Back above $3M

Agree that life events can set you back. I got divorced over four years ago. If that didn’t happen, I would have a nice house and be comfortably FI. Instead I have an ok house with ~5 more years to a comfortable FI.

No complaints though. I set myself up for growth and it’s paying off. Just takes time and patience.

When my DW and I got married we had about 30K between us saved and a negative net worth. We were both mid 40's. I don't remember the exact milestones. But once we decided that retirement was going to come whether we prepared or not, we got busy saving and investing.

2008 = Negative net worth
2016 = NW 1M
2023 = NW 2.1M

I expect we will be at 2.5M NW when we pull the plug and Retire.

One of the reasons I asked the 1M/2M/3M question is to note how fast the subsequent $1M increments come. Some are gaining $1M in just a year or two. And remember that the S&P 500 gained 0% from Oct 2007 until April 2013. Compounding and Continued Inputs, ftw.

The SP500 might have been had a zero gain from 10/07 to 4/2013, but it certainly wasn't a flat line. There were plenty of peaks and valleys in there, so anyone dollar cost averaging throughout that period probably made out well. I lost about half of everything between October of 2007 and November 2008. However, by November 2009 I was back to all time highs. However, that included additional investments during that timeframe. I was probably "made whole again" (back to the 10/07 peak + the value of additional investments) sometime in early 2010. Although, that summer I recall the market tanking again a bit.

Looking back at my own records, at the end of October 2007, I was at $422,013.
At the end of April 2013, I was at $809,054.

I don't have records easily available of how much I invested each month, but for the years in that span I added:
2007: $26,921
2008: $30,732
2009: $69,394
2010: $38,639
2011: $25,353
2012: $28,723
2013: -$17,811 (I forget now what I did with the money).

So, let's pretend that whatever I put in the last 2 months of 2007 and took out the first 4 months of 2013 cancel each other out, to make it easier. That would mean from 2008-2012, I put in $192,841.

So, even during that relatively "lost" period, I still managed to make $194,200 in gains (unless a finger slipped on the calculator)

Now, this is thanks to dollar cost averaging, since I continued to invest, during the ups and downs of the market. I guess if you had an SP500 fund in October 2007, and didn't touch it, in theory it would be worth about the same in April of 2013. So if a retiree had put everything into an SP500 fund and just left it alone during that time period, and had to actually pull money out to live off of, they might have eroded it somewhat in that timeframe.

Last edited:
The SP500 might have been had a zero gain from 10/07 to 4/2013 ...
This appears to be based on the nominal value of the S&P, not the total return. (https://www.multpl.com/s-p-500-historical-prices/table/by-month) The S&P gain or loss is the sum of the nominal return and the dividend return -- total return. IMO, this confusion is both common and significant.

Using this calculator: https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/ I see the S&P total return over the October 2007 to April 2013 to be a little over 15%, or 2.6% annually. Definitely not "zero gain."

This appears to be based on the nominal value of the S&P, not the total return. (https://www.multpl.com/s-p-500-historical-prices/table/by-month) The S&P gain or loss is the sum of the nominal return and the dividend return -- total return. IMO, this confusion is both common and significant.

Using this calculator: https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/ I see the S&P total return over the October 2007 to April 2013 to be a little over 15%, or 2.6% annually. Definitely not "zero gain."

I was referring to the S&P levels, not the gain with dividends. Good catch.

The first $1M was probably around 2005. In 2011 we had $4M including real estate. By 2013 we had $3M invested in stocks and I retired. In November 2021 we had just passed $10M including real estate, with about $7.5M invested in stocks and bonds. Right now we’re at $10M with $7M in stocks and bonds plus five houses totaling around $3M. We withdraw about $300k/year to live on, help family and support charities. Half of that in dividends and interest.

Our HHNW milestones:

2004 EOY $1 million
2007 EOY $2 million
2012 EOY $3 million
2013 EOY $9 million (big jump due to inheritance)
2015 EOY $12 million (I retired and DW kept working; DW finally made it into senior management in MegaCorp and hit paydirt)
2019 EOY $21 million (big jump due to massive appreciation in RE holdings + DW's MegaCorp comps; we also plowed more money into RE)
2021 EOY $29 million (another big jump due to Covid-fueled appreciations in RE and equities)
2022 EOY $27 million (declines due to RE and equity market correction)

Good news/bad news: When you get to those astronomical numbers, they will no longer seem astronomical. Just sorta normal numbers.

+1

No matter how big the number is, eventually you "get used to it" and the number itself just sort of loses its "impact".

In my personal experience, the downside of getting used to seeing a big number as normal is that it can be easy to lose perspective on the value of a smaller dollar amount. It's easy to start seeing or dismissing a 3-figure or a 4-figure or even a 5-figure amount as "not much money" because they seem trivial to the big number that I am used to seeing. My whole perspective on what constitutes "a lot of money" gets skewed by my personal circumstances, and that can be a slippery slope when it comes to spending or even investing (e.g. not seeking out extra returns on my money because the incremental extra returns don't seem to be worth the effort required).

Last edited:
Back on Nov 19, 2021 I posted a celebratory thread about hitting NW of $3M (ex RE). :

Congratulations! Every 1M is a really BIG deal!

The target I'm chasing is "worth our weight in gold". We did it once, but sadly since then we have gained weight, and the price of gold has risen faster than our earnings. This metric is the time tested definition of being "rich".
Today this metric is roughly the start of the top 1%.

So we sit at $6m+ and that was with retiring at 57. That puts us in the top 2%-3% range. If I would have worked to say 62 based on what we were saving and not having to take out, we could have gotten close to $8m, but then the old question of trading time for money comes into play. In all likelihood without heirs, our charities will benefit greatly anyway.
The numbers are fun, but how much is enough? It’s up to everyone to decide.

The numbers are fun, but how much is enough? It’s up to everyone to decide.

I agree. We have more than enough.
That’s why we’re giving some away now where we can decide where it goes. Even so, even average returns show we’ll end up with more at the end than we have now. Pessimistic projections show us leaving about what we have now.

I agree. We have more than enough.
That’s why we’re giving some away now where we can decide where it goes. Even so, even average returns show we’ll end up with more at the end than we have now. Pessimistic projections show us leaving about what we have now.

We’re in the same boat. We spend all we want and still will likely have more upon our death.

... In my personal experience, the downside of getting used to seeing a big number as normal is that it can be easy to lose perspective on the value of a smaller dollar amount. It's easy to start seeing or dismissing a 3-figure or a 4-figure or even a 5-figure amount as "not much money" because they seem trivial to the big number that I am used to seeing ...

A couple of indications that I might be a tad detached from the financial reality faced by most Americans:

(1) The preset ACH transfer amount options on Vanguard's website are all $10k or less. I don't ever have a need to transfer such a small amount of money.

(2) In TurboTax the estimated tax calculation rounding options are to the nearest $10 or the nearest $100. I need the nearest $1k.

So ... am I living in la la land? :D

Interesting thread. Seems I'm a slower growth investor than most here...First 1M achieved in about 2007... Then the '09 setback, when I was 40-something. I bailed on equities during the turmoil but - regrettably stayed too conservative, never reinvesting into a higher equity exposure since. Basically a moderate-conservative AA. Fast forward to now and at 65 this year, my PF value is about 2.6M with a house that's maybe another $200k, and no debt, and 'semi'-retired and not really reliant on work income (which is worth something in itself) and Divs generating abt. 80k/year. It's been a frustrating year in this market...watching this PF value just languishing or losing --usually because of bond funds more than anything else. Took major hits in NAV on those and ...not getting much relief or rebound this year...as I assume a few here might be able to relate to. In any case, I'll be ok, as far as I can tell, and do not have an extravagant lifestyle or high COLA so...there's that too.

Last edited:
Interesting thread and happy to see so many follow NW. I am a believer that this is the most important metric because it covers investment performance, spending and debt.

Anyway, we also hit our peak in March of 22 and today sit at just north of 12M. I have been retired 5 years and take comfort that it has grown more than 10% since then and we have put two kids (mostly) through college and taken a lot of one time house expenses and nice trips.

