Don't move to Florida?

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Law of Driving Equilibrium that is seriously enforced throughout Florida. For every elderly person who drives an ancient luxury car too slow, a young person is obliged to drive a pickup truck like a maniac to maintain balance.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Law of Driving Equilibrium that is seriously enforced throughout Florida. For every elderly person who drives an ancient luxury car too slow, a young person is obliged to drive a pickup truck like a maniac to maintain balance.

Plus the Law of Reversalism in Florida is actively encouraged. If you have grey hair (even if you color it), you have the God Given Right to back up your car without looking. It's important to practice as often as possible.

Last edited:
Plus the Law of Reversalism in Florida is actively encouraged. If you have grey hair (even if you color it), you have the God Given Right to back up your car without looking. It's important to practice as often as possible.

AND, if you are over 75 you can drive backwards on any freeway. (Not Toll roads or other roads, you have to be over 85 to do that).

I did my first ever snowbird winter this last year, in Florida. A "bad" day was when it started out at 46F and warmed up to 62F... I'm back home in NY State now. June 3....guess what? Woke up this morning and it was 46F, with a 20mph wind, and it's supposed to warm up to 62F.

I really enjoyed Jan-March in Florida, and will be there Dec-March next winter, and if DW would allow it, most of April as well....as far as owning a home there, or moving there year round, not for me. But I met a lot of folks who have, and do, and love it just fine. They call me a "clogger", because I just show up and get in the way. But we are friends all the same.

I have many reasons for not wanting to own in Florida, and only a few of them are unique to Florida's situation. One thing that I am ill at ease with is the severe weather threat, and what I strongly suspect is underfunded insurance. I'm not just concerned about the coastal areas, but inland as well should we get a year with several hurricanes making a landfall and then spawning tornados inland. It may never happen the way I envision it, but I wouldn't want to be a part of it if it does.

I tried that but the darn car kept beeping at me.

Plus the Law of Reversalism in Florida is actively encouraged. If you have grey hair (even if you color it), you have the God Given Right to back up your car without looking. .

Maybe I'm just getting old, but over my lifetime I've been warned about Communists, nuclear war, over population, running out of oil, running out of food, nuclear power plants, global cooling, global warming, acid rain, the Japanese buying up all of the US, the Saudis buying up all the US, Y2K and global financial collapse among just a few "end of the world as we know it" apocalypses. (oh! and the end of SS)

I just can't get worked up about this stuff anymore.

I'm living the same life, doing the same things and going to the same places that I have for my entire 67 years. Not much has changed in my day-to-day as far as I can see.

Hey that's my line.

Amen brother. [mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I watched two white Mercedes SUVs back into each other in a parking lot (drivers did not appear to be senior citizens). Today I am listening to gentle surf. Tomorrow we drive northwest for a couple of days. Will miss this view.

Attachments

• ECE59B04-AEBD-4D74-BB2A-255BE05D5E72.jpg
    ECE59B04-AEBD-4D74-BB2A-255BE05D5E72.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 28
The first year my dad was retired (snowbirding) in Florida I was riding along with him in his car with Ohio plates when we got passed on the Tamiami Trail by a local in a pickup. He waved his middle finger at us, and yelled "F-YOU you EFFING Yankee ***hole!!" To which my dad replied to me "I hate it when they call me a Yankee"...

When it comes to driving, Florida has achieved the gold standard in equality. Everyone drives poorly. Old, young, men, women, immigrants, tourists, locals, wealthy, low income, pick-ups, Prius & Maserati's, and all the others.

Driving in Florida is as bad as it gets in the US (Atlanta comes close).

This really is becoming a competitive thread to REW’s Texas list. Methinks y’all protest too much.

^^^^ Wow! So, what are the good things about living in Florida, besides the alligators, roaches, heat, humidity, destructive storms, over crowded, crime and murders etc.??

I got the same question from friends in Portland OR :) - To me it is more like a break from extended family (relatives, kids) for about half of the year or so, enjoy the nice warm weather in the winter, the beach, the East coast.

Attachments

• IMG_7148.jpg
    IMG_7148.jpg
    659 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

All kidding aside, most of the accidents I have seen in FLA are the youngins, not the ancient.

In the interest of full disclosure.

What about the TERMITES! We forgot to mention those. They eat your home in record time these days and are the size of roaches.

Our Florida Immigration policy also obviously needs reform, there should be better requirements for entry and residency. I am all for a points system, total Net Worth, health report, Police & FBI Background checks and an IQ test. We only want the best of geriatrics here. The rest of them should go to Alabama, they will take anyone there, and I hear it is even cheaper.

Last edited:
I took that test online. Despite being born in the U.S., I did not have quite enough points to pass. I hope I'm not asked to leave :D

That was prior to the proposed immigration reform. Obviously the same entry tests will go for the young and newly weds.

^^^^ Wow! So, what are the good things about living in Florida, besides the alligators, roaches, heat, humidity, destructive storms, over crowded, crime and murders etc.??

Waving goodbye to all the snowbirds, tourists and company when they leave.

And it has the highest rate of uninsured motorists:facepalm:
If Florida has that many uninsured motorists, no wonder the UM coverage is so high. i just got a quote - one rider for two cars, stackable, was $380. per 6 months.
Your umbrella policy should have a good UM/UIM coverage....
I think umbrella liability coverage doesn't work that way. For UM, at least in Florida, you need a rider on your auto policy.

Too late. Probably y'all made up hurricanes too. We're still coming.
Let me be the first to welcome you to Florida. It's my permanent residence, and my posts are supportive of tourism and people moving in. :greetings10:

The hurricanes are real. Not frequent, but nasty, and everybody gets crazy. That is, crazier than usual. :)

I am one of the people who would love to move to Florida, but AM worried about climate change. I can foresee all sorts of ripple effects - e.g. rising taxes required to "harden" infrastructure, raise roads, repair flooding areas.

You will see more dramatic climate change in your lifetime based on the movement of the North and South Poles before you see climate change based on CO2 emissions.

Back
Top Bottom