Big daddy State Farm is watching

Are you sure about this? Most vehicles with remote start capability can do so through the key fob. Lock the doors and press a "start" button two times. You need to be within about 100-150 feet of the vehicle to do this. No other software or device (like a phone) is necessary.

You can also remote start your car from a much greater distance using your phone. I suspect this is one of the features of the FordPass software.

Here in Minnesota in the winter I remote start my truck (Ram 1500) whenever I'm leaving the house. I use the key fob. I declined signing up for the software connections and the additional features it provides.

Yes, the FordPass remote start feature is via smartphone.

Yes, the FordPass remote start feature is via smartphone.

Sure, but isn't there a localized version where your vehicle receives a signal from your key fob and you can start the car? No need for a smartphone or software.

In my opinion the ONLY reason to have a cell phone is to have a phone for when you leave the house. Not bringing it with you when you leave makes no sense. That doesn't mean you should use it while you are driving of course.

Turn it off til you need it. Or better yet leave your phone home and get athe cheapest tracphone available to keep in your car for the very rare emergency calls when you need it.

We all lived for a long time without a computer in our car that can also make phone calls.

Turn it off til you need it. Or better yet leave your phone home and get athe cheapest tracphone available to keep in your car for the very rare emergency calls when you need it.

We all lived for a long time without a computer in our car that can also make phone calls.

Just because you don't need a cell phone that doesn't mean that other people don't have valid reasons. For example, we both are first contact for our parent's Lifeline.

I don't know why some people who live without cell phones like to assume that they're not required by others.

Just because you don't need a cell phone that doesn't mean that other people don't have valid reasons. For example, we both are first contact for our parent's Lifeline.

I don't know why some people who live without cell phones like to assume that they're not required by others.

So am I for my 91 year old mom. I just don't talk on my phone when I am driving.

More likely you are drunk or will be hit by someone who is. I assume that is their thinking.

That makes sense, although it sounds kind of discriminatory if someone happens to be a night owl :)

I'm one of those myself, & 2 or 3 nights a week, I'll stop at my local grocery store about 10:30 PM, then take a drive around town. I feel much safer driving at 11 PM, versus 11 AM.

Sure, but isn't there a localized version where your vehicle receives a signal from your key fob and you can start the car? No need for a smartphone or software.

I don't think so, the truck is pretty basic, per my specifications.

At any rate, my point was that Ford has installed technology in the vehicle that can keep close tabs on you, just like those insurance dongles. People were wondering how data is mined on driving habits ...

That makes sense, although it sounds kind of discriminatory if someone happens to be a night owl :)

I'm one of those myself, & 2 or 3 nights a week, I'll stop at my local grocery store about 10:30 PM, then take a drive around town. I feel much safer driving at 11 PM, versus 11 AM.

Not all insurance uses 11PM..

More likely you are drunk or will be hit by someone who is. I assume that is their thinking.

I'm sure there's history that tells them the most dangerous hours to be on the road. I personally think 11 is too early, but I don't work for the man.

We all lived for a long time without color TV's, dishwashers, garbage disposals, microwave ovens, garage door openers, push button phones, cordless phones, etc.

Cars without air conditioning, cruise control, power seats, power locks, and windows, without four wheel or all wheel drive, backup cameras, etc.

What's your point?

Last edited:
So am I for my 91 year old mom. I just don't talk on my phone when I am driving.

I don't talk on my phone when driving either.

But the solution to privacy invasion shouldn't be willingly giving something up. The solution should be to stop the privacy invasion.

We all lived for a long time without color TV's, dishwashers, garbage disposals, microwave ovens, garage door openers, push button phones, cordless phones, etc.

Cars without air conditioning, cruise control, power seats, power locks, and windows, without four wheel or all wheel drive, backup cameras, etc.

What's your point?

All true, but it's only recently that some of those items started keeping - even transmitting - data on us. If you don't see that as an issue, review my tag line.

I don't talk on my phone when driving either.

