Big daddy State Farm is watching

you might be surprised that there are houses with full length windows in the front of a house in a bathroom for full view from the street... no many, but who would do it for ANY house:confused:
Exhibitionists.

you might be surprised that there are houses with full length windows in the front of a house in a bathroom for full view from the street... no many, but who would do it for ANY house:confused:

People that don't have anything to hide? :LOL:

I can see the day in the not too distant future when all personal vehicles will be equipped with devices that monitor driving behavior as a condition of insurance coverage.

I can see the day in the not too distant future when all personal vehicles will be equipped with devices that monitor driving behavior as a condition of insurance coverage.

Automobile kill switches are being made mandatory.

I'm sure the use of them will never be abused... ;)

Always being on camera and/or monitored promotes good behavior. If people would drive appropriately and not commit crimes without those things then we wouldn't need them but they do so we do need them.

Do you ever speed? 31 in a 30 is a violation.

Do you come to a total/complete stop at every stop sign? If not, that's a moving violation as well.

When you turn right on red, do you make a complete stop (if not, here that is 4 points violation.)

Have you ever found yourself stuck in an intersection when the light turns red? That can happen innocently if traffic flow is suddenly interrupted. I recently had a guy switch lanes in mid intersection. That's illegal, but he made it through the light but I did not before it turned red because I had to almost stop to avoid an accident. A LEO would have ticketed HIM for changing lanes in an intersection. A red light camera would have ticketed me. I have reviewed the "excuses" you can use if you are caught by a red light camera. The "language" is essentially "if you can prove" you are not guilty, you can use 1 of 5 "excuses." None of them mentions "avoiding an accident."

When you leave a drive way (such as your drive way or leaving a business, etc.) Do you make a complete stop BEFORE you cross the sidewalk which you must cross before entering traffic? Most jurisdictions have that as a requirement and most people don't know it and way fewer obey it.

What I'm trying to suggest is that there is a difference between driving safely and obeying all the traffic laws. Obeying traffic laws might make you a safer driver, but it might also cause traffic issues which would not be safe. For instance, we have a major highway we must use virtually every time we leave our apartment. If we go the speed limit, folks blast around us and perform dangerous lane changes to get ahead.

If there is no "human" (LEO in this case) to evaluate the actual safety of your driving, then most of us wouldn't get to Costco or Home Depot or the bank without racking up several traffic violations. When that is monitored by cameras or in-car computers or GPS instead of a LEO, most of us would lose our DLs in a day.

I understand your point, but electronic surveillance - which has its uses - should not be why we "obey" laws. We should drive "safely" because it's good for us and good for others. We all have our own opinions about the level of privacy and autonomy that we are willing to give up for "safety", so YMMV.

By the way, not a "rant" but end of whatever it was.:facepalm::blush::angel:

Do you ever speed? 31 in a 30 is a violation.

Do you come to a total/complete stop at every stop sign? If not, that's a moving violation as well.

When you turn right on red, do you make a complete stop (if not, here that is 4 points violation.)

Have you ever found yourself stuck in an intersection when the light turns red? That can happen innocently if traffic flow is suddenly interrupted. I recently had a guy switch lanes in mid intersection. That's illegal, but he made it through the light but I did not before it turned red because I had to almost stop to avoid an accident. A LEO would have ticketed HIM for changing lanes in an intersection. A red light camera would have ticketed me. I have reviewed the "excuses" you can use if you are caught by a red light camera. The "language" is essentially "if you can prove" you are not guilty, you can use 1 of 5 "excuses." None of them mentions "avoiding an accident."

When you leave a drive way (such as your drive way or leaving a business, etc.) Do you make a complete stop BEFORE you cross the sidewalk which you must cross before entering traffic? Most jurisdictions have that as a requirement and most people don't know it and way fewer obey it.

What I'm trying to suggest is that there is a difference between driving safely and obeying all the traffic laws. Obeying traffic laws might make you a safer driver, but it might also cause traffic issues which would not be safe. For instance, we have a major highway we must use virtually every time we leave our apartment. If we go the speed limit, folks blast around us and perform dangerous lane changes to get ahead.

If there is no "human" (LEO in this case) to evaluate the actual safety of your driving, then most of us wouldn't get to Costco or Home Depot or the bank without racking up several traffic violations. When that is monitored by cameras or in-car computers or GPS instead of a LEO, most of us would lose our DLs in a day.

I understand your point, but electronic surveillance - which has its uses - should not be why we "obey" laws. We should drive "safely" because it's good for us and good for others. We all have our own opinions about the level of privacy and autonomy that we are willing to give up for "safety", so YMMV.

By the way, not a "rant" but end of whatever it was.:facepalm::blush::angel:

^^^^Excellent post. :)

I also wonder if people's cars in Communist countries are under constant surveillance by the "insurance" companies there? I know the people are, but are the cars?

OP here. All is well that ends well. I just received a check for nearly $300 to reflect “rating change”. Must say that was pretty fast. 9 days from complaint to receipt of check!

Put your phone in a Faraday cage when you get in your car. :eek:) Tell them they can track you all they want. A separate phone line would probably be cheaper than a 30% increase in a bill. The game continues....

After more than 20 years, I recently left State Farm after realizing I could save half on the motorcycle and the same on the car, by switching to Progressive. 10 or 20%? I might have stuck with them but 50%? forget it. That was $900/yr. So then of course I lost my multi-line discount, but it wasn't so much that it wiped out the savings. I may look for alternatives there also (home insurance).

And I would never agree to be monitored. I live mostly in the western US where we have lots of open two lane roads. And some nice curvy ones too :) Sometimes we pass.. and the speed limit might be exceeded, heaven forbid.. driving pleasure is one reason we enjoy German machinery. So no way to monitoring..

After more than 20 years, I recently left State Farm after realizing I could save half on the motorcycle and the same on the car, by switching to Progressive. 10 or 20%? I might have stuck with them but 50%? forget it. That was $900/yr. So then of course I lost my multi-line discount, but it wasn't so much that it wiped out the savings. I may look for alternatives there also (home insurance).

And I would never agree to be monitored. I live mostly in the western US where we have lots of open two lane roads. And some nice curvy ones too :) Sometimes we pass.. and the speed limit might be exceeded, heaven forbid.. driving pleasure is one reason we enjoy German machinery. So no way to monitoring..

Good for you.

I really do not know what all the fuss is about.

If you think that your insurer is hosing you on rates or you are not happy with their business practices the answer is simple.

Go out and get a competitive quote from an insurer that has business practices that appeal to you.

Should be done and dusted in an hour. That is about all it took me last time when I switched. $700 after tax saving for an hour of 'work' Great ROI

Even less if you are using a broker.

Last edited:
6 month State Farm update, documented savings

Fascinating, for a few bucks folks invite others to monitor their whereabouts and how they get around.

So, I got my next 6 month State Farm auto insurance renewal paperwork in the mail today.

Comparing the latest 6 month bill to the one from one year ago, our bill actually went DOWN $181. :dance:

Our total annual auto insurance cost for 4 cars is now $1,096.

Without the monitors, it would be $1,458. So, for us it is a substantial savings.

My only regret is not doing this sooner!!

What’s really annoying is that they gather pretty indirect data and come up with way wrong conclusions. Why not simply ask for an odometer reading at renewal time? A photo could be required as verification. It could be voluntary and they use their other metrics if the insured fails to provide the odometer reading.

This is what Allstate does. If you don’t respond, they extrapolate based on averages.

Why not just ditch the company? I would.
Shooter,
When I was a kid (19), I was looking for my first car insurance without my parents.
Somehow ended up with State Farm.

A month into the policy I was sent a cancellation notice. It said, that I lied to them. I hadn't, so I called the sales person to talk about it, and he wouldn't call me back after multiple efforts.

I stubbornly did the most logical thing I could think of. I swore to never do business again with State Farm.

I suspect they are all somewhat bad to deal with, but I found an insurance broker who I really like, and I've been with him my whole adult life.

Take care.

I've been using State Farm's Drive Safe & Save app, with a dongle in each of my two cars, for several years now. The story I was told, when I first signed up, is that I would save 5% no matter what the driving data showed. I have a Google Pixel and over a year ago Google added more "protection" to the location feature in my phone. You can choose to give an app access to your location only when the app is in use versus all of the time. However, SF's app wants to know my location at all times, so I have not completed the installation of their app since Google released that change. I get email warnings, but also notices from them twice a year to report my mileage, which I do by calling my agent. I have no intention of turning on location for their app fully so I will just drop the feature if push comes to shove. My insurance rates have gone up this year, but that is due to the increased costs of vehicle repairs, I think.

Shooter,
When I was a kid (19), I was looking for my first car insurance without my parents.
Somehow ended up with State Farm.

A month into the policy I was sent a cancellation notice. It said, that I lied to them. I hadn't, so I called the sales person to talk about it, and he wouldn't call me back after multiple efforts.

I stubbornly did the most logical thing I could think of. I swore to never do business again with State Farm.

I suspect they are all somewhat bad to deal with, but I found an insurance broker who I really like, and I've been with him my whole adult life.

Take care.

Well, at least you gave 'em a chance.

... I hadn't, so I called the sales person to talk about it, and he wouldn't call me back after multiple efforts. ...
This is the problem with tied agents. They are happy to cash your checks but their relationship is with the company they represent. This relationship is far, far more important to them than any customer is.

... I found an insurance broker who I really like, and I've been with him my whole adult life. ...
Me too, In fact my agent just competed our package and saved us around $3K total compared to the company that was best last time we ran the competition exercise. IMO anyone who is not competing their package is almost certainly paying too much. And tied agent will not do this for a customer.

I've had State Farm for years and have always been able to reach someone in "authority" at their local offices. I've never ended up with an unresolved issue. They're not cheap, however. YMMV

This is the problem with tied agents. They are happy to cash your checks but their relationship is with the company they represent. This relationship is far, far more important to them than any customer is.

Me too, In fact my agent just competed our package and saved us around $3K total compared to the company that was best last time we ran the competition exercise. IMO anyone who is not competing their package is almost certainly paying too much. And tied agent will not do this for a customer.
Shooter, my guy jumped through a bunch of hoops for me , to get insurance on my beat up 100 year old cabin. Nobody wanted to insure it.
Unfortunately he died recently in his early 60s. A very sad deal, he didn't get to even retire.

Back
Top Bottom