Back above $3M

I was at $617k all time high in Oct 2021 but have not matched that since. Although I am very close.

My NW has always gone up in fits and starts. Just about the time I thought I was stuck, one of my MFs or other investments exploded and I experienced a big jump. Just the nature of the beast, I guess. YMMV

My NW has always gone up in fits and starts. Just about the time I thought I was stuck, one of my MFs or other investments exploded and I experienced a big jump. Just the nature of the beast, I guess. YMMV

Are you saying your MF went up in 2022?

You are so right! And as for me, I think I'm probably the happiest retiree on the forum, or one of the happiest.

When I was 13, my mother told me "These are the best years of your life". Yikes. I was dealing with mountains of homework that I had to do after bedtime under the covers using a flashlight until the wee hours of the morning. I also had to deal with mean girls at school, hours and hours of chores that I had to do after school, and big varsity football player brothers who thought it was entertaining to beat me up and listen to me squeal. :ROFLMAO: Those were definitely NOT the best years of my life, Mom!! :LOL:

But my years in retirement have more than made up for all that. The older I get, the better my life becomes. Everything now is just as I'd always dreamed it might be some day. And that's the honest truth, for me anyway. I'm so glad that I made it to 75 already, and hope to live many more years.

Agree. If one has reasonable health and monies in retirement, a lot of the other stuff falls into place.
I love being retired.

Whew!
First 12 pages of this thread I was thinking maybe I should get out and sell roses at the highway off ramp. I’m not half way to the $3M mark but I’m happy enough.

Whew!
First 12 pages of this thread I was thinking maybe I should get out and sell roses at the highway off ramp. I’m not half way to the $3M mark but I’m happy enough.

Having $3 mil or at least $2 mil is probably important for folks with no pension or SS (or other secure monthly income.) BUT for those of us with decent SS and pension income, most can survive on a Mil or even less.

$3 mil is a nice goal, but not necessary for most of us IMHO. Obviously, YMMV.

Having $3 mil or at least $2 mil is probably important for folks with no pension or SS (or other secure monthly income.)

So true. We have no pension or retiree health benefits. So, we will ned more than some others with the benefit of those things

With house, over $3
without house ... not.

I can't spend my house. But it suits us as and is paid off, giving us a nice-ish place to live in an area we enjoy. Not a fancy house (60 year old tract home), but it's ours.

And - if/when we sell, we'll realize some serious gains... probably get unhappy about the taxes we'll have to pay because of the gains.... but we'll have more cash in the bank.

In business school, we learned that net worth is assets minus liabilities. That includes house equity, car equity, furnishings - all assets minus liabilities. This is how businesses are evaluated. The balance sheet of businesses includes real estate equity(if any) and the value of other assets.

That said, retired folks like to concentrate on the sum of investable assets, not including personal homes and personal items. After all, we need our houses and our stuff, so we don’t include these in our calculations because we don’t intend to sell these and get money for them.

In business school, we learned that net worth is assets minus liabilities. That includes house equity, car equity, furnishings - all assets minus liabilities. This is how businesses are evaluated. The balance sheet of businesses includes real estate equity(if any) and the value of other assets.

That said, retired folks like to concentrate on the sum of investable assets, not including personal homes and personal items. After, we need our houses and our stuff, so we don’t include these in our calculations because we don’t intend to sell these and get money for them.

Only equity can be counted but it’s not liquid for house.
Not sure if I want to add my car on it.

Last edited:

That said, retired folks like to concentrate on the sum of investable assets, not including personal homes and personal items. After all, we need our houses and our stuff, so we don’t include these in our calculations because we don’t intend to sell these and get money for them.
I really don't understand the intensity of the discussion. Net worth and investable assets are simply numbers that comprise whatever components that the user of the numbers wishes to include.

If you were to go to the bank for a loan, their net worth form would definitely include the same things we all got in B-school. That is the net worth calculation that the bank wishes to use. If one goes home from that meeting and calculates net worth by a different method, so what?

I don't have much need for a net worth calculation but when I do it, estimated market value of both our city home and our lake home are included, as are very approximate numbers for our cars, my guns and tools, etc. I look at investable assets more often but none of those net worth assets are in the calculation I choose to use. But I don't care a whit if someone else's numbers include different calculations. If they're happy, I'm happy.

ESPP and 401(k) matching funds.

PC says we shouldn’t keep over 3% of portfolio on single stock. Do you have more than that?

Back
Top Bottom