Current Covid Booster - September 2023

Got my shot today. Kroger’s online reservation system was too buggy and I couldn’t make a reservation but I could see they weren’t busy. No waiting when I showed up.

They weren’t filling out the old paper vaccine cards but in my state, records are available online for downloading to the wallet app on iPhones. The pharmacist said it should show up in about a week.

I decided to wait until next month for flu - October as usual.

I was thinking more in terms of you cannot log in because the phone is dead and you need 2FA, not that data would be lost.

Since this morning I have learned that my state does have online vax records but after consulting support they do not know why I cannot access mine so I have no idea what they look like.

I use a Google Voice number or e-mail for 2FA. I could use my iPad or Mac if my phone died. I’d also be making a quick trip to the Apple Store for a new phone. Luckily it hasn’t happened to me, because it sounds like it’d be an expensive day!

I use a Google Voice number or e-mail for 2FA. I could use my iPad or Mac if my phone died. I’d also be making a quick trip to the Apple Store for a new phone. Luckily it hasn’t happened to me, because it sounds like it’d be an expensive day!

Hmm. I haven't used google voice. I had back luck with some early free services (not google) disappearing on me randomly so I don't sign up for things so freely now.

Last edited:
Hmm. I haven't used google voice. I had back luck with some early free services (not google) disappearing on me randomly so I don't sign up for things so freely now.

Google Voice is safer for 2FA since it avoids SMS hijacking.

No guarantee that Google won’t eventually get rid of this service, but it’s been good for the last decade. Unfortunately, Google’s track record is not great, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they got rid of it at some point.

No guarantee that Google won’t eventually get rid of this service, but it’s been good for the last decade. Unfortunately, Google’s track record is not great, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they got rid of it at some point.

Google Voice does not always work. Some institutions require true phone number from providers, not VOIP phone. That is my experience.

Yeah years from now, you may not know where the card is.

But you would be able to search and find a way to download the vaccination record.

That's assuming the state maintains the records for years.

But I keep a note of all the vaccinations I've done since a couple of years ago. It's obviously not an official record but it's useful for things like known when I last got a tetanus shot.

It resides on my computer and on iCloud in the Notes app.

Google Voice does not always work. Some institutions require true phone number from providers, not VOIP phone. That is my experience.

Some institutions won't accept GV numbers for 2FA.

But I've never had GV down. Even if it is down a particular time, it will come back up.

I would rather use GV than a carrier number which can be hijacked.

People (in the US) who don't have insurance or poor vaccine insurance can get free Covid 19 vaccine through the Bridge Access program. Search by Zip and check the box for Bridge Access https://www.vaccines.gov/search/

Just got a reschedule required notice from CVS due to not available at the original location, and now suddenly only 3 locations in the metro area have the Moderna vaccine. At least they had appointments available for tomorrow which was when we had appointments to get vaccinated.

I guess I feel a little more confident now that they’ll have it, but it sure is annoying. A lot farther to drive, but whatever.

We’re trying to get this in time for a trip.

I mentioned this in the Medicare Part D thread earlier but our local pharmacy is out of the Covid vaccine. No date available for a new supply.

Plenty of the annual flu shot vaccine so I got that.

Last edited:
Anyone get the COVID booster and flu shot at the same time?

Yes, I did this past Sunday. No problems.
I don't know, you look a little "green" in your picture to me.

Last edited:
No, just the flu shot. Next nearest pharmacy is ~45 mins away and I'm not sure they have it in stock.

I had the shot two days ago and the only effect I’ve had is a bit of tenderness at the injection site, probably due to the needle stick. After my first dose way back when, I had low grade fever and general muscle aches and fatigue. None of that this time.

DW got hers this afternoon. No waiting at Kroger.

I think your arm is going to be a little sore at the injection point regardless of what shot it is. Even pure water would hurt, because they are forcing fluid into muscle tissue where it is not normally present.

Well... I finally have an appt for the covid shot for just over 1 month from now. I have Kaiser. Last week when I tried to sign up for an appt I went through the hassle of the e-visit (required to get an appt) only to have it return that they didn't have vaccines yet. So I tried again today - website said they had plenty of vaccines... and pick my preferred location... it came back with a date almost 2 months from now... so I opted for "any location" (in my county)... I have an appt for 11/3.

I leave for Italy 9 days later... so I should have semi-boosted immunity when I leave.

Can't just go to the pharmacy, because Kaiser won't reimburse.

But the timing works out well because I was planning on getting the flu shot in late October (so the immunity lasts into late winter). There's a walk in flu-shot clinic at the site I'm getting my covid shot.

Didn't realize Kaiser was so much trouble just for a shot.

I have to say I do not like getting shots at the pharmacy though and do not think they should be doing it as they seem to be stretched too thin as it is. Unfortunately my doctor only does flu shots but not covid. I think that is due to cost - flu shots are cheap.

Anyone get the COVID booster and flu shot at the same time?

Our son did this on Friday, made him feel unwell all weekend, and while chatting with folks in the pharmacy waiting for our Covid shot 2 folks said they had done this last year. One person said it knocked her for 6 so she was doing them individually this time and the other person said they had no problem so were getting both at once again. (Each person that went in for their Covid shots were being asked if they wanted a flu vaccine jab while they were there)

Back
Top Bottom