Current Covid Booster - September 2023

I got access to my state vaccination records. There was a misspelling issue and my account wouldn't work until I called customer service.

Current "fully vaccinated" in the US means you have had the most recent booster so I don't think the vaccine cards showing a series of 2 then some boosters are relevant. We're keeping them but more like souvenirs sort of like people had old WWII era gas ration cards years later to show the grandchildren.

Well... I finally have an appt for the covid shot for just over 1 month from now. I have Kaiser. Last week when I tried to sign up for an appt I went through the hassle of the e-visit (required to get an appt) only to have it return that they didn't have vaccines yet. So I tried again today - website said they had plenty of vaccines... and pick my preferred location... it came back with a date almost 2 months from now... so I opted for "any location" (in my county)... I have an appt for 11/3.

I leave for Italy 9 days later... so I should have semi-boosted immunity when I leave.

Can't just go to the pharmacy, because Kaiser won't reimburse.

But the timing works out well because I was planning on getting the flu shot in late October (so the immunity lasts into late winter). There's a walk in flu-shot clinic at the site I'm getting my covid shot.

Oh, wow. We have had no problems getting appt online for both flu and covid at Kaiser, and they have a link where you could go elsewhere if desired. But this was for OR/WA area.

How long are people waiting to get the booster if you recently had Covid? I read around 90 days but wondered if that is what others are doing.

TIA

Oh, wow. We have had no problems getting appt online for both flu and covid at Kaiser, and they have a link where you could go elsewhere if desired. But this was for OR/WA area.

It seems to vary widely by where you are... In LA they have some walk in clinics. Same with Kern county. But San Diego every covid shot clinic is by appt only. No walk ins. No earlier appointments.

And - Kaiser differentiates who can go to a pharmacy if they don't want to wait. Medicare advantage - NOPE. (My sister is in this group.). Commercial plans (theoretically employer group plans:confused:) can get the shots at any pharmacy until 11/11. Self funded (presumably, anything bought directly by an individual from Kaiser, or any bought through covered ca - in other words, not group coverage) have to go through Kaiser's covid shot clinics. That would be me.

My sister and I were texting back and forth a lot last night about this. She happens to have a doctors appt today - she's already scheduled to get the RSV shot at the appointment, she's going to ask to get covid today as well. Hey - it's worth asking. Her appointment she made as backup option 2 is a week after mine. As back up one she has an appointment at CVS on Saturday. Her kaiser plan might (or might not) allow her to do this. She's a retired teacher and gets her insurance through her union retiree benefits... so that *might* be commercial... but she's on Medicare... so she might not be allowed. We were busy sending each other links to try to figure it out. We did figure out that it's over $100 if you are not covered to go outside Kaiser, but do anyway.

Yeah... not thrilled with Kaiser, San Diego County, on this one.

My DW and I got our Flu shots on Monday, but were told they ran out of Covid and RSV, but to come back Wednesday. Flu shot immediate sore arm for both of us lasted until Wed. The couple in line in front got both Covid and Flu, but were walk ups. We had appointments, go figure.

Wednesday, we went in for the Covid shot. It was Pfizer and same arm. It was only sore a few hours, now no pain or any other symptoms. When I asked which RSV vax, they said GSK and thought it odd to ask, as they have not seen the Pfizer vax for RSV. i told them we would pass on GSK. The adjuvant in it is the same as for their Shingrex shot and known to cause severe reactions, whereas the Pfizer vax did not. They thought I was crazy to pass, they had no clue.

Got both flu and COVID (Pfizer) shots earlier this week. No major issues, maybe a little bit of fatigue. In the past had all Moderna which knocked me out for 2-3 days each time, hmmm.

Forgot to get my Vaccine card filled in (CVS). Anyone think that's an issue?

Got both flu and COVID (Pfizer) shots earlier this week. No major issues, maybe a little bit of fatigue. In the past had all Moderna which knocked me out for 2-3 days each time, hmmm.

No, they enter it into online EMR database.
At least our Kaiser was able to pull in all of our history from Rite Aid.
You could take your card back to CVS and have them fill it out if you wish.

I also think you can take your card back to be filled out as CVS has the record of your vax.

Is it an issue? Probably not.

Update on the Kaiser Permanente situation in San Diego. My sister asked at her Dr appt yesterday and the doctor laughed then ranted that even the staff couldn't get it in a timely way.

My sister is hoping her Medicare card will be enough for it to be covered at CVS... but since she has Kaiser, she is on an advantage plan, and Medicare covers it through the b plan. She's going to see if the pharmacy asks for money.

No, they enter it into online EMR database.
At least our Kaiser was able to pull in all of our history from Rite Aid.
You could take your card back to CVS and have them fill it out if you wish.

I also think you can take your card back to be filled out as CVS has the record of your vax.

Is it an issue? Probably not.

