Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm making the final payment on our trip to Antarctica. I'm not even going to post the amount, suffice it to say a lot.

I made a quick trip to Paris from Scotland in 2019 and had visited the museum in Dundee built around the ship Discovery, which explored Antarctica in 1901. Having read of the challenges of that trip, including a 180-day sledge expedition in which they never washed their clothes (well, how would they?), I was amused to find an ad in Paris-Match for a Ponant Cruise line trip to Antarctica. It pictured a sleek, elegant couple enjoying a gourmet meal with icebergs kooming outside the window. She was wearing a sleeveless dress.

13,000 Euros. Per person, double-occupancy. Excluding airfare to and from Argentina. :eek:

OTOH, we did the Antarctica trip in 2019, just before the pandemic, and I have to say that without a doubt it was worth the jaw-dropping chunk of change. We actually got a pretty good discount since we were previous customers of the company, but still way up there in BTD territory.

You will not regret it.

Curious how many miles you drive per year. Free charging at a relatively slow rate would limit that unless you have home charging or paid charging.

We too have "free" (2 stalls) at our Costco parking lot - not Volta. The signs say you are supposed to only charge for one hour but I have no idea if the system shuts off. IIRC the chargers are equivalent to a home charger that runs on 240 volts so (IIRC) that's maybe 20 miles/hour??

Around 10,000. I have home charging, haven't used it in 20 months. I don't go to the pay chargers either.

You plug in as you do your daily business. Markets, restaurants, and the rest.

I get about 43 miles if I were to charge for an hour. I generally don't take that long. Maybe 20 or 30 minutes usually. I skipped charging today because I didn't need it.

And the Volta's all around me (500 or so in total) have 2 hour limits, then they shut off. Maybe once a month my errands take that long, so I'll stay the full 2 hours.

Yes, you're right. I'm doing a Roth conversion this year but most years I ended up in the 22% marginal bracket so didn't bother. My SS plus $1,800/month in pensions plus mutual fund distributions plus any realized gains from selling securities makes it impossible to "manage" my taxable income very much...

Tax brackets for a single person are so much lower, I will be surprised that you will not get in the 24% already. And 32% bracket is not out of reach.

I would max out Roth conversion to the top of 24% bracket if I were single.

Tax brackets for a couple are high enough, I don't think I will get into the 32% bracket with the market no longer in a bull run. But I am most likely to croak before my wife, and she is very likely in that bracket unless I mess up our investment and lose a bunch.

Last edited:
Purchased the Glock 34 MOS I was lusting after and a MOS Sight for it. :) Very hard to find them in stock around these parts.

Heh, heh, your next BTD will be "feeding" your new treasure. Have you priced ammo lately?

Hama Hama Oyster Company is giving an “Early Turkey” 15% discount, so time for more fresh oysters and clams!

1000 rounds (124g) are almost half the price of the gun. LOL.

Ah, yes. Ammunition inflation. I still recall buying surplus German left-over 9 x 19 (ca 1943) for $0.04/round. Never had a misfire and it was actually "hotter" than commercial stuff. Those days are over. Does anyone reload 9x19? I suppose they do, but I've never known anyone who does. Enjoy!

Yeah, people reload 9mm Luger all the time. On progressive presses.

Only thing I ever reloaded was Win AA 12 ga back when I was into trap shooting. I bought the el-cheapo (Lee?) loader for like $10! It was all by hand - no press and the crimper never worked unless you hit it with a rubber mallet. Always wondered how likely it was that hitting a shotgun shell crimper over a loaded and primed shell would cause it to go off (primer side down on deep carpet.) Never did as I'm able to type.

I eventually graduated to the manual crimper with the rotating stage which allowed many steps in a row. I think that cost me $40. Gotta remember this was all back in 1970 or so. I was shocked to see what that Progressive 9 x 19 rig cost. Heh, heh, my stash of ammo will last me the rest of my life - and I'll always save one back - just in case.:facepalm::LOL::blush::(

I've been waiting for the used car / cargo van market to cool off for way too long. This 2007 conversion van showed up in FB Marketplace and figured I'm not getting any younger.
Should be a comfy way to travel with the dogs.
Off to see some more National Parks and hot springs. Screenshot_2022-11-08-13-17-23.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q850 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Nice looking van, looks in great shape.

