Don't move to Florida?

I believe in Climate Change .. but this current government doesn’t .. Insurance in the coastal area is getting more and more expensive, because the hurricanes and tornadoes and flooding are getting stronger

The data used by NOAA and NASA says that both hurricanes and tornadoes are down. In fact, the US recently set a record for the longest time in its recorded history without a hurricane making landfall...a fact has been either overlooked or ignored.

I believe in Climate Change .. but this current government doesn’t .. Insurance in the coastal area is getting more and more expensive, because the hurricanes and tornadoes and flooding are getting stronger

Our place is just a couple of miles inland, and I’ve not seen any change in premiums for either wind or flood insurance for the past 6 years.

This link presents important facts. The system will be overhauled, and expect rate changes in 2020. Like everything else, who knows until the actual rates come in. I don't live in FL, so don't understand how flood rates really work. BTW, sea levels are rising all over the world. It all plays out with or or without people's opinions.

https://www.floridarealtors.org/NewsAndEvents/article.cfm?id=378324

In southern NJ, we once were at the bottom of an ocean. So the soil conditions and growth are similar to many areas in FL. We have seasons, and lots of humidity inland. So it's like FL, but with snow. The great flood to come will not hit us so much, as we are about 45 miles from the coastline. It's very possible that the Delaware River to our west will have greater impact when sea levels rise.

FL has a similar problem in the Gulf of Mexico. FL could end up predominantly keys. Of course this happens far enough in the future that most of us still sleep a few hours at night!

The data used by NOAA and NASA says that both hurricanes and tornadoes are down. In fact, the US recently set a record for the longest time in its recorded history without a hurricane making landfall...a fact has been either overlooked or ignored.
Do you have a source for that? I was not able to find an NOAA or NASA data page which presents that. Probably dues to my poor searching ability.

What I have found is that climate activity papers usually target specific areas. For example, the North Atlantic is different than the Atlantic area of FL. So current extreme weather plays out differently over longer periods of time.

I don't think climate change is anything new.....it's been happening for 4,000,000,000 years on this planet. :D

Do you have a source for that? I was not able to find an NOAA or NASA data page which presents that. Probably dues to my poor searching ability.

The information used to be readily available but no longer seems to be as easy to find. I did find NOAA information on tornadoes. The chart shows that severe ones are down, and NOAA also states that due to doppler radar and population growth there has been an reporting increase in lessor tornadoes over the years:

"With increased National Doppler radar coverage, increasing population, and greater attention to tornado reporting, there has been an increase in the number of tornado reports over the past several decades. This can create a misleading appearance of an increasing trend in tornado frequency.:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/climate-information/extreme-events/us-tornado-climatology/trends

The information used to be readily available but no longer seems to be as easy to find. I did find NOAA information on tornadoes. The chart shows that severe ones are down, and NOAA also states that due to doppler radar and population growth there has been an reporting increase in lessor tornadoes over the years:

"With increased National Doppler radar coverage, increasing population, and greater attention to tornado reporting, there has been an increase in the number of tornado reports over the past several decades. This can create a misleading appearance of an increasing trend in tornado frequency.:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/climate-information/extreme-events/us-tornado-climatology/trends
Thanks for providing. The data goes from 1954 through 2014. I also saw that data once available at a click, is no longer readily available.

Here is another page I found with a longer historical database, and goes to 2017. There are graphics there which are available by clicking on column heading.
https://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E11.html

Our place is just a couple of miles inland, and I’ve not seen any change in premiums for either wind or flood insurance for the past 6 years.

We are a healthy walk from the beach and they recently changed our zone from AE to X. Insurance have been the same for the last 10 years.

Yes I do think Climate change is creeping up on us, and a responsible populus should recognize and mitigate it as best they can. Climate Change is also causing changes all over the country and the world. I really do not think it will be disastrous in my lifetime, but I do feel for those with Children, Grand Children and Great Grandchildren.

There will continue to be migration, upsetting a number of folks in the receiving areas. If you see a lot of empty dry land around you, expect new neighbors. Will they like your Apple Pie?

That is technically correct, but it is for the 2005-2016 time period (12 years with no major hurricane making landfall in the USA is a long time by historical standards). However, since that time, we have had Harvey, Irma, and Michael..........all major, catastrophic hurricanes making USA landfall. Also, if you look at the occurrence of all North Atlantic hurricanes since 1980 (and not just those making US landfall), the intensity, frequency, and duration of hurricanes, as well as the frequency of the strongest hurricanes, have all increased over that time period. So, things appear to be changing. All the climate models predict that climate change, though it may not lead to a greater number of tropical cyclones overall, will make those that do occur more intense.

Here is one good source of information for climate change data (including sea level rise): https://nca2014.globalchange.gov/report/our-changing-climate/changes-hurricanes

There will continue to be migration, upsetting a number of folks in the receiving areas. If you see a lot of empty dry land around you, expect new neighbors. Will they like your Apple Pie?

This can happen on a local level as well. Long-time residents complained when our development was put in over 20 years ago. Strangely, my next-door neighbor complained when they starting putting more streets and houses in. She really thought the rest of the empty farm field was going to just stay empty. :facepalm:

Right now we have a construction boom going on in our county, residential developments, retail, and business. I'm OK with it, but I was born and raised in a big city. People who've lived here since most of the county was rural, hate it. They want this area to stay country and it's rapidly being transformed into a place where they don't want to be.

Sea level rise is a slow, unstoppable process, not a sudden catastrophic event. Exodus from affected property areas will begin before the level of damage is significant, and property values will probably spiral down is a slow, torturous process. Property owners will lose, as will children of Florida coastal homeowners hoping for real estate based inheritance.

Can't the people of Florida migrate to the higher mountainous areas of the state? I would think that at 500 or 1000 feet elevation, they would still be much warmer than Minnesota in the Winter. Or has all the mountain resort property already been bought up?

Can't the people of Florida migrate to the higher mountainous areas of the state? I would think that at 500 or 1000 feet elevation, they would still be much warmer than Minnesota in the Winter. Or has all the mountain resort property already been bought up?

Inland FLA weather is Brutal! Plus it is not much higher elevation really. There are some high spots but not that many.

Great idea! Unfortunately the highest elevation in the entire state is 345 Ft.

We bought our second home in Florida 3 years ago (the first home in Oregon) - in the process we sold the first home and bought a condo/townhouse in Oregon. In general, we are happy with the decision to snowbird in Florida.

However, if I get to do it again, I would buy a condo/townhouse in Florida instead of selling house and buying condo in Oregon.

Great idea! Unfortunately the highest elevation in the entire state is 345 Ft.

And some of those are landfills. At the rate they’re growing, the 1000 foot mark will be achieved.

Are you referring to the bridges over the Intracoastal Waterway? Or Mount Trashmore, in Broward County?:D

It's hard to imagine how many trips to Florida I've made since 1964--when Daytona Beach was the happening place with all the Beach Boy music. When working, I spent 5 weeks a year for work in Florida. I have been to places seldom seen--virgin mangroves that looks just like it did in the 1500's.

I always wondered where Floridians went on vacation? Well, the answer is The North Georgia mountains and places like Highlands/Cashiers, North Carolina. Those mountains have 1/3 of the license plates from Florida.

We long ago decided to also keep a place in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and bypass living in Florida and the Gulf Coast--where so many of our friends have homes.

Last edited:
There will continue to be migration, upsetting a number of folks in the receiving areas. If you see a lot of empty dry land around you, expect new neighbors.

Yep, absolutely true. That is why we bought a house with mostly wet, unbuildable land around us. Sure, it will flood on occasion, but we're 12 feet off the ground, so I'll take my chances with floods rather than crowds of new neighbors........

All the climate models predict that climate change, though it may not lead to a greater number of tropical cyclones overall, will make those that do occur more intense.

We don't know that. All of the climate models have been horrendously inaccurate, virtually all of them (in excess of 99%) predicting temperature rises that have not happened. Why trust them to predict intensity if they can't even get the temperature right? And then there are the hundreds of "adjustments" of temperature data mostly (conveniently) cooling the past and warming the recent years, and the urban heat index factor which has affected many of the weather stations.

There are too many factors involved in climate that are not understood and no one can predict the future with accuracy. In addition the funding flows at virtually 100% to one side of the debate so there's little incentive to go against the grain.

Anyway, I'll bow out of this discussion now as people are either on one side or the other and rarely change their mind.

Yep, absolutely true. That is why we bought a house with mostly wet, unbuildable land around us. Sure, it will flood on occasion, but we're 12 feet off the ground, so I'll take my chances with floods rather than crowds of new neighbors........

With 12 feet beneath you, sea level rise and local flooding may still bring problems, but at least your stuff will be dry. :)

Back
Top Bottom