Does Facebook Offer Privacy?

Thanks, Nords--especially for the Horschack visual. And I *stay* invisible on FB, because I can't stand that chat feature.

I stay invisible in FB by not ever logging in. :D Seriously, the only reason I'm on there is to let friends I'm not in close contact with have a way to contact me if they don't have my email address. Like if somebody dies or something. I tried using it, but the noise to signal ratio is way too high.

Dang Harley, you mean you aren't reading my daily updates of what I had for breakfast? Filters on your newsfeed are what you need!

Easy, I have my friend list visible to my friends, mostly so they can more easily find one other (like relatives, for instance). I don't have it available to the universe.

One drawback of FB, too quick info. I was watching a close game of my favorite team on my Slingbox ("tape delayed" on my DVR). Peacefully timeshifting the game when I answered a question for someone on FB. So I go to my Wall and I see a post from my nephew, something like..."Great game....great victory! Yes!" Spoiler...at least the team I was cheering for won.

Dang Harley, you mean you aren't reading my daily updates of what I had for breakfast? Filters on your newsfeed are what you need!

Easy, I have my friend list visible to my friends, mostly so they can more easily find one other (like relatives, for instance). I don't have it available to the universe.

Okay, so here's my real-life example. I get a new sister-in-law about a year ago. I really don't know her that well and my brother that she is married to isn't always too resposible. So, when I went on FB, they saw I was on and requested to be my friend. So, OK..I add them.

Then about a week later, I get this email from her son-in-law who wants to be my friend. I really don't know him. My vibe says, I really don't know him (maybe met him briefly once) and the thought of having my friend list open for all friends to see. So, I've just ignored his request and have let it sit there. One one hand, want to be "social" (isn't that what FB is supposed to be about), yet at the same time...it's can be too open.

I guess I'm talking about the area between an acquaintance vs a friend.

Eh, I would ignore the request from the guy. He's probably a collector of people and doesn't really care one way or another. You can just mark the request ignored. I'm friends with my brother on FB but not in real life, for example, but he doesn't ever post anything so it isn't a bother.

Sarah,

Thanks for the second opinion ;) I'm gonna ignore him. As you said, he might be a collector.

I'm considering creating a "limited view" friend list. That way those on the border, I can put there and in the friend visibilty setting, block them from seeing my friend list.

Back
Top Bottom