The next 5 years will be interesting but frankly I don't plan to do much on the investment front. I have moved a lot of stuff around during the past 5 years in order to reduce taxes and have just about got things to where I want them. I am around 60/30/10 with the 10 being in short term treasuries.

Net worth including home
$1M - 2005
$2M - 2017
$3M - 2021

Paid employment ended sooner than expected for both of us. Fortunately, by the time the last paycheck came in 2013, we had a significant emergency fund built up. Inheritances also helped a lot. I didn't feel comfortable saying I was retired until 2015. My spouse is still not comfortable with that word.

Are most of the people on this thread including their home as part of their Net Worth? Some have explicitly included it.

Are most of the people on this thread including their home as part of their Net Worth? Some have explicitly included it.

I typically include real estate, including my primary residence, when calculating net worth. Otherwise I call it investable assets or liquid investments.

Based on the numbers here and the general spend habits, posters of this forum will be a part of the great wealth transfer

A couple of indications that I might be a tad detached from the financial reality faced by most Americans:

(1) The preset ACH transfer amount options on Vanguard's website are all $10k or less. I don't ever have a need to transfer such a small amount of money.

(2) In TurboTax the estimated tax calculation rounding options are to the nearest $10 or the nearest $100. I need the nearest $1k.

So ... am I living in la la land? :D

Yours are perfect examples of what I call "decision points" (i.e., the amount below which an "one-off" spending or investment decision doesn't materially impact one's NW). Obviously the higher the NW, the higher amount the "decision points".

So for the average household, the decision point amount is probably in the 2 to 3 figures, but for the FIRE folks on this board, the amount is likely well into the 4 or 5 figures or even higher. So in that sense, we're all living in a la la land compared to the average non-FI/RE household.

Last edited:

I know a lot of people do, but I don't. The equity in my home doesn't even cross my mind for the most part, although it's good to know it's there if I need it. However, it doesn't really help me out, unless I sell the house and cash out. Or, if I borrow against it, but then it also becomes a monthly expense.

I try to use the phrase "invested assets" or something else, but probably do slip up and say "net worth" from time to time as well. If I wanted to include home equity, I'd probably say something redundant like "net worth, including home equity".

Yours are perfect examples of what I call "decision points" (i.e., the amount below which an "one-off" spending or investment decision doesn't materially impact one's NW). Obviously the higher the NW, the higher amount the "decision points".

So for the average household, the decision point amount is probably in the 2 to 3 figures, but for the FIRE folks on this board, the amount is likely well into the 4 or 5 figures or even higher. So in that sense, we're all living in a la la land compared to the average non-FI/RE household.

Funny thing though, even though we're in La-La-Land, comparatively, I do find I'm still easily annoyed by some trivial expenses. For instance, I have a '67 Pontiac Catalina that's about to go in the shop for its annual checkover. It only gets driven maybe 800-1000 miles per year, and its belts and hoses look good, but I don't trust them, as they're getting up in age. Well, that kind of stuff isn't so easy to track down anymore, so the mechanic said if I ordered the parts, he'd put them on. Well, just between an upper and lower radiator hoses, a spring that goes in the lower to keep it from collapsing (apparently a common thing with older cars), an alternator belt and a power steering belt (a/c doesn't work, so no need for that belt), I was looking at something like $110!

Are simple maintenance parts really that pricey these days for most cars?! I realize the typical modern car uses one serpentine belt for everything, so naturally that's going to be pricier. But still...maybe it's longer ago than I think, but I swear I can remember when all those parts combined would've only been like $20-30!

Also, I guess being low volume parts these days, that probably raises production costs. After all, Pontiac quit building its own V8s since part way through the 1981 model year!

Still, I think it's odd that I can lose $10K when the stock market goes just slightly south, yet I'm quibbling over $110 in car parts!

I'll admit that sometimes I'm in the grocery store, and something I don't normally buy might catch my eye. My first impulse might be "I can't afford it" or "that's too expensive." But sometimes I'll catch myself and be like "Okay now, that extra $1.85 isn't going to bankrupt you!"

Back
Top Bottom