Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in NE FLA. Purchased and installed a new sub Electric Panel in our home. Moved all essential Services to the Sub Panel. Purchased a Generator and Cable. All done ~$750..... So for the next Hurricane Power Outage, we are prepared. No More bad food in freezer... :)

For our northern house we have a "whole house" generator that powers about half of our electric capability. What I've discovered is that the circuit boards seem to have an amazing ability to fail just before big storms. Luckily I can still turn it on manually, but it's not fun to be standing in large puddles in pouring rain playing with electrical components. This has happened twice in the past 10 years. Luckily the power outages have never lasted long enough to cause food spoilage. Technology is great, but not always dependable.

Living in NE FLA. Purchased and installed a new sub Electric Panel in our home. Moved all essential Services to the Sub Panel. Purchased a Generator and Cable. All done ~$750..... So for the next Hurricane Power Outage, we are prepared. No More bad food in freezer... :)

One thought if you want to go fancier you could get an inverter charger and attach it to the sub panel. Then think like your house is a boat and going to be off shore power for a while, and decide how long to go between running the generator. The length of gen off time would determine the size of the battery bank. Setting it up this way you have essentially added a ups to the critical loads. (the inverter charger switches to battery in 10 ms or so).

Just spent $60 for dinner. Not particularly spendy, but still equal to about two weeks’ worth of groceries...

Old age crazy

Well, I did it! I called in my reservation to fly a P-51 fighter on May 4th!
Toulouse.jpg

If we need it we buy it but if a bigger ticket item we will shop. I blow money on gas for my pickup and will spend 40 bucks a week most of the time. So I do blow money on gas because I can. We don't travel and go a lot of places so that is my habit.

Don't forget that there is no need to spend the RMDs, you just have to pay tax on them. The remainder can just be shifted to an after-tax account and put back to work.

Yes, most likely will be doing that. Leaving our kids some $$s is part of our plan and/or gifting while we are alive.

Just spent $60 for dinner. Not particularly spendy, but still equal to about two weeks’ worth of groceries...

We did that too, but for two of us at a Logan's Steakhouse. Since I have a hospital procedure tomorrow (nothing to eat or drink after midnight) that will be my Last Meal until probably tomorrow early afternoon. So I made it a point to stuff myself.:D

Dropped $190 for a bottle of Dom Perignon 2009 to celebrate the DGF's milestone birthday (>59).

At $190, most expensive bottle of adult beverage I've bought. Good stuff, and for this situation, a decent value.

Decided we'd go all in going mid century modern. New couch, two recliners, 1960's Danish veneer dining table and then eight leather dining chairs. Now matches tv hutch and bar.

Dropped $190 for a bottle of Dom Perignon 2009 to celebrate the DGF's milestone birthday (>59).

At $190, most expensive bottle of adult beverage I've bought. Good stuff, and for this situation, a decent value.

Excellent. I'm sure you mean >39. ;)

Snake River Farms wagyu gold grade RibEye fillet.

27462052808_8c1dff25f2_o.jpg

Medium rare over natural lump. Perfect. I enjoyed this tonight with 3 ears of corn, but no reason to pic the corn eh?

Snake River Farms wagyu gold grade RibEye fillet.

27462052808_8c1dff25f2_o.jpg

Medium rare over natural lump. Perfect. I enjoyed this tonight with 3 ears of corn, but no reason to pic the corn eh?

$100 steaks on a $20 set of Corelle. You know what's important in life!

Congrats! Although if I ever buy a bottle it will be at Costco.

Last edited:
Loved our Arizona winter escape so much we are repeating it, only 6 weeks after getting back home! Still winter in the Midwest. So going back to sunshine. Maybe it will finally be spring in the Midwest when we return...

Loved our Arizona winter escape so much we are repeating it, only 6 weeks after getting back home! Still winter in the Midwest. So going back to sunshine. Maybe it will finally be spring in the Midwest when we return...

Getting your own 2nd home in the SW will help you blow some dough.

Ok you guys are a really bad influence ! (j/k ... well, maybe j/k !). I bought myself a diamond ring. I paid for 1/2 of it with cash (10s and 20s) that I had stashed away over the years. I felt like it was "found money" when I finally decided it was ok to spend it. The other half I paid for from credit card reward points. So the question is, if a diamond ring is purchased without touching the checking account is it really "purchased" ?

Ok you guys are a really bad influence ! (j/k ... well, maybe j/k !). I bought myself a diamond ring. I paid for 1/2 of it with cash (10s and 20s) that I had stashed away over the years. I felt like it was "found money" when I finally decided it was ok to spend it. The other half I paid for from credit card reward points. So the question is, if a diamond ring is purchased without touching the checking account is it really "purchased" ?

DW got a diamond ring 35 years ago and she never touched her check book!

Got the wireless gizmo for charging my iPhone, ordered some antique copper for photo matting, and a TB12 vibrating foam roller. Just blowing a little dough.

DW got a diamond ring 35 years ago and she never touched her check book!

DGF truly fine without a diamond ring at this stage in our lives. Part of our priorities, since not married.:blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom