Dow over 28,000!

Maybe we should now change the title to: Will the the DOW be over 28000 by the end of the year? :)

We never had a thread to commemorate a water mark of the market on the way down. If the Dow drops again today, anybody wants to start a thread on "Dow 27,000"?

It just feels wrong. Totally "unpatriotic". :)

Dang!

On the bottom of the screen is the message: "This Thread is more than 4423 days old."

My "superior" memory is fading.

We never had a thread to commemorate a water mark of the market on the way down. If the Dow drops again today, anybody wants to start a thread on "Dow 27,000"?

It just feels wrong. Totally "unpatriotic". :)

Just replace the exclamation point with a question mark.

^^^ I don't think anyone will question whether the Dow will see 28,000 again.

If it never gets back there, our goose is cooked. We would have to worry about more things than the Dow.

^ true on both accounts. We all know the day of reckoning is coming but the really question is how long we stay in the cellar.

When we are sure there are no zombies roaming the streets? :)

I'm looking forward to 1,000,000 DOW... by my rough maths, should only be around 42 years away... give or take a decade :dance::D

(that is, if we don't destroy ourselves before then :popcorn:)

The question I ask "when is it time to buy?" Maybe yesterday?

If you are to sell today, yes.

If you hold till tomorrow, then the answer will have to wait till tomorrow. :)

PS. Should have said "sell today, as of this moment".

The market was gun ho early in the day, but is now in the red.

Last edited:
If you are to sell today, yes.

If you hold till tomorrow, then the answer will have to wait till tomorrow. :)

PS. Should have said "sell today, as of this moment".

The market was gun ho early in the day, but is now in the red.

HAHAHA look at you dirty 'ol market timers. I bought in Monday with DWs 401k contribution...who wants to bet the markets rise back before my Friday contribution of 29% of my paycheck clears Schwab... :facepalm:

There will be no buying from me until CEOs line up on CNBC interviews telling what effects the virus has on their business. No catching falling knives from me. I will wait to pick up the knives when they safely rest on the ground.

But it is not wrong for people still in accumulation phase to buy now. When you reach retirement, you will be glad you bought.

I’m probably not the only one who was thinking “this steady move up day after day can’t go on forever”.

I base the allocation of my retirement portfolio on a Vanguard target date fund. They recently published updated allocations and the bond portion inched up a bit as you’d expect. So the new, more conservative, allocation means the market movements keep me within my rebalance band.

It’ll be interesting to see where things are at the end of Q1 2020!

Last edited:
I’m probably not the only one who was thinking “this steady move up day after day can’t go on forever”...

I thought so too. And that's why I steadily lowered my stock AA from 80% in mid-2019 to 60% now.

When this virus thing broke, I should have lowered it even more, to 50% or 40% perhaps. Being greedy, I still try to squeeze a bit more with some option trading instead of selling outright. It's also a fun thing to do.

Last edited:
Wow, what a plunge! We even broke 26,000 for a minute, and might go back under.

If it is just a correction, it is not a big deal. We have been anticipating that for a while.

I am thinking more of a bear market (20% drop).

I sold last fall wanting a cash cushion of a couple of years. DS held off buying in his Roth IRA because the market high didn’t make much sense. Looks like a buying opportunity coming his way.

I think this might be the beginnings of the plunge we had all been expecting from the stock market eventually. Correction? Bear market? I wonder what is in our future. I feel like it might drop considerably farther, although I honestly do not know. My crystal ball is sitting up there on my mantel, just ten feet away from me, collecting dust.

If the downwards trend continues, then I am SO GLAD that I let myself be happy about the Dow rising over 29,000 points, and having more in my portfolio plus bank accounts than ever. For me, my all time high was on Valentine's Day, Feb 14th (because on the 15th the payment for my new Lazy Boy recliner went through). Anyway, the fact that the market did go up back then, gives us more "wiggle room" while the market drops.

At/near the first of every month I record the Dow and my own portfolio total on one of my Excel spreadsheets so that I can see long term trends more easily. A year ago, on March 1st, the Dow was just 26,026. And, I was amazed at how high it was, at the time. It's so easy to forget.

For me, my all time high was on Valentine's Day, Feb 14th

WKOYJ3WBGKOFFAHYQNVUKOJPYU.jpg

All time high for me was 02/19.
Still only 4% off the all time high.
Besides taking 5.5% off the table last Thursday, I am sitting still.

I have some dry powder for an opportune time, not a lot but some. I'm waiting for another 10% drop before buying. I think it can happen considering that Goldman Sachs just said the US companies will have zero profit growth this year. It's the FUD that the market reacts to.

CNBC said this morning, before market even opened, that this week is on track to be the worst since ...

October 2008.

Back
Top Bottom