Blow that Dough 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I continue to blow my dough on travel - I've added a camping trip to the three Washington State national parks in July (on top of earlier-this-year trips to Cancun, Chile, and the Baltic States, and later-in-the-year trips to Yorkshire, South Korea, and Costa Rica).

I've also started to blow my dough by helping my DD through what is likely to be a longer-than-usual unemployment stretch - she's been working as an in-house tech recruiter and when firms are busy laying off tech workers they certainly aren't hiring more tech recruiters!

I continue to blow my dough on travel - I've added a camping trip to the three Washington State national parks in July (on top of earlier-this-year trips to Cancun, Chile, and the Baltic States, and later-in-the-year trips to Yorkshire, South Korea, and Costa Rica).

I've also started to blow my dough by helping my DD through what is likely to be a longer-than-usual unemployment stretch - she's been working as an in-house tech recruiter and when firms are busy laying off tech workers they certainly aren't hiring more tech recruiters!

I think it could be a significant BTD for DD. Let us hope not.

Excellent BTDs. Do feel free to PM us regarding the national parks here. We live close to Rainier and our new home is in the rain shadow of the Olympics.
The lodge at Hurricane Ridge burned down this spring so that area is closed but it may open up by the time you get here. We know the parks well.

The lodge at Hurricane Ridge burned down this spring so that area is closed but it may open up by the time you get here. We know the parks well.

Oh no! I love Hurricane Ridge so visited it several times - the visitor center, right?

Last edited:
yes the day lodge, it was tragic. They were doing construction and probably one of those avoidable accidents.
FvnqFAvaUAIjj3P.jpg:large

^^^^^

Apparently, no adequate Fire Watch. I'm guessing that's also why Notre Dame burned. At Megacorp, when contractors where hired for a j*b, our people always stood fire watch if so much as a spark was to be generated. Very effective.

We are focusing on our backyard this year. We love to have cookouts with friends and neighbors and use our backyard a lot. We had the gazabo ripped out and the concrete replaced with stamped, stained concrete. Next we are having the downspouts buried, the front porch sealed and any holes in the stucco filled. Then a new fence will be installed then a landscaper will figure out what will make it look nice. It's expensive, but we are really only here in the PNW in the good weather and make good use of our backyard, I just wish it was bigger (corner lot with a lot of wasted front yard space.)

We are in the travel phase of retirement and are gone six months of the year. I'm hoping this is the last year we will need major work done on the house for a while so we have more time to chill and enjoy. I'm also questioning whether to buy a winter place or keep renting. I'm burnt out on home repairs and remodeling.

House updates

Frequent lurker, very infrequent poster. Currently spending $$$ to get various house projects complete. Just finished putting on a new roof, having the flashing replaced, siding repaired, broken shutters replaced, and new gutters put on the house. The next projects are to tear out and repave the driveway and to replace and upgrade the garage doors. Then on to inside projects in 2024...BTD!

Frequent lurker, very infrequent poster. Currently spending $$$ to get various house projects complete. Just finished putting on a new roof, having the flashing replaced, siding repaired, broken shutters replaced, and new gutters put on the house. The next projects are to tear out and repave the driveway and to replace and upgrade the garage doors. Then on to inside projects in 2024...BTD!

That sounds like a bunch of $$$!

Son moved into his new condo yesterday. Son is slightly disabled so we wanted him to have something with some permanence. If the wife is done shopping I think we'll have finished up around $40 grand spent. This is money well spent in my book. :cool:

Son moved into his new condo yesterday. Son is slightly disabled so we wanted him to have something with some permanence. If the wife is done shopping I think we'll have finished up around $40 grand spent. This is money well spent in my book. :cool:

Congratulations! It's a wonderful feeling to see one of your kiddos well settled.:D

We are in the midst of our 2023 home improvement projects. We just finished having all the cabinets refaced with new doors in our laundry room. It was a huge cost that could have been avoided. The original owner added a cabinet above the laundry sink that did not quite match the rest of the cabinets. I am a bit anal about this type of thing so it has always bugged me to look at it. The original style of cabinets were still available but the original owner must have done it on the cheap to save a couple hundred $. By the time we decided to correct it, the original cabinet style was discontinued so we had no choice but to go with the refacing with all new cabinet doors. The cost was almost unbelievably high, almost as high as buying all new cabinets. Oh well, it looks really nice now.

The current ongoing project is to enclose our screened in lanai. We just do no use this space which is about 330 square ft because it it too hot and humid out there in summers, and you get a lot of dust and rain coming in. We plan to use it for a family room/extended entertainment space when done. We have already added extra electrical and they will be installing high 130 mph wind rated windows and door in about 10 days. Next will be a ceiling mounted Mitsubishi mini-split for A/C-heat. Then will come new LVP flooring, new furniture, big TV and fireplace. BTD!

I spent some money buying some plane tickets to visit mom in Mexico.

I've had pavement and cement driveways, and really prefer cement, it lasts longer and has less problems.

Sounds perfect! House hubby and I are building has 1500 sq feet of living space and I’m finding it the perfect size. May your build be swift and problem free!!

Signed the contract for a NEW single story, energy efficient, 1,500 square foot home in the process of being built here in Texas. All new everything and in a new neighborhood locally. It won't be completed until late August.

Oh, sold the existing home in two days and 2% over asking price too boot! I move out by the 21st of this month.;)

I've had pavement and cement driveways, and really prefer cement, it lasts longer and has less problems.

Wherever you have freezing weather, you have cracking concrete. But, I agree, I prefer concrete. It can be repaired and will last a lot longer than pavement.

No, I am moving to north Montgomery County where it's not as crowded, not as much traffic, and home prices are more affordable. Where I am in The Woodlands, traffic is crazy and it's over developed. Taxes are about the same.

And it's not in a mature 55+ community like I am now.

We moved to Reno from Kingwood, same problems, although Reno is more expensive, but luckily we bought in 2015. Couldn't afford to buy in Reno now.

Hired a house cleaning service. Six, six hour monthly visits. First visit complete and I am happy with the service. It made me feel lazy till she got here and I had to do so much of the work.

I don’t like cleaning but figured I have all the free time so I just kept half assing it for the last 14 years. Had people over after and they commented how nice it looks. Still makes me feel like I’m being a lazy slug though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom