Beer Question

As a former Cleveland area resident, I will pile on the Great Lakes train. Any of their beers would be great.

I would also suggest anything made by Three Floyds or Bell's.

I know this is the low-hanging fruit, but why not Guinness?

Since different folks like different types of ale and beer.... [Some like 'em strong, others like 'em mild] for example Stout ale versus a Pale Lager beer. I would suggest something of good quality but in the middle.

I like Dark Beer and stronger flavors... but IMO - can't go wrong with most higher quality [Pale] Plisners or Lagers. It is middle of the road on the flavor scale but a safe bet unless you know the person's exact preferences.

What a broad array of choices! I would throw up my hands in confusion and provide iced tea instead. I am sure Khan will do better than I would, though.

What a broad array of choices! I would throw up my hands in confusion and provide iced tea instead.

Iced Tea when he mentioned beer? Anyway, still plenty of choices that one has available:

Sweet or not sweet?

If sweet - cane sugar, beet sugar, syrup, turbano, Stevia, sugar substitute?

Lemon? Mint?

Bag, loose?

green tea? wu long black tea? white tea? chai? herbal tea? rooibos? Blackberry, Ginseng?

Cold steep, hot brewed?

Decaf?

Fair Trade?

Learn About Tea - Comprehensive Tea Guide

-ERD50

Friend suggested a Sam Adams dark; they do sell that here.

Iced Tea when he mentioned beer?

Yes, selected and prepared as I wish. After all, it's my house, not a bar or restaurant. While I would go out of my way to accomodate allergies or food sensitivities, there is a limit when it comes to what I would regard as simply quirky tastes.

Now there's a thought - - I would probably choose to take him to a bar or restaurant for his beer, so that he could choose whatever he wanted.

Now there's a thought - - I would probably choose to take him to a bar or restaurant for his beer, so that he could choose whatever he wanted.

Well of course you are free to do as you choose But then you'd have to find a bar/restaurant that carries a good selection of beers, and that can be sometimes be much tougher than finding that selection in a store, and certainly more $$.

But the OP didn't ask what you or I would do. She asked what would be a good beer to serve someone who mentioned "Yuengling" and "dark" when she inquired about their drink preferences. She got mostly good, helpful suggestions that can be satisfied in one quick trip to a local liquor store. It's not that confusing, really.

Kahn, you are a good host.

-ERD50

I'll put in a recommendation for Samuel Adams Black Lager. Nice caramel flavor for a lager.

*At the time of this post, Hankster owned no shares of (SAM) :D

What a broad array of choices! I would throw up my hands in confusion and provide iced tea instead. I am sure Khan will do better than I would, though.
But the OP didn't ask what you or I would do.

No kidding!! LOL Maybe you forgot my original post that you were dissecting so I provided it above.

Kahn, you are a good host.

-ERD50
I agree.....:greetings10:

Khan...your friends are so very fortunate to know such a thoughtful, accomodating lady like yourself. It would be marvelous if there were more poeple out there like you!

My sister and brother-in-law visited for two weeks last month. They told me prior to their arrival (upon my inquiry) that they drank orange juice, diet caffeine free Pepsi, one percent milk and Sprite exclusively. When they got here, they guzzled all my Tanqueray gin, my Pimm's (mixed with the Sprite) and made great inroads into my wine (which I was told they never touched). I finally gave the unopened case of Pepsi to a friend yesterday as I am not a drinker of caffeine free soda.
I have some friends coming from Houston next month. He likes beer (I think I will get something from the Pennsylvania Brewing Co) and she and I will drink wine...probably will stock up on a selection of CA vintners.

My sister and brother-in-law visited for two weeks last month. They told me prior to their arrival (upon my inquiry) that they drank orange juice, diet caffeine free Pepsi, one percent milk and Sprite exclusively. When they got here, they guzzled all my Tanqueray gin, my Pimm's (mixed with the Sprite) and made great inroads into my wine (which I was told they never touched).

:dance::2funny:

Mormons away from home??

Wait a minute. "Yuengling" is not 'a beer', it is the name of the brewery. They have seven beers on their site, only two of which are 'dark'.

I'd suggest you find out which "Yuengling" he likes, and then it should be easy to find something comparable. If he's looking for their lager, a dark might not fit the bill.
My wife grew up in Reading so she's quite familiar with "Vitamin Y" out there. If you don't say anything more a Yuengling is usually assumed to be their lager (as that is their flagship brew), but in my experience the locals there will simply ask for "a lager" and many will know what they are talking about even though there are many other brands of lagers sold there. You ask for "a lager" out there and you're getting a Yuengling.

I usually manage to find an opportunity to have a couple of "lagers" when we're out visiting that way.

Friend suggested a Sam Adams dark; they do sell that here.

Khan,
As you see the group loves to talk beer and all the possibilities.
Take the easy way out, that you have suggested. If you want to take it one step further, pick up a Sam Adams Boston Lager and one of their darks. You'll be out around $16.00 and your friend will be a happy camper. Beer drinkers worth their salt will never question a nice gift person with brew.
Enjoy your time with friends,
Steve

:dance::2funny:

Mormons away from home??

What's the old joke -

Q: Why do you always take TWO Mormons* on a fishing trip with you?

A: If you take one, he drinks all the beer.

:LOL:

* - Insert favorite tea-totaling group here

-ERD50

What's the old joke -

Q: Why do you always take TWO Mormons* on a fishing trip with you?

A: If you take one, he drinks all the beer.

:LOL:

* - Insert favorite tea-totaling group here

-ERD50

Have you ever noticed they don't recognise each other in the liquor store either?
Steve

I don't drink beer on a regular basis (though I'm not opposed to such).

A friend is going to visit and I asked him what beer he would prefer and he replied "Yuengling". That is not sold in Ohio.

I want recommendations for a good dark beer that is sold in Ohio.

Its made in Pennsylvania... not far from Ohio depending on where you live. I think I can get it at Kroger in Cincinnati.

Sam Adams Boston Lager is a good default beer with a full body... after that, depends on the taste of the drinker.

Mmmmm, beer! It is all good to me!
Khan, your friend will love the local brews and feel free to mix up the light and the dark, as what I like on a hot summer day is different than what I might want with dinner.

I'll agree with above posters that Sam Adams anything is a good beer in any flavor. Their lite beer is tasty, so are their darks.

I know people that get very excited about their seasonal variety packs. I like the variety packs myself, but I've stopped getting whole cases of their seasonal variety packs, my enthusiasm for a regular beer returns halfway through the case.

Carnage, I feel that way about the Magic Hat seasonals. There is always something in there I don't like as much, so it sits on the shelf until someone gets desperate, kinda like that bottle of cider in there now.

Back
Top Bottom