Built a new gaming PC setup. Hopefully this one will last me another 5+ years before it's time to upgrade any of the new parts.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($358.97 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($162.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SK Hynix Platinum P41 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($1409.99 @ B&H)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Retail - USB 64-bit ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Samsung SJ55W 34.1" 3440 x 1440 75 Hz Monitor ($238.28 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell S3422DWG 34.0" 3440 x 1440 144 Hz Curved Monitor ($379.99 @ Dell Technologies)
Keyboard: Logitech K350 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity Wired Optical Mouse ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Custom: Thrustmaster VG T.16000M Fcs HOTAS Controller (2960778) ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: USB Gaming Microphone, TONOR Computer Condenser PC Mic with Tripod Stand & Pop Filter for Streaming, Podcasting, Vocal Recording, Compatible with iMac PC Laptop Desktop Windows Computer, TC-7 ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: EZDIY-FAB PC Front Panel Internal Card Reader USB HUB, USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C Port,USB 3.0 Support SD MS XD CF TF Card for Computer, Fits Any 5.25" Computer Case Front Bay ($37.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $4142.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-11 13:26 EST-0500

Last edited:
Built a new gaming PC setup. Hopefully this one will last me another 5+ years before it's time to upgrade any of the new parts.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($358.97 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($162.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SK Hynix Platinum P41 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Retail - USB 64-bit ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Samsung SJ55W 34.1" 3440 x 1440 75 Hz Monitor ($238.28 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell S3422DWG 34.0" 3440 x 1440 144 Hz Curved Monitor ($379.99 @ Dell Technologies)
Keyboard: Logitech K350 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity Wired Optical Mouse ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Custom: Thrustmaster VG T.16000M Fcs HOTAS Controller (2960778) ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: USB Gaming Microphone, TONOR Computer Condenser PC Mic with Tripod Stand & Pop Filter for Streaming, Podcasting, Vocal Recording, Compatible with iMac PC Laptop Desktop Windows Computer, TC-7 ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: EZDIY-FAB PC Front Panel Internal Card Reader USB HUB, USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C Port,USB 3.0 Support SD MS XD CF TF Card for Computer, Fits Any 5.25" Computer Case Front Bay ($37.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2732.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-11 12:07 EST-0500

I don't see a video card there...

I used to reload .45 ammo when I used to shoot competitively. I packed up all my stuff, put it in the back of a small plane, and flew down to my son.
I can imagine ATF having a hissy over it. I am talking about multiple pounds of powder, lots of primers, 1000 rounds of .22 ammo and 500 once fired brass.

I used to reload .45 ammo when I used to shoot competitively. I packed up all my stuff, put it in the back of a small plane, and flew down to my son.
I can imagine ATF having a hissy over it. I am talking about multiple pounds of powder, lots of primers, 1000 rounds of .22 ammo and 500 once fired brass.

Heh, heh, I won't tell if you won't tell. I would imagine FAA wouldn't be too thrilled with that either.:LOL:

And you're doing some sim flying with the Thrustmaster gear? What sims do you like?

Elite Dangerous (space flying) and Microsoft Flight Simulator currently. Though since MW2 just came out and warzone 2 is about to launch, I'm mostly playing CoD for the next couple months probably.

Taking our 3 adult kids to Oahu next June for a week and then dh and I myself in Maui for a few days.

Airfare for the 5 of us is almost 6K (first class for dh and I, 2 flights from West Coast and 1 from DC). AirBNB for the 5 of us is $4500.

Now figuring out the budget for some activities and food.

This is way more than I expected, but I figure it will be our last big “family” trip for awhile.

Taking our 3 adult kids to Oahu next June for a week and then dh and I myself in Maui for a few days.

Airfare for the 5 of us is almost 6K (first class for dh and I, 2 flights from West Coast and 1 from DC). AirBNB for the 5 of us is $4500.

Now figuring out the budget for some activities and food.

This is way more than I expected, but I figure it will be our last big “family” trip for awhile.

If you don't particularly go in for fine dining or "luaus" with Tahitian dancing girls and fire twirlers, the "locals" here on the forum can direct you to good food at modest prices if you are interested.

DW and I visited the Islands a dozen times before moving here and learned how to live local before moving. BUT the "themed" food "experiences" can add a lot to your vacation and may well be worth the "outrageous" prices - especially if you're only gonna do it once. SO, you need to decide what's important to you. Once we'd done all the touristy places, we found we could easily save half our food budget (breakfast in the room or an Egg McMuffin, etc.) "Big" meal at lunch at a "nice" (but not too touristy) place. "Local" for dinner. We loved getting a "plate lunch" for dinner and taking it to a beach park to watch the sunset.

But our first time in the Islands, we did the Revolving Restaurant, Benihana, Hotel Luaus, Booze cruise or Luau cruise, etc. Well worth it to us - once.

I think my heater is dying. It's only 43 yrs old but stopped Wednesday evening to Friday morning. Getting estimate on replacing tomorrow. Ugh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom