Delayed Closed Captions

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We don't usually have the closed captioning on when watching the news, but sometimes if we can't figure out what someone said, we go back and watch with the captioning on.

I've found that the text is usually delayed from the speech by ten seconds or more.

Why can't they shift it so it lines up? Even if it's a live broadcast, they could delay the video for ten seconds.

I recall going to subtitled movies as a young guy....one character might talk for five minutes in, say, Italian....and the text would read "Yes".

Al, you have more pet peeves than anyone I know.
And wouldn't that have been a more appropriate thread to put this one?

I have the same issue. And sometimes the CC's are very badly translated by the machine that is doing the job. No human would make such stupid mistakes.

I have watched High Seas on Netflix (recommended by the way), and they have both English sub-titles and the dialog dubbed into English. Often the subtitles and the dubbed in English use different phraseology to say the same thing.

I also use CC occasionally... most of the time the timing is pretty good.... occasionally there is a significant lag.

Al, you have more pet peeves than anyone I know.
And wouldn't that have been a more appropriate thread to put this one?

I'm trying to avoid that thread because I read that it's not good to dwell on things that annoy you.

In this case, however, I'm not really peeved, I'm just curious about why they can't (or don't want to) fix that issue.

Not really peeved at the NBC explosion issue, I just thought it was curious that they added the sound.

Finally, I'm waiting on my editor to finish going over my next book, and testing out what it would be like to retire from writing. Apparently, I'd be doing a lot more posting here.

Finally, I'm waiting on my editor to finish going over my next book, and testing out what it would be like to retire from writing. Apparently, I'd be doing a lot more posting here.

Pull up a chair, Al. Can't wait for you to start a thread entitled "It was a dark and stormy night." :)

I have closed captions selected 'on', on my TV, due to my poor hearing. What annoys me is that whenever I can't make out a word or phrase, and I'm looking eagerly to the captions, to see what it was, the caption simply leaves it out completely, or reads 'inaudible'. Apparently the captioner couldn't understand it either! This only (I think) happens on live TV, fortunately.

Pull up a chair, Al. Can't wait for you to start a thread entitled "It was a dark and stormy night." :)

My avatar on writing forums:

6KpB9QA.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom