Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the next couple of months will change out all the Kitchen light fixtures for led based fixtures, as well as a couple of others. It appears that Leds do not like to be in enclosed fixtures, as heat makes them fail faster. (kitchen fixtures are currently fluorescent, but are getting on 35 years old and ballasts are begining to fail) Since it is a 9 foot ceiling and I don't like heights will hire it done.

Has anyone bought or splurged on a Supercar? Lambo, Ferrari, Mclaren, or a cheaper Audi R8.

Has anyone bought or splurged on a Supercar? Lambo, Ferrari, Mclaren, or a cheaper Audi R8.

No. The greatest luxury automobile is a reliable, safe automobile that is trouble free for many years. Even seeing the door of the dealer service area raises my blood pressure.

In the process. DW loves her 16 y.o. diesel VW Beetle (so do I), and we're keeping it as our FL car. But they are stopping making Beetles after this year, so we're buying a new one., sort of stocking up. We're still in FL and the car is in DE, so we'll pick it up when we get back up to MD in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• 2018-VW-Beetle-Coast-Feature_o.jpg
    2018-VW-Beetle-Coast-Feature_o.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 65
Over the next couple of months will change out all the Kitchen light fixtures for led based fixtures, as well as a couple of others. It appears that Leds do not like to be in enclosed fixtures, as heat makes them fail faster. (kitchen fixtures are currently fluorescent, but are getting on 35 years old and ballasts are begining to fail) Since it is a 9 foot ceiling and I don't like heights will hire it done.

I just replaced all our downstairs potlights (12) with LED GU10 bulbs. The incandescents they replaced always burned really hot and I hated that for a lot of reasons but mostly safety. The store was running a special and it worked out to $0.825 per bulb and they are NOMA bulbs so pretty decent quality.

We don't use those lights a ton but at $0.825 per bulb, they can burn out all they want.... ;)

No. The greatest luxury automobile is a reliable, safe automobile that is trouble free for many years. Even seeing the door of the dealer service area raises my blood pressure.

you missed the point on Supercars. Hahah. Supercars are not meant be be reliable, or trouble free. It is exactly the opposite. Supercars are uncomfortable 2 seater cars that are highly impractical, because they dont have much of a trunk space or cant ride 3 people. They are not meant to be daily comfort driving cars. You buy them because you want to drive a 400-800 horsepower car that sits very low and you feel the road bumps ... but you show it off to everyone. They are mostly Italian cars, so dont rely on them for reliability. They are the most impractical cars.haha

Hmm. Like if you drive an old car you're poor. If you drive a new car you're well off. If you drive a really old car you're rich.

I like the idea of a supercar, a fast nimble car, I can run through the hill country, here in Texas. However, I've become to practical for one. Yet, I still have that itch. Thus, I'm leaning towards buying a Polaris Slingshot. As they look like a blast to drive.

I know a guy who owns a couple dozen supercars. You wouldn't believe his "garage." More power to him -- I'd probably own one if I were in that league.

Always wanted a Lambo, but times change and it would not fit into the retirement budget.
Still have the paid off Z4 to have fun with.

you missed the point on Supercars. Hahah. Supercars are not meant be be reliable, or trouble free. It is exactly the opposite. Supercars are uncomfortable 2 seater cars that are highly impractical, because they dont have much of a trunk space or cant ride 3 people. They are not meant to be daily comfort driving cars. You buy them because you want to drive a 400-800 horsepower car that sits very low and you feel the road bumps ... but you show it off to everyone. They are mostly Italian cars, so dont rely on them for reliability. They are the most impractical cars.haha

No, I didn't miss the point. I don't want an unreliable pile of metal messing up my plans. We did that back in the 60's and 70's with GM products. My blood pressure and peace of mind are of far greater importance.

Now if you want to offer me a ride in your supercar, I might take you up on it. Same with your 70 foot sailboat.

Just returned from a few days in Vegas with wife and two school age kids (15 and 13). Last nite we spent $800 on tickets to see Cirque du Soleil’s O after a $225 dinner. Also saw Criss Angel for $400 and Piff the Magic Dragon for $200. All very good shows.

Don’t have the super car, but did recently buy a new $60k’ish Lexus RX 350. Soon will be paying $8k for son’s 7-week debate camp at University of Michigan this summer. Come to think of it, maybe we should rein in blowing that dough...

DW just bought a Nissan Z for under $30k (plus taxes, licenses, etc, etc). Not quite a super car, but only two, uncomfortable seats and well over 300bhp. Same engine as the skyline, which is a legit super car.

If she has a passenger, she can’t even pick up a pack of paper towels at the store, it’s so tight inside.

Also has rwd and summer tires, but her work place calls it a snow day at the drop of a flake, so that shouldn’t be too bad.

WOW! every bullet you posted is wrong, says my wife! Even with 565 horsepower, i should not call it a supercar as it did cost half of what a foreign car with similar specs call for (and it's been known to spank a few of them). going on my 3rd year and over 16k miles without a mechanic. I've made many gas only 500 miles trips. the car is absolutely comfortable! as for the trunk space, it held all of our clothes and what we needed to camp for a week at Seneca Rocks West Va.
edit: we don't actually show off for anyone, but the vette draws attention everywhere. I was like you and new nothing about high dollar cars. The more i learn about them, the more i realize i don't know.

Attachments

• 1586681.jpg
    1586681.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
$876 spend at Costco....:facepalm: $280 odd just on Filet Mignon! All food with the exception of 1 Food Saver Machine ($149 - $30 Coupon)

I just replaced all our downstairs potlights (12) with LED GU10 bulbs. The incandescents they replaced always burned really hot and I hated that for a lot of reasons but mostly safety. The store was running a special and it worked out to $0.825 per bulb and they are NOMA bulbs so pretty decent quality.

We don't use those lights a ton but at $0.825 per bulb, they can burn out all they want.... ;)

I think you are getting out-of-control. Maybe ought to rein the spending in a bit!:LOL:

DW bought a Brahmin purse on sale for 30% off, with another 20% off by opening a credit card account. It has 2 side pocket zippers/pockets for concealed carry, there isn't anybody who would mess with her anyway.

Went along with a hard core fishing buddy to a local tackle shop to kill some time. I don't fish, but found my way to a display case of some sweet Benchmade knives, including a few automatics I was looking to add to my collection. Auto-opening knives ("switchblades") are legal in FL.

$780 later, walked out with 3 auto-openers, including a sweet spine-fired, out-the-front - my favorite for daily carry.

Need to stop killing time ;)

Went along with a hard core fishing buddy to a local tackle shop to kill some time. I don't fish, but found my way to a display case of some sweet Benchmade knives, including a few automatics I was looking to add to my collection. Auto-opening knives ("switchblades") are legal in FL.

$780 later, walked out with 3 auto-openers, including a sweet spine-fired, out-the-front - my favorite for daily carry.

Need to stop killing time ;)

Excellent way to blow some dough!

I saw where Shaq blew some dough years ago - $70,000 at Walmart and his credit card was denied. https://www.maxim.com/sports/shaq-walmart-credit-card-declined-2018-4

I just got back from India and Nepal and, according to my calculations, spent about $1,400 on jewelry- 3 pairs of 22k gold earrings, a large lemon topaz set in gold and a sterling silver bracelet. The gold earrings, my largest purchase, were from a shop in Delhi where one of my local friends buys her jewelry and I've shopped there before on business trips so I knew I could trust them.

OTOH, my clothing expenditures YTD are only about $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom