Back above $3M

Different portfolio than the total market.

I have one stock that has increased my portfolio a lot. I haven't calculated if I'm up to my previous high or not. Technically, I'm overweighted in that stock now.

Similar for me. I have a large chunk of NVDA that I’ve owned since 2010 that has really helped me get back to the $3M mark recently

Man, you got me curious so run just a few numbers. I'm still ~11% down from all-time high in 2021. I'm up 600K from 2022.

I'm 8.65% down from my all time high, which was at the beginning of 2022.

In a way that makes me happy, but that all time high was just $30K short of a big goal that I have. Oh well! Patience is a virtue. :facepalm:

My stash is at a record.

But when comparing that stash in 2020 dollars vs. 2023 dollars, the real buying power of that amount is worth hundreds of thousands of $$$ dollars less over that short time period due to such high inflation during this time period, which is still very high.

In a way that makes me happy, but that all time high was just $30K short of a big goal that I have. Oh well! Patience is a virtue. :facepalm:

My story seems similar to yours W2R.

I'm down 11.0% from my Nov, 2021 all time high. (That high almost repeated again in Jan, 2022.)

Like you, at peak I nipped at a portfolio goal I have and then pulled back. :(

My equity allocation peaked at about 62% and is now down to 59.5%. It's dominated by TSM index funds but does contain just a bit of "wheel and deal" positions for my entertainment pleasure.:cool:

The fixed side is a combination of individual holdings in CD's, bonds and preferreds plus some actively managed bond funds.

Up 5.48% YTD as of close yesterday. A long way to go to get back to the high! :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
Similar for me. I have a large chunk of NVDA that I’ve owned since 2010 that has really helped me get back to the $3M mark recently

In my case, my adage of better lucky than good is at play. I've held much of my megacorp stock for 50+ years. It's finally turning to gold (heh, heh, and just in time!)

Congratulations...

My first million was by far the hardest to earn and took the longest to get and was the most exciting to see on my spreadsheet. :) I even had to make the column wider on my spreadsheet. :) Million number two came 10 times quicker and much easier but still it was a noteworthy milestone. By the time I got to three million, IIRC, it was just another number. I'll never get to 10m so I quit tracking it so closely. I still try to figure up my NW annually (at tax time) but other than that, I just let it ride.

We still track our NW and the individual pieces that make up our NW. Ever concerned about theft and fraud our belief is if you don't know what you have and where it is you won't know if some of it goes missing. Plus, it's a good way for my wife to learn about our financial situation since it's likely she'll be handling it solo one day.

I still remember the thrill of seeing it top $1m, then $2m and so on. :dance:

We have so much to be grateful for even being down from our highs W2R. For me being in the last quarter of life money really isn't a huge priority as it once was.

Health and aging are my focus and the rest will fall into place.

Last edited:
I think we’re still down roughly 10% from our peak. Of course that includes a year and a half of contributions so percentage wise it’s actually worse. I do what I always do- continue to save and hope for the best.

My stash is at a record.

But when comparing that stash in 2020 dollars vs. 2023 dollars, the real buying power of that amount is worth hundreds of thousands of $$$ dollars less over that short time period due to such high inflation during this time period, which is still very high.

Great point. I have to laugh when I hear the CNBC analysts trying to talk down inflation numbers, saying it's slowing. So a certain item that was $3.00 starting in 2020, is $6.47 now, but it's only up $.47 YOY. That's very little comfort, especially to those who aren't as fortunate as most of us at this forum.

Curious about this thread. Curious when you hit:
1M
2M
3M

I'll start a little lower. Hit 200 K in Y2K & thought I owned the world :)
1st hit 1M early 2017

Retired June 2015. Today I'm at 1.6M. I don't think I'll ever be a member of the 2M club, but still feel very fortunate.

Man, you got me curious so run just a few numbers. I'm still ~11% down from all-time high in 2021. I'm up 600K from 2022.

That sounds like my numbers too. Not a bad run so far but still got a ways to go.

That sounds like my numbers too. Not a bad run so far but still got a ways to go.

We will both get there someday again.

I rechecked my number and from the low in 2022 I'm up 697K as of today. When I posted 600K that was from May 2022 to May 2023.

The low for 2022 to May 2023 I'm up just about 700K but still down ~11% from the high.

Last edited:
It is encouraging to see the time taken to reach the next million reduce significantly. Looking forward to building my investable assets to 2M and watch the magic of compounding do its thing.

It is encouraging to see the time taken to reach the next million reduce significantly. Looking forward to building my investable assets to 2M and watch the magic of compounding do its thing.

Growth occurs from portfolio growth, saving, real estate growth, life events -inheritance, sales of business. Compounding helps, but it is just a part.

Very impressive numbers. Congratulations.

Thanks. The reality is a lot is savings. Some market growth. We sold a business. We sold a commercial property. My wife had an hesitance of about $300k. It all adds up.

Here's my rundown, although I'm going to do 500K increments, since I'm not in the upper echelons...

1998: Zero. Or, close enough to it. Finally finished digging out from under a bad divorce in 1996 that left me about $30K in the hole.
2010: $500K
2015: $1M
2017: $1.5M (this was helped partially by an inheritance that was in the process of transferring to me, over the course of 2017-2018)
2020: $2.0M (briefly, just before the COVID knock-down. I was back above $2.0M in November 2020)
2021: $2.5M (again, briefly in December, and maybe a couple days into January 2022)
As of this moment (May 2023), I'm hovering around the $2.4M mark. However, rate-of-return wise, I'm worse off than that, as I added about $178K of that myself, between 2022 and so far in 2023.

$3M is my goal number, where if I hit it tomorrow, I'd probably retire. However, I'm starting to think more about going out in April of 2025, when I turn 55. I may not be at $3M by then, but as long as the market doesn't tank, and inflation doesn't blow sky high, I think I'll be in a good place, financially. Plus, even now the idea of only having so many "good" years left, no matter how old I really live to be, is really sinking in, more and more.

Congratulations.

2.5 years ago I early retired and of course, knew net worth to the penny. Would check it all the time. Told myself that in time I'll ease up.

Not proud of it - but I check it once a month to the penny. And a couple times a week ballpark estimates.

3.25 years till Kid 1 starts college if things go as planned. I"m sort of fixated on this. I admit it.

Thanks. The reality is a lot is savings. Some market growth. We sold a business. We sold a commercial property. My wife had an hesitance of about $300k. It all adds up.
With such high numbers, why was your wife hesitant over $300k?
:LOL:

Congratulations.

2.5 years ago I early retired and of course, knew net worth to the penny. Would check it all the time. Told myself that in time I'll ease up.

Not proud of it - but I check it once a month to the penny. And a couple times a week ballpark estimates.

3.25 years till Kid 1 starts college if things go as planned. I"m sort of fixated on this. I admit it.

I used to be fixated until I could finally declare myself Financially Independent. At that point I checked when statements rolled in. Now, maybe once a year, if that. I know I have enough and that's better than a number to me. YMMV

2015 - 400K
2019 - 600K
2023 - 1.15M

Definitely been more fixated on adding to the pot in the second half of that decade. So much so, that I fell off my compounding curve by accelerating at an accelerating rate as they would say in physics.

Attachments

• RO.JPG
    RO.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 67
I recently surpassed my all-time high (at the end of 2021) & it felt good.

My stash is at a record.

Party pooper.

But look at it this way: my life expectancy is shorter now so it doesn't have to last as long.

Back
Top Bottom