress for the job you want)
DGPGcsEUMAEiO3m.jpg:large

That's what I would think. I worked in mills, perceived overdressing could be seen that way. Who would have thought?

Good point. I was previously describing my last place of IT work. In my own career of now obsolete professions, dressing for the position clearly was the way to go. one time at a mine in Wyoming where I was employed (in 1980), we had a 'secretary' position open. The most qualified person, who had just moved back home from Denver, showed up dressed like an urban job applicant. But she didn't get the job, because she was overdressed for the area (as per the hiring manager). Another time, I got a job wearing just a short sleeve collared shirt and slacks for a summer engineering job, rather than the ties and coats I usually wore and never got those summer jobs. So dressing for the position does count.

If someone even so much as glanced at their phone when I was interviewing them they would be done.

+1000

When working I was irked by the idiots that would answer a call while I was in their office and talk for 5-10 minutes. Yes there are cases when an important call was expected and needed to be taken, but those were <1% of the time.

The person you are talking to face to face deserves 100% of your attention. And this goes for both the interviewee and the interviewer.

While my vote is for one step below a full on suit, I fully concur with all, that any error in over dressing is way better than under dressing. Further, OP said the company is in the mid-west. That's a pretty conservative dressing part of the country.

And let him know to not have his phone in his hand, not to even put it down in front of him. If someone even so much as glanced at their phone when I was interviewing them they would be done.

+1000 here also. In fact, I'd leave it in the car. Unless I had a dying family member, anything else can wait for the short time an interview takes.

I had an interview once and the interviewer took a call. Not only did I know right then that I didn't get the job, it was all I could do to maintain my professional composure and not walk right out.

+1000

When working I was irked by the idiots that would answer a call while I was in their office and talk for 5-10 minutes.

I had never seen a blue tooth before. Im sitting waiting for our assignments/roll call, and a new guy started talking to himself. I figured he was a psyco. I told one of the guys, Lets jump and disarm him till we figure out whats wrong with him. He had to explain to me the whole blue tooth thing. I brushed it off with telling my friend "well we arent supposed to carry personal phones when were working anyway".:LOL:

I had never seen a blue tooth before. Im sitting waiting for our assignments/roll call, and a new guy started talking to himself. I figured he was a psyco. I told one of the guys, Lets jump and disarm him till we figure out whats wrong with him. He had to explain to me the whole blue tooth thing. I brushed it off with telling my friend "well we arent supposed to carry personal phones when were working anyway".:LOL:

Off topic here, but I always contended that blue tooth headsets were the best thing that ever happened to people that talk to themselves on the street corners. It is impossible to tell a crazy person from a person talking on a blue tooth headset, so the crazy people get the benefit of any doubt.

The blue tooth ear pieces that glow remind me of the borg.

off topic here, but i always contended that blue tooth headsets were the best thing that ever happened to people that talk to themselves on the street corners. It is impossible to tell a crazy person from a person talking on a blue tooth headset, so the crazy people get the benefit of any doubt.

:D

Just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean they are not out there.:D

In addition, be 5 mins early.

'Lombardi Time', (from Vince Lombardi's motivational vids):

- If you're early, you're on time.

- If you're on time, you're late.

- If you're late, don't bother showing up.

Suit and tie.
Clean shoes
Fresh haircut
Leave phone in car
No gum chewing
Bring copy of resume, etc
Be 15 minutes early
Sit up straight and look at the interviewer when answering their questions

In addition, be 5 mins early. Don't bring a coffee or any drink. And let him know to not have his phone in his hand, not to even put it down in front of him. If someone even so much as glanced at their phone when I was interviewing them they would be done.

Good advice- He's pretty smart as far as this goes (I think). But I will suggest he leaves the phone in his car.

One time I applied for a job at UPS. They said be at their facility at 6:30 am. The first thing the UPS management told us, those of us that were there at 6:30 am sitting in the conference room, was that any of the job applicants arriving at 6:30 am or after were not allowed in to the facility. Everyone in there was hired (part time night shift jobs).

This is true.

I used to talk to people I thought were talking to me. They would turn and look at me like I was nuts and it was only then I saw the borg implant.

I think we should all "chat up" the borg, especially since we are retired. Could be fun!

Off topic here, but I always contended that blue tooth headsets were the best thing that ever happened to people that talk to themselves on the street corners. It is impossible to tell a crazy person from a person talking on a blue tooth headset, so the crazy people get the benefit of any doubt.

:LOL:, Yeah I thought he was some nut.

If I was going on a job interview (not likely) I would dress for success (not getting the job) jorts, plain (underwear) white T-shirt, flip flops and grizz on face.

Shades, earbuds and a half eaten burger in one hand and a bottle of water (in a brown paper bag) in the other hand.

A meal of beans and cabbage a couple of hours before to add fragrance - :)

I always tried to be early, I found I was more relaxed the rest of the day. I could shine my shoes and sip a coffee ,re-adjust my "gig" line. Being late in my old job was like a mortal sin. My first few weeks someone was late, maybe by 10 minutes. He was showing his dirty hands and saying "Sarge, I had a flat". Answer was you should have left early and accounted for the fact you Might get a flat. As usual some Draconian punishment was handed out.

If I was going on a job interview (not likely) I would dress for success (not getting the job) jorts, plain (underwear) white T-shirt, flip flops and grizz on face.

Shades, earbuds and a half eaten burger in one hand and a bottle of water (in a brown paper bag) in the other hand.

A meal of beans and cabbage a couple of hours before to add fragrance - :)

Sounds like your best Bill Murrey imatation.

Back
Top Bottom