But the solution to privacy invasion shouldn't be willingly giving something up. The solution should be to stop the privacy invasion.

Hear Hear!

I just got my auto insurance bill which had a decent increase. I discovered that they believe I’m driving 19300 miles a year. Actually it’s about 5000 or 6000. So I called and asked them how they figured the 19,300? They said that they didn’t know in my particular case but told me it was from things like oil changes and smog checks etc. so apparently they have access to this data. I was amazed. My guess is that since the last two oil changes were pretty close together as I drove across country, they extrapolated that into me driving a couple thousand miles a month. The local agent is going to submit my version to see what happens.

It’s easy for me to prove my case since the car has only 13k on it in the two years since I bought it so I’ll see what they do. But I was pretty astonished by the info they thought they had.

I left State Farm auto insurance last week. I had been with them for almost 20 years. The last rate increase was the final straw, on top of a terrible claims experience last year, and a clerical error with them reporting my no-fault accident to the Driver Vehicle Services dept as an At-fault.

So now I am fighting to fix that.

Fascinating, for a few bucks folks invite others to monitor their whereabouts and how they get around.

Fascinating, for a few bucks folks invite others to monitor their whereabouts and how they get around.

I couldn't care the slightest bit less who know where I go or when. Unless you are doing something you shouldn't be then why care? According to the app I saved $119 this 6 month period. For someone who tries to spend less than $15K/yr that is a decent savings and very easily worth the minimal hassle. YMMV

Sometimes complaining, moaning, and groaning is pointless.

You need to vote with your wallet and your feet.

If you expect loyalty then get a dog.

You will never get it from an insurance company. Do not expect it. There is absolutely NO need to reciprocate false vendor loyalty.

I would only spend as much time on this as it would take me to get two or three like for like quotes.

Then choose one and move forward. This is not complicated.

I couldn't care the slightest bit less who know where I go or when. Unless you are doing something you shouldn't be then why care? According to the app I saved $119 this 6 month period. For someone who tries to spend less than $15K/yr that is a decent savings and very easily worth the minimal hassle. YMMV

I suppose we all have to decide for ourselves how much our privacy matters to us and how cheaply we will sell it. Honestly, it's not a matter of whether you are doing something "wrong." Again, it's a personal thing but I choose privacy over a few dollars savings but YMMV.

I couldn't care the slightest bit less who know where I go or when. Unless you are doing something you shouldn't be then why care?

The point isn't whether or not you're doing something wrong. Those who don't care who tracks them will always vote for someone who promises them "safety" as long I have to give up some of my rights. That's dangerous thinking.

You want a crazy stalker following you? A child custody case saying you went to the bar too often? Not likely but I do not get this IDC. I may not care if anyone knows where I went but I care if it is in some database that can be hacked or sold or used in some way I have not thought of.

+1

I'm already leaving a financial spending trail using credit cards for everything, but I'm hooked on the convenience and cashback rewards.

Plus, I wander around all day with a cellphone connected to cell towers and satellites, so if someone wanted to track me bad enough, they already have the technology. Plus, I use Waze for driving directions, so that always knows exactly where I am. And a have a transponder for turnpike tolls.

I take solace that I'm just a little guppy in a big sea. Just not an interesting target.

We save anywhere from $750 - $1,000 (currently $960) per year letting SF track our driving. Worth it to me. I probably wouldn't do it for a mere 5%, but we're getting close to 30% savings. Of course I drive like a grandpa. DW is such a cautious driver that it's annoying.

I suppose we all have to decide for ourselves how much our privacy matters to us and how cheaply we will sell it. Honestly, it's not a matter of whether you are doing something "wrong." Again, it's a personal thing but I choose privacy over a few dollars savings but YMMV.

No disagreement. And we all may have different reasons for protecting our privacy or not. Most of the commercial data sales are about selling us more crap. I am consciously pretty good about not responding to advertising for the most part so I am not overly concerned about companies trying to sell crap to me. Don't get me wrong, I buy a lot of crap. It's just almost never in response to something I see advertised.

Back
Top Bottom