Looks like the days of having CDC Covid Vac cards are coming to an end.

https://news.yahoo.com/goodbye-covid-19-vaccination-card-182001470.html

Last edited:
Got the Pfizer today at Safeway. When I booked they didn't even show which one they offered at this site.

When I showed up they told me they had Pfizer.

They didn't update my card, said it's all online.

Well nobody is checking the cards anyways.

Got the Pfizer today at Safeway.

They didn't update my card, said it's all online.

Well nobody is checking the cards anyways.
You typically don't receive a vaccination card for the flu, RSV, shingles, and similar vaccines, right? COVID is no longer considered a pandemic, and COVID vaccines are now administered and reported like any other routine vaccine to the state. [emoji4]

Actually Walgreens gave me a paper vaccine record card they apparently use for other vaccines so some people must want them.

Hey, I had to get a scary needle stuck in my arm 6 times to get my current CDC paper card. I want proper recognition for that. I would be even happier if they stuck a gold star on it.

Got 3 jabs together at the CVS last Friday: Covid, Flu and RSV
Forgot to take an ibuprofen before bedtime and woke up with chills, light fever. Lasted but a short time and was then good as new... Well as new as a 62 year old could feel.
Filled up my CDC card. Where can I show it for valuable gifts and prizes?

Cheers
Big-Papa

I got the Pfizer yesterday.

Took a long time for the injection site to be noticeably sore. I thought at first I was getting off light.

This morning I felt a sharp pain in my right elbow along with some duller pain on my ribs on the right side. Lasted for about a minute.

Made me Google about stroke symptoms but now I wonder if it was the booster.

Never had anything like this with any other vaccine, covid or otherwise.

Around 24-26 hours after the shot, felt sleepy, kind of tired standing up. I was going to go out for a walk, which I usually do for about an hour.

But I stayed, tried to get a nap.

This kind of fatigue and sluggishness is something I've felt with other vaccines, kind of feeling groggy, wanting to sleep.

Also had some headache but it lasted only a few seconds, like it went from the top front of my skull to the back and gone.

Hope it's just this vaccine ...

I have to say I do not like getting shots at the pharmacy though and do not think they should be doing it as they seem to be stretched too thin as it is. Unfortunately my doctor only does flu shots but not covid. I think that is due to cost - flu shots are cheap.

The covid shots are more complex and require better refrigeration, so I can see some doctor offices deciding it's not worth the extra effort and cost.

My wife got her Moderna vaccination Monday and I had mine yesterday at Publix. I was just a little tired and my shoulder is only a little sore. No big deal. I didn't even notice when the cute young lady with the bubbly personality gave me the shot. I almost thought she would pat this old man on the head for being so cooperative. :D
We were both given a dated sticker to place on our cards but they had run out of room so I photocopied them to carry in our wallets. I have always taken a picture of the cards to keep with the phone in case sometime in the future it is needed. I tend to save things. (I still have my draft card from the 60s.)

Cheers!

Hey, I had to get a scary needle stuck in my arm 6 times to get my current CDC paper card. I want proper recognition for that. I would be even happier if they stuck a gold star on it.
I miss getting a lollipop. I'm off in about an hour to get my new booster, and I thought about stopping at the Starbucks a few doors down as a grown-up treat, but that would mean either waiting longer for my morning coffee or overcaffeinating.

Most of my friends in NY and DC have said they were told that they're not doing paper cards any longer. MD and NYS have digital QR code programs, though, MDMyIR and Excelsior respectively.

Last edited:
I got my shot on Wed and my arm is still sore day 3 which has not happened on any shot prior. I guess they hit a nerve ending that didn't like it or something?! Not intolerable or anything but seems odd. Assume it will sort itself eventually.

I got my shot on Wed and my arm is still sore day 3 which has not happened on any shot prior. I guess they hit a nerve ending that didn't like it or something?! Not intolerable or anything but seems odd. Assume it will sort itself eventually.
Similar here. Both fly and COVID shot arm/shoulder area sore. Flu for 2 days, COVID for 5 days and still slightly tender even a week later. Happened to my wife as well. We've never had that type of reaction. What we noticed is the shots were administered very high on the arm/shoulder area, different arms. Prior shots were always lower. We've come to the higher area being used as a possible reason. We both experienced some slight body aches next day, not our usual MO either. Not sure which would have been cause, or combo perhaps. All good now. FWIW, we didn't receive anything on our COVID cards with the new vaccine recorded.

We got our covid shots at Walgreens, and they gave each of us a coupon for $20.

Had a terrible sleep last night, so feel terrible today.. need a nap probably.

I put my fingers over my shoulder bones when holding my sleeve up, I think it helps to force the person to not inject too high.

The young girl that did mine, was so great at it, I didn't feel a thing.. I complemented her a couple of times as I've have nervous butchers doing the injection before..

Back
Top Bottom