Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, but don't forget the money Robbie will save with all the fresh catch he will get with this boat.

The 800 gallons will last longer if he just putters the boat along. He's retired and can take time to cruise. He may even sell the house to live onboard.

Maybe add a couple of heavy duty electric trolling motors and some soar panels for when the sea is calm and he just needs to more to a better spot for fishing? Or, if the hull allows for it, string up a couple of sails for the windy days?

Lots of "opportunities" to make use of the elements for additional power.;)

Last edited:
What's the cost of 800 gallons of diesel, vs. a business-class seat to Europe?

What brings you more pleasure, and for how long? YMMV, indeed.

Maybe add a couple of heavy duty electric trilling motors and some soar panels for when the sea is calm and he just needs to more to a better spot for fishing? Or, if the hull allows for it, string up a couple of sails for the windy days?

Lots of "opportunities" to make use of the elements for additional power.;)

Enter my pitch for solar panels and LFP batteries. :D

Robbie will need lots of LFP batteries, regardless. A rich retiree needs his comfort, and comfort needs a power source.

I couldn't imagine getting that far and running out of fuel though!:LOL:

Far better off running short of fuel in a boat than this guy's experience:

Man ditches plane into ocean off coast of Hawaii after running out of gas

A 65-year-old man flying from California to Hawaii was forced to ditch his plane in the Pacific Ocean on Friday night 13 miles off the coast of Hilo after running out of gas, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

The man was flying for delivery a Cessna 310 twin-engine aircraft from Monterey, California, to Hilo when he radioed federal aviation authorities that he was 500 miles out and low on fuel...

Boat runs well. Survey has 24 pages of work needed to be done. Yeah boats. Price is market value, no "good deal" as it may.

Dunno. Lotta dough. Spent 2 grand already and have nothing. Getting estimates on fixes, will proceed (or not) as digested. I'm thinking hard.

I like the boat, but the survey indicated it has four 200 gallon fuel tanks and this "manifold selector" valve board down there in the engine room with 8 valves and giving you a choice of what tank you want to draw from and what tank you want to return to. Seems like a lotta work.

None of the electronics (auto helm, radar, chart plotter, depth sounder, VHF) work on the fly bridge. Both toilets don't work, trim tabs don't work and dingy davit don't work.

Lotta stuff don't work. I dunno.

Surveyor valued the boat (as is) 92 grand. Replacement cost (new boat) three quarter mill. Was trying to keep cost around 100 grand. Now looks more like eighth mill.

We shall see...
Geting all that up to snuff sure beats boredom, and prevents brain rot.

He should have shut down one engine to conserve fuel.

Actually, that may have made things worse as fuel consumption for the added power required to maintain flight on a single engine can be more than the fuel needed for two engines at cruising speed.

In another lifetime I was in the right seat of a twin engine aircraft flying from Midway Island to Adak, Alaska. This is a distance of some 1,800 miles, very close to the maximum range of the aircraft. I recall very vividly that if we lost an engine after flying 800 or before flying 1,000 miles we would run out of fuel before being able to make it back to Midway or to our destination in Adak.

Around here, 800 gallons of diesel is about $2,400. In Ca, add about 25%.

Compared to a business-class seat to Europe which may run up to $5K from where I am, that's not bad.

And the airfare is for one person too, while you can take a whole crew on the boat. Cook your own food, sleep in your own bed, watch your own TV shows. What's not to like?

Last edited:
What the heck was this guy thinking knowing that the max range of the aircraft would not make it. :confused:

Obviously not planned well. He should have shut down one engine to conserve fuel.

The pilot: "Dang! I was badly misinformed by the weather forecast about the wind condition. I swear I will never trust them again."

I just received a quote to redo floors in half my small ranch house. I definitely want to remove the carpeting. I just had it installed 4 years ago, but it hasn’t held up well. High traffic keeps the pile matted down and I think it looks horrible. I also somewhat made a poor color choice given the wall colors I used when I also repainted.

Square footage: 740
Carpet removal only: $860
Carpet removal + refinishing: $6800
Carpet removal + replacement of hardwoods with new: $11,600

The other half of the house has relatively new hardwoods already in it from the previous owners. For total replacement, I would be matching that color and material as close as possible. The current underlying hardwoods are structurally fine. They just have areas of discoloration from previous coatings that have worn off in places. The colors don’t 100% match the other half of the house, but are in the same ballpark.

As much as I like to blow the dough, I’m struggling with paying $11k to do a total replace, even if that would undoubtedly look best. I also don’t know if I want to deal with resurfacing.

Decisions, decisions. I’ve accepted the quote to pull up the carpet and take it away. That was $5000 of wasted money. I’ll have to noodle on my next steps. I may just buy some nice area rugs and call the discolored hardwoods “shabby chic”.

The cool thing about 800 gallons of fuel in this boat is you have a 1200 nautical mile range. Gas up once a year - :)

Blowing dough today on a 2022 Model Y Tesla ! We are thrilled. It rides great and it feels good to go "green" for our grandkids.

2022 Toyota Camry XSE with red leather interior. All the bells and whistles. One of two new vehicle purchases planned this year to recapitalize for the next 15 years. Unfortunately it looks like the Ford Maverick Hybrid may be slipping into late 2022 or maybe 2023.

I just received a quote to redo floors in half my small ranch house. I definitely want to remove the carpeting. I just had it installed 4 years ago, but it hasn’t held up well. High traffic keeps the pile matted down and I think it looks horrible. I also somewhat made a poor color choice given the wall colors I used when I also repainted.

The other half of the house has relatively new hardwoods already in it from the previous owners. For total replacement, I would be matching that color and material as close as possible. The current underlying hardwoods are structurally fine. They just have areas of discoloration from previous coatings that have worn off in places. The colors don’t 100% match the other half of the house, but are in the same ballpark.

As much as I like to blow the dough, I’m struggling with paying $11k to do a total replace, even if that would undoubtedly look best. I also don’t know if I want to deal with resurfacing.

Decisions, decisions. I’ve accepted the quote to pull up the carpet and take it away. That was $5000 of wasted money. I’ll have to noodle on my next steps. I may just buy some nice area rugs and call the discolored hardwoods “shabby chic”.

Actually , that is exactly what I would do. You can then live with it for a bit to see if you're ok with it. You would probably want a few rugs anyway to soften up the floors and the look. You can always do the refinish or replace later if you wish.

The cool thing about 800 gallons of fuel in this boat is you have a 1200 nautical mile range. Gas up once a year - :)

Yep! I go through that much gas in a year plus. Not a big deal for me I'm not going to sit in the house I go. Plenty of time to sit when I have to in my years in the future.

Travelers spend that much on one trip.

What's the cost of 800 gallons of diesel, vs. a business-class seat to Europe?

What brings you more pleasure, and for how long? YMMV, indeed.

Around here, 800 gallons of diesel is about $2,400. In Ca, add about 25%.

I don't know how much diesel is relative to unleaded but in the Bay Area, unleaded is over $4.50.

May be cheaper in Stockton though.

Does seem high. Is it actual hardwood that they'd have to sand down and finish or those engineered hardwood planks?

Maybe pandemic has changed things but I don't recall paying nearly as much to have engineering hardwoods installed throughout the house.

Including whole flights of stairs. which was a PITA for them and for me because they sanded the edges a lot to round them off, causing sawdust everywhere.

Actually, that may have made things worse as fuel consumption for the added power required to maintain flight on a single engine can be more than the fuel needed for two engines at cruising speed.

In another lifetime I was in the right seat of a twin engine aircraft flying from Midway Island to Adak, Alaska. This is a distance of some 1,800 miles, very close to the maximum range of the aircraft. I recall very vividly that if we lost an engine after flying 800 or before flying 1,000 miles we would run out of fuel before being able to make it back to Midway or to our destination in Adak.

the 310 does have a longer range with one feathered.
Our plane I can get to about 10 MPG with both turning @2100/20", doing about 160 MPH indicated and 170~180 True Airspeed (TAS).
It scoots right along at 130 MPH on one, burning about 12 GPH. It just makes for a very long day :)
The math for it is related to best Lift over Drag ( LoD), which is always near the best rate of climb airspeed. This is about 120 MPH.
Best single engine rate of climb is 111 MPH. The two engines simply are not happy at power levels that low, the 2100 RPM is about it. The propeller governors will get down to 1950 but the plugs tend to foul up that cool.
Ours has extra tanks for a total of 168 gallons. It can hop to europe via Greenland and Iceland, but Hawaii requires a ferry tank installation.

That plane had a ferry tank in the fuselage, but apparently not enough.

2022 Toyota Camry XSE with red leather interior. All the bells and whistles. One of two new vehicle purchases planned this year to recapitalize for the next 15 years. Unfortunately it looks like the Ford Maverick Hybrid may be slipping into late 2022 or maybe 2023.

I'm looking into a new Camry. Ours is pushing 200k miles.

Blowing my nieces' inheritence. Paid cash.

Took delivery of new to me Cadillac CT6, 2020 premium luxe. Supercruise, night vision, Panaray audio plus a bunch of other stuff.
Need to spend time RTFM to figure it all out.
Weighs only 100lb more than the 2012 Cts4 I sold a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom