Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kicked in $10,000 to replace the Beautiful Princess’s wrecked car with an Acura RDX. She just went back to work and will payoff the balance this year.

I wasted a lot of money rolling through cars in my 20’s, but nothing approaching the nearly $90,000 on car purchases since 2018[emoji33]

DW and I spent $360 last night for an early BD dinner. WE had a bottle of Napa Cab, NZ salmon and pork belly for shared appetizers, 2 16oz American Waygu ribeyes with some roasted Brussel Sprouts, Garnished with some foiegras for me and mushrooms for the birthday girl. Yum!

Nice!

Coincidentally, I spent about the same last night for a birthday dinner. The kicker is that we were at home! (But we had 5 for dinner.)

Dungeness crab, rack of lamb, smoked salmon, lots of veggies, a few moderately priced bottles of wine and some north of $60. No one complained! :)

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new MacBook Pro laptop that I ordered online earlier this month. It wasn't scheduled to arrive until Feb 2-9, but over the weekend it landed in Memphis from China and made it on to my local FedEx delivery truck this morning in Northwest PA.

When I retired, I decided to switch to lower cost Windows computers after years of Apple products. But when the Dell laptop I purchased 3 years ago at retirement just suddenly stopped working one day in November, I decided it was back to Apple products. They are much more expensive. But they are good. I'll just skip a few doughnuts this year to help pay for it.

Now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that FedEx doesn't mis-deliver it like they did my sneakers a few months ago. Never did get them although the Fedex tracking says they delivered them when I was home waiting for them.

Are you ordering? If so, looking forward to your feedback.
Yes, I ordered today for delivery next week. 3 doz grillers for the grill obviously, and 3 doz Hama Hama oysters mostly for enjoying raw on the half shell, and the clams add-on.

I’ve already gained some decent experience shucking oysters. I look forward to getting even better at it! :dance:

I’ll report. I’ve had their Hama Hama oysters in Seattle before, and loved them.

I posted my discovery yesterday in the “What we’re grilling etc.” thread, and today decided I really wanted those oysters! Several recommended suppliers are reviewed in the article link below.
I found a new place to blow that dough! For my “oyster project” - I’ve been grilling oysters but the gulf coast oysters are too small. So I need some Pacific NW oysters. I’ve actually had the Hama Hama oysters raw at a bar in Seattle - they were lovely!
Best Oyster Delivery Services: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/best-oyster-delivery-services-5182257

Last edited:
Got it today. The grillers are enormous! Plan to have the smaller Hama Hama oysters on the half shell today, and grill the grillers tomorrow.

They smell really great too - super fresh!

Hama Hama oysters, Manila clams, grillers.

Attachments

• A6091CF7-6F75-4199-8582-4E9887EA37AC.jpeg
    A6091CF7-6F75-4199-8582-4E9887EA37AC.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 91E68498-4045-4A97-9908-21BCA64C0733.jpeg
    91E68498-4045-4A97-9908-21BCA64C0733.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Paint the house...$10.5k. New porcelain tile floors in guest bedroom and master closet...$2.5k. Happy GF...priceless.

Got it today. The grillers are enormous! Plan to have the smaller Hama Hama oysters on the half shell today, and grill the grillers tomorrow.

They smell really great too - super fresh!

Hama Hama oysters, Manila clams, grillers.

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase! I'm so afraid of buying shellfish on line; not so much as freshness, but quality. They look scrumptious, begging for a small splash of lemon juice, maybe some with cocktail sauce, or some just plain, washed down with my 2019 Sauv Blanc!:dance:

I'mma gonna order some too! I like that they also have pints of shucked. Oyster stew and fried oysters, po boys - :)

Yeah get me a couple dozen for half shell and sauce and a couple pints for frying and soup. Thanks for the tip!

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase! I'm so afraid of buying shellfish on line; not so much as freshness, but quality. They look scrumptious, begging for a small splash of lemon juice, maybe some with cocktail sauce, or some just plain, washed down with my 2019 Sauv Blanc!:dance:
That’s why I was delighted to be able to order directly from the grower. I already knew this reputable grower from the Puget Sound area.

Some Hama Hama oysters on the half shell tonight eaten with lemon and a drop of hot sauce and what’s left of a white Bordeaux. Grilling oysters with basil garlic butter tomorrow! I already have a Sancerre (Sauv Blanc from the Loire region) chilling for tomorrow.

Attachments

• 0AC7177F-E6AF-4622-A082-9E7C3BB985C5.jpeg
    0AC7177F-E6AF-4622-A082-9E7C3BB985C5.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 89
Sorry, I'm green with envy and am very jealous. DW just had a TKR, so I will order some once she is back on her feet, and knee!

Grilling oysters!

I never eat raw shellfish, but recall grilling some oysters in one RV trip to Washington State, when we parked the motorhome at a timeshare to spend one week at a rented condo in Copalis Beach.

I found a seafood store called Lytle Seafood, went there and got some big oysters, and also scored some sturgeon fillet. Now, the oysters were a daily item there, but sturgeon was a rare catch.

Made ourselves a nice dinner that night, by grilling the oysters, and pan-frying the sturgeon to eat with pasta.

Oh man! I would not call it "blowing the dough" because it did not cost that much buying right on the locale.

10965-albums279-picture2539.jpg

Last edited:
Boat runs well. Survey has 24 pages of work needed to be done. Yeah boats. Price is market value, no "good deal" as it may.

Dunno. Lotta dough. Spent 2 grand already and have nothing. Getting estimates on fixes, will proceed (or not) as digested. I'm thinking hard.

I like the boat, but the survey indicated it has four 200 gallon fuel tanks and this "manifold selector" valve board down there in the engine room with 8 valves and giving you a choice of what tank you want to draw from and what tank you want to return to. Seems like a lotta work.

None of the electronics (auto helm, radar, chart plotter, depth sounder, VHF) work on the fly bridge. Both toilets don't work, trim tabs don't work and dingy davit don't work.

Lotta stuff don't work. I dunno.

Surveyor valued the boat (as is) 92 grand. Replacement cost (new boat) three quarter mill. Was trying to keep cost around 100 grand. Now looks more like eighth mill.

We shall see...

Well, some cars cost more than the 1/8 mill cost of this boat, and don't do as much for you as the boat.

I would take the 2K hit and not throw good money after bad, IMO. That is too much " nothing works" to pay somebody else to fix. They'd have to drop the price significantly.

Besides the money, my main concern would be the process for getting everything working. Is there a place you can rely on to do the work and, is there any challenge in getting parts?

The good news is that you’ll have a new BTD post every time you fuel that puppy up. Wow, 800 gallons.

Yeah there is a good boatyard in Stockton (where my slip will be) and another in Alameda (where the boat is), Stockton tends to be less expensive (of course), central valley vs Bay area.

The hull is sound, the mechanical plant is sound, shafts and struts, rudders. Electrical is good, Heat, AC and fridge work, stove works and all the electronics in the salon work. The auto pilot works, just not on the fly bridge. I' be happy with just a chart plotter on the flybridge, really nice to have one to navigate the delta where every river/slough looks the same.

The twin Volvo Penta turbo diesels purr like kittens, the Hurth gears are smooth. It's a nice quiet boat that doesn't vibrate a lot. Just gonna be more dough than I expected. But hey, it's a boat right? I think these guys expect this kind of "sticker shock", the surveyor told me that his job is to point out the 1% wrong with the boat and not the 99% that's right.

Ah, but don't forget the money Robbie will save with all the fresh catch he will get with this boat.

The 800 gallons will last longer if he just putters the boat along. He's retired and can take time to cruise. He may even sell the house to live onboard.

800 gallons is just about how much gasoline I buy for our two cars each year!:D

Yeah, and 800 gallons would get RobbieB about 2/3 of the way to Hawaii! Can't do that with your cars 'cause YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom