Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, people reload 9mm Luger all the time. On progressive presses.
Is that a joke? What a waste of time.... I haven't figure it recently but as cheap as 9mm ammo is I wouldn't waste my time... Not sure you can save money "even today" after buying the bullets, primers and powder, not to mention the time involved (with de-priming, resizing, tumbling, priming, charging and seating). But YMMV

Last edited:
Is that a joke? What a waste of time.... I haven't figure it recently but as cheap as 9mm ammo is I wouldn't waste my time... Not sure you can save money "even today" after buying the bullets, primers and powder, not to mention the time involved (with de-priming, tumbling, resizing, priming, charging and seating). But YMMV

Interesting take. Last I bought any 9mm was 15 years ago. The very cheapest I could find today on the net (so you also gotta have it shipped and I'm guessing that could increase the price by 1/3 or 1/2) was TWICE what I paid "every day" at gun shops back in the day. 9mm WAS really cheap at gun shows back then.

Having said that, the loaders I looked at would mean you would have to reload a LOT to make it worth the effort/cost. So, I don't know if it would be worth reloading 9mm but YMMV.

Interesting take. Last I bought any 9mm was 15 years ago. The very cheapest I could find today on the net (so you also gotta have it shipped and I'm guessing that could increase the price by 1/3 or 1/2) was TWICE what I paid "every day" at gun shops back in the day. 9mm WAS really cheap at gun shows back then.

Having said that, the loaders I looked at would mean you would have to reload a LOT to make it worth the effort/cost. So, I don't know if it would be worth reloading 9mm but YMMV.
In the past I re-loaded a lot...38's, 357's, 44's and 45's and I reloaded all my rifle ammo (except 7.62's). But no 380's or 9mm's.. Just wasn't worth it.

It's moot point now... I have more 9mm ammo now than I'll ever be able to shoot. Good thing the shelf life of this stuff is "measured in decades".

Last edited:
In the past I re-loaded a lot...38's, 357's, 44's and 45's and I reloaded all my rifle ammo (except 7.62's). But no 380's or 9mm's.. Just wasn't worth it.

Thanks! Of course, my reloading (and, probably shooting) days are over. But I'm still interested in the subject. Aloha

^^^^^
My target shooting is down by ~90% in the last few years. Hunting is down 100%. Varmint eradication, (e.g. skunks, snakes, etc) is on-going. Really like my .410 Public Defender for varmints.

Last edited:
I think my heater is dying. It's only 43 yrs old but stopped Wednesday evening to Friday morning. Getting estimate on replacing tomorrow. Ugh!!
Estimate came in at 11.5k + permits, cash or check only. Really hard to sign contract as its been working fine since I replaced filters

At 43 years of service, you've had an exceptional run. Heater only or AC too?

Estimate came in at 11.5k + permits, cash or check only. Really hard to sign contract as its been working fine since I replaced filters

WOW!! A question for you. Is this a gas forced air furnace?

Is that a joke? What a waste of time.... I haven't figure it recently but as cheap as 9mm ammo is I wouldn't waste my time... Not sure you can save money "even today" after buying the bullets, primers and powder, not to mention the time involved (with de-priming, resizing, tumbling, priming, charging and seating). But YMMV

I don't reload 9mm either, tiny little cases are a pain. But many do along with their next favorite .223 rem.

Me, I did (used to shoot a lot) thousands of .38 special, .45 ACP, 45 colt, .357 mag, .44 mag, 454 Casull, .308 win and .357 max.

WOW!! [...]
My HVAC guy told me this fall that the wholesale prices they are paying for HVAC units, has skyrocketed. This has forced them to nearly double the price they charge customers to install a new system. He said that because of this, I am really lucky that mine is only 7 years old and in perfect shape (so far). Mine cost $7,200 in 2016, and he says that now it's going for $14K (or was it $17K? A lot, anyway...).

If it was me, I'd bite the bullet and sign that contract ASAP.

My HVAC guy told me this fall that the wholesale prices they are paying for HVAC units, has skyrocketed. This has forced them to double the price they charge customers to install a new system. He said that because of this, I am really lucky that mine is only 7 years old and in perfect shape (so far).

I suppose just like everything else. I heard that a couple we know had to replace their water heater and the price of them have doubled plus. So, I'm still living in those days gone by.

Forced air or boiler?

A forced-air gas furnace is relatively simple...short of a clogged or cracked heat exchanger every other part is swappable...e.g. control board, flame sensor, electronic igniter, draft motor, blower motor...for a lot less than $12k.

Forced air or boiler?

A forced-air gas furnace is relatively simple...short of a clogged or cracked heat exchanger every other part is swappable...e.g. control board, flame sensor, electronic igniter, draft motor, blower motor...for a lot less than $12k.

Good point. I've replaced multiple flame sensors (cleaned them as well to save $$ before replacement).

I've also replaced the blower motor. Also replaced the electrical board once. The system should give off some sort of diagnostic error, and or be something that a youtuber has encountered before. I always start with a google/youtube search like "Furnace blower runs and shuts off" or "Furnace doesn't turn on blower doesn't turn on" etc.

Saved myself lots of $$$$. New doesn't necessarily mean better. Some of these systems are pretty basic and haven't evolved much through the years.

Forced air or boiler?

Yes, exactly why I asked earlier in my post.

I think I took some bids earlier this year about replacing a filter with something which is suppose to filter out viruses.

Those on Yelp were quoting ballpark of well north of $500 but they usually wanted you to call and schedule an appointment and I would have to message them through Yelp that I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure to see if it was do-able.

I don't know if these contractors are unscrupulous or they had so many customers who never questioned their fees or maybe they just didn't get enough business so if they get a prospective customer, they have to try to maximize the fees because they don't know when they will get more business.

Great find at Costco - Lomo de Bellota 100% Ibérico by Essenciaúnica. This is a dry cured pork tenderloin processed the same way as Jamón Ibérico. We watched it being made when we visited a small Iberian Pig “ranch” and processing facility in southwestern Spain.

$38.97 a pound - yep. And the boxes are around $40. But that is 40% or less of what it’s being offered from various Spanish Importers. Costco buys their Jamón and Lomo directly from COVAP which is a cooperative specializing in Ibérico products.

Attachments

• B22651E3-C704-4C25-A82B-A97F808A1886.jpeg
    B22651E3-C704-4C25-A82B-A97F808A1886.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:

Get a couple more estimates. I had to replace the main waterline from the street to the house last week and the bids varied widely. Also, what is broken? How much to fix that?

Ten years ago next month I replaced my gas furnace (2,500 sf single story) for $2,500. I forget the BTU's. I went for the less expensive single stage Trane unit.

Built a new gaming PC setup.
Total: $4142.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-11 13:26 EST-0500

My last machine for editing photos is about 5 years old and still going ok. I think it was less than half of this, with fewer components. Got it from Cyberpower.

On the plus side, the new one should be much more efficient and cheaper to run.

For my own part, we just got a notice that the rest of our payment for a Viking cruise to Alaska is due. After the $1K deposit, we owe about $12K.

A parade of dresses for three adorable tiny girls (baby, toddler, and little girl sizes). I was able to get these on sale with free shipping so was able to buy more for the same total . . .

My two granddaughters (age 8 and 6) take ballet and DDIL took modern dance when she was younger. FINALLY this year we were able to see The Nutcracker at the KC Ballet. I wanted to wait till the kids were old enough to behave and then COVID intervened. My grandson is 3, but my son, bless him, stayed back at the house with him.

I'd bought the tickets in August- $510 for 4 of us plus $10 for a parking voucher. Snacks at intermission were another $40 and since I forgot to bring the tickets with me I paid $10 to park and then was able to get the performance tickets reprinted at the box office. The tickets were printed on plain paper and folded with the blank side out next to my purse. The 8-year old will draw on any blank piece of paper she finds, which is OK, but she moved them to another counter and I forgot them. I found them the next morning!

It was magical- really. The girls were on the edge of their seats most of the time. I'd forgotten what good seats I'd gotten- one balcony down from the highest, near center, first row in a segment with only the 4 seats so no climbing over strangers or vice versa. We did observe that if Little Brother had been there we'd have been VERY nervous having him right at the edge of a balcony!

It truly is more blessed to give than to receive.

My two granddaughters (age 8 and 6) take ballet and DDIL took modern dance when she was younger. FINALLY this year we were able to see The Nutcracker at the KC Ballet. I wanted to wait till the kids were old enough to behave and then COVID intervened. My grandson is 3, but my son, bless him, stayed back at the house with him.

I'd bought the tickets in August- $510 for 4 of us plus $10 for a parking voucher. Snacks at intermission were another $40 and since I forgot to bring the tickets with me I paid $10 to park and then was able to get the performance tickets reprinted at the box office. The tickets were printed on plain paper and folded with the blank side out next to my purse. The 8-year old will draw on any blank piece of paper she finds, which is OK, but she moved them to another counter and I forgot them. I found them the next morning!

It was magical- really. The girls were on the edge of their seats most of the time. I'd forgotten what good seats I'd gotten- one balcony down from the highest, near center, first row in a segment with only the 4 seats so no climbing over strangers or vice versa. We did observe that if Little Brother had been there we'd have been VERY nervous having him right at the edge of a balcony!

It truly is more blessed to give than to receive.
That is awesome!!!! A nice BTD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom