"Childhood diseases "

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Is there any way or need to check immunity to MMR/chicken pox et al?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Do you have something specific in mind? Generally speaking one does not need to know in men and in women after reproductive age. There are tests to determine status roughly but sometimes (often) people who test 'non-immune' are clinically effectively immune (eg rubella in previously vaccinated reproductive age women) and people who test 'immune' are still susceptible to disease caused by the virus in question (eg shingles). If you had childhood immunizations and grew up it a temperate climate then you have likely been exposed to all of the viruses you mentioned.

I'm rather sure I had pertussis and mumps in my 40s.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Talk to your doc. My doc ran a test to check chicken pox antibodies at my request before I got the shingles vaccine.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Measles mumps rubella and chicken pox antibodies can be measured and are sometimes required to be verified for employment of healthcare workers, military, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

If you are going to be around babies or someone with weak immune system it would be good to know if you are a carrier of germs.

If you are going to be around babies or someone with weak immune system it would be good to know if you are a carrier of germs.

For every cell in your body that is 'you', there are 10 'germs' in and on you.

Vaccine Introduction Dates

Somewhat off topic, but a fascinating timeline for the development of vaccines.
Did you know that the vaccination for measles wasn't developed until 1963. When I was a kid, when one person in the school got measles, everyone got measles. It was in 1955 when Jonas Salk developed the first effective vaccine for polio. Polio was absolutely the most feared disease and at the time everyone knew at least several persons who suffered, and were in an "iron lung".
As I recall, the only vaccination I received as a small child, was for smallpox.

This website will be well worth your click... if only to to take a minute to spin through the names and dates, from the late 1700's to the many dozens that have come into play in the past decade.

Historic Dates and Events Related to Vaccines and Immunization

Back
Top Bottom