bicycle tune-up

My wife & I decided we want to do some mountain biking. Our budget wasn't big so we got a couple of Fuji Nevada 1.7 bikes - a step up from entry level but still low end. Even though it's in the 20's this morning we're going to head out and hit some trails.

8472183050_0e430027f5_c.jpg

I ride (and tune myself) a 1980s vintage Fuji, bought at a garage sale twenty years ago for $40.

Attachments

• Biker.jpg
    Biker.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 5
It probably includes replace the grease in the wheel hubs, the bottom bracket, and the steering tube. (all have loose ball bearings), and then adjusting the cones so the bearings work just right. In addition one would look at the brake shoes and check the cables and shifters out.

Thanks. Working with all those loose bearings is labor intensive.

Here is my new Trek Madone that I got it last March. Get the trek, you will love it.

Also in the picture is my old Trek 400 that I bought new in 1986. Lots of miles on that bike, but it just wore out...and I couldn't turn the cranks...chainrings were too small :cool:. Cost to replace everything that was needed was too much, decided it was just time. Certainly not a LBYM item, but given the number of miles on the old one, if I get 30 years out of this one, ends up being about $100/year.

This was my one "Big Ticket Item" last year.

Attachments

• Bike - Copy.jpg
    Bike - Copy.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 5
How do you like the folding bike? How much do you ride?

Anyone else use folding bikes?

We were thinking of getting a pair so we can take them with us on our road trips. We were thinking it would be easier to take into hotels at night.
There are a lot of different folding bikes on the market. Each has a different purpose. Prices vary enormously. I've got a Bike Friday New World Tourist, which is a high-quality folder intended for going on trips. It is not a quick-folder good for taking on public transport. It does, however, pack into a sub-62" dimension hard plastic suitcase which avoids the ridiculously excessive bicycle fees most airlines now charge. Most importantly, it rides as well as a regular touring bike. I've toured on mine extensively in many countries around the world, as well as commuted on it for years. It's not cheap, but it's a great bike.

Having a good bike you will ride a lot will help you LBYM. Not nearly as many doctor visits, better BP, longer life, less gasoline. Etc.

Some people swear by Brompton folding bikes, but they're really expensive!

Thanks to all who gave me feedback on folding bikes.

Something else to consider would be a lightweight steel frame. The ride is always great and the lower price is usually something that you will enjoy even more. I've ridden for many years and on aluminum, steel and carbon fiber. Really like the steel and carbon fiber frames. Still have a 1999 Trek 5200 US Postal model (all carbon fiber). Unfortunately cant ride it now due to neck and spine issues, hopefully will be able to again one day. Trying to still ride a hybrid now as being in the drops right now just doesn't work for me. Doesn't really matter what you are on as long as you are out riding! Have multiple bikes now and lways will.
Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom