BCBS lawsuit settlement postcard.

Thanks. Clearly I lost track of my own post!:LOL:

I remembered it because I haven't filed my own claim yet because I can't figure out if it includes the company small group plan we had for all but 3 years of the claim period. So I'm interested about group plans. The last 3 years I definitely qualify.

Got my form in the mail today. Spent 4 hours looking for old records, interrogating clerks at admin to clarify their unclear forms. Hope I get more than $5, lol. At least now I won't go through life wondering, lol.

I got a postcard and filed online. The $2.67 Billion reduces (attorney and admin fees) to a settlement fund of $1.9 Billion. I'll gladly take a check for any amount.

How many hours did the attorneys work to get $770,000,000? At $500 an hour, that 1,540,000 hours.

I haven't seen this posted, it has some info about payout. Says it is a high profile case with lots of employers, so likely a higher percentage than normal will return there info.
https://melitagroup.com/blog/blue-cross-blue-shield-class-action-lawsuit/
Quote:

Example for Individuals:

• 158,000,000: People covered by Employer sponsored plans. This rough analysis does not include individual plans or ASO plans. (Source: Kaiser Family Foundation)
  • 2,666,667: People covered by a BCBS plan (1 in 3)
  • $2,677,000,000: Total settlement amount
  • $1,900,000,000: Expected approximate distributable settlement (those who submit a valid, timely claim)
  • $146,154,000: Approximate award per year of coverage (13 years)
  • $2.78: Total award per year / Total people covered per year*
  • *Assuming all group health plan claimants file, but not considering individual plans or ASO contracts. Adding these elements would further reduce the total award per year per person covered.
    Example for Employer Plan
  • 100: Employees
  • $278: For employer per year
  • 5: Years of coverage
  • $1,387: Potential total award

Example for Individuals:

• 158,000,000: People covered by Employer sponsored plans. This rough analysis does not include individual plans or ASO plans. (Source: Kaiser Family Foundation)
  • 2,666,667: People covered by a BCBS plan (1 in 3)
  • $2,677,000,000: Total settlement amount
  • $1,900,000,000: Expected approximate distributable settlement (those who submit a valid, timely claim)
  • $146,154,000: Approximate award per year of coverage (13 years)
  • $2.78: Total award per year / Total people covered per year*
  • *Assuming all group health plan claimants file, but not considering individual plans or ASO contracts. Adding these elements would further reduce the total award per year per person covered.
    Example for Employer Plan
  • 100: Employees
  • $278: For employer per year
  • 5: Years of coverage
  • $1,387: Potential total award

Don't understand some of these numbers. Where does the 2,666,667 people covered number come from? If 1 in 3 people covered by an employer plan have BCBS isn't that ~52M people. I do agree that the estimated settlement amount ($2.78/year) probably isn't too far off.

Don't understand some of these numbers. Where does the 2,666,667 people covered number come from? If 1 in 3 people covered by an employer plan have BCBS isn't that ~52M people. I do agree that the estimated settlement amount ($2.78/year) probably isn't too far off.

I don't either, I posted hoping someone would explain it. It doesn't seem like much, even if you add back the $770,000,000 that the lawyers got.

If I was only overcharged $4 a year, my position would be the lawyers scammed the judge.

Mailed my paper form in 10/16/2021. Called up a few days ago to verify they received it. Said they would research it and call me back. No call back after 3 days. Called again, same answer, they will escalate it, and call me back. I asked for estimate of when they would call, and they said they had lots of 'other work to do' and would get to it when they could. I'm wondering if they have any incentive to 'never haver received' the form.

Bad decisions are one thing. Price fixing by companies is illegal, hurts consumers, and should be punished in my opinion.

(Although I note, as is typical in these situations, that the companies involved are not admitting fault.)

I can agree that price fixing should be punished, but lawsuits for crap are just that - lawsuits for crap.

I saw one recently against a cereal company (I think it was Post). A class-action suit because the cereal wasn't "healthy" enough - was some kind of multi-grain stuff that had more sugar in it that people thought they wanted for a "healthly" breakfast cereal. Hey, if you want a healthy breakfast why are you eating prepared preserved processed junk out of a box:confused:? You'd do better to cook something FRESH. But that's just my opinion.... :LOL:

Posted my claim online today. A little surprised that I didn't get an email acknowledgement. Better hold on to that claim number.

I called as third time to check on whether they received my paper form. They said yes they did! Gave me my claim number. Said just have to wait until the settlement $$$ is decided. Would not give me an estimate of wait time. That's OK, I can scratch it off my to do list for now, lol.

Anyone get any payment yet? Not that it should be here yet. Just curious.

DQ I love me some DQ--Plus a coupon good for 10% off at the Dairy Queen!!! My former employer had us on BCBS of Il. for years so mabey I'll get in on this windfall!

Assuming nobody else filed for this and the lawyers agree to take nothing, I should be getting my $2.67 Billion in February!

https://www.bcbssettlement.com/

On October 25, 2023, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed approval of the settlement agreement. The deadline for exhaustion of any additional appeals falls in the first quarter of 2024. Please check back in February 2024 for additional updates.

My claim status says "In Review" am I alone or has anyone checked status and got a different reply?

Back
Top Bottom