Electric Vehicles - Models Discussion

Did Chevy stop the offer to install a 220 outlet for free? This was a nice bonus when we got ours.
Looks like it is still offering it...
https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/living-electric/home-charging-installation

Yes. I'll see if they will install the 240 V line for what they say ($1,000). Most of these installers say the install is special and charge in excess of the funded amount.

Yes, I'm planning on taking the 30% tax credit on the purchase price of my Emporia charger when I file my 2023 taxes.

I wonder if that 30% tax credit available to take even with me taking the $7500 tax credit on my new Bolt this year?

I wonder if that 30% tax credit available to take even with me taking the $7500 tax credit on my new Bolt this year?
Don't know but in the many discussions of the $7500 tax credit on three different Bolt groups I've not seen any mention of any restrictions on taking it and any of the other tax credit provisions of the IRAct.

Don't know but in the many discussions of the $7500 tax credit on three different Bolt groups I've not seen any mention of any restrictions on taking it and any of the other tax credit provisions of the IRAct.

I just poked around too, and can't find any information one way or the other. Not a big deal though, but a credit is a credit. :cool:

Not sure I’m following. I would expect EV service/repairs will slowly become more common as EV adoption continues. ICE service volume will decline *, so why not pick up EV business **?

OTOH Every indication is EVs require significantly less maintenance, so auto services will face slow disruption. So it would not surprise me if legacy dealers aggressively try to keep EV services in house to bolster declining ICE service revenue. Private shops could suffer?

*No I’m not saying ICE will fall off a cliff, but gradually.
**No, I’m not saying it won’t require new equipment, techniques to service EVs.

Curious, how does an EV not need power steering? To my knowledge, gasoline is not used to assist the front wheels to turn.

Curious, how does an EV not need power steering? To my knowledge, gasoline is not used to assist the front wheels to turn.

Most new cars have electric power steering drives. No more hydraulic pumps (EV or ICE)

EVs still have drive axles, CV joints, an oil-filled gear reduction unit (small), complete suspension systems (tie rods, ball joints, A-frames, bearings, etc). The Tesla inverter/gear unit has an oil filter.

Last edited:
Most new cars have electric power steering drives. No more hydraulic pumps.

So minor point then, that maintenance item should be removed from the list in both ICE and EV cars.

Most new cars have electric power steering drives. No more hydraulic pumps (EV or ICE)

EVs still have drive axles, CV joints, an oil-filled gear reduction unit (small), complete suspension systems (tie rods, ball joints, A-frames, bearings, etc). The Tesla inverter/gear unit has an oil filter.

Many EVs have a coolant system for the battery. The ones that are air-cooled are said to have short-lived batteries.

And EVs still use refrigerant for the AC.

About ICE mufflers in the list, here in the dry SW, they typically last as long as the rest of the car.

Many EVs have a coolant system for the battery. The ones that are air-cooled are said to have short-lived batteries.

And EVs still use refrigerant for the AC.

About ICE mufflers in the list, here in the dry SW, they typically last as long as the rest of the car.

I haven't changed a muffler on any of my cars (many of them) in 50 years. Most are zinc coated or some alloy of stainless steel.

Our 2018 Ford van with a 3.5L turbo was bought new for $31,500 in 2019 and sold in 2022 for $32,000 with 27,000 miles on it.

Over that 3 year period we had $270 in total maintenance, including wiper blades and 4 oil changes.

Now it may be that they topped off the wiper fluid and put air in the tires during the oil change but that was all considered one service.

VinFast stock, anyone?

From a high of 37 on Tues when it debuted on the Nasdaq, it dropped as low as 12 earlier today. It should be in the low single digits, i.e. less than 5, in order for the company valuation to be on par with other minor EV makers, e.g. less than $10 billion.

Last edited:
The attachment noted Tesla, not EVs. No Tesla has hydraulic steering.

Most ICE cars do not have hydraulic power steering anymore, but a few still do.

What does gasoline have to do with it? It's just a comparison of typical maintenance.

Last edited:
Question on car insurance for an EV.

I haven't picked up my Bolt yet (next week) and haven't called my insurance agent yet (Monday).

Anyone care to share their experience with the cost of insuring an EV (full coverage). I suspect collision and comprehensive would be higher, but have no idea of the magnitude.

Not sure I’m following. I would expect EV service/repairs will slowly become more common as EV adoption continues. ICE service volume will decline *, so why not pick up EV business **?

OTOH Every indication is EVs require significantly less maintenance, so auto services will face slow disruption. So it would not surprise me if legacy dealers aggressively try to keep EV services in house to bolster declining ICE service revenue. Private shops could suffer?

*No I’m not saying ICE will fall off a cliff, but gradually.
**No, I’m not saying it won’t require new equipment, techniques to service EVs.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'm not trying to start anything controversial here. I'm not talking about ICE vs. EV. I'm not talking about EVs having less maintenance.

I'm just talking about "Right To Repair".

This is a problem for both ICE and EV. It is all about the proprietary information and equipment required to service these vehicles.

What I'm saying is it already has started with ICE. Latest model ICE cars have gotten very complex. Take a windshield as an example. Both ICE and EVs have those. No controversy. In recent years, it is very hard to get a windshield replaced without a trip to the dealer due to disruption in the various electronic monitoring devices.

NADA is fine with this. Independent shops are not. As consumers, we would benefit from healthy competition for repairs. If everything becomes proprietary, it will be bad news for the consumer.

Back to topic of models. Consumers should also research their options for vehicle service beyond the warranty period when looking for a vehicle. Things will go wrong. A/C will stop working. Electronic gremlins will appear. Accident damage will happen. And so on. Right now, we don't have a lot of information since the market is so new. It is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited:
Anyone care to share their experience with the cost of insuring an EV (full coverage). I suspect collision and comprehensive would be higher, but have no idea of the magnitude.

Since auto insurance is so location and individual specific I'm not sure how meaningful this is, but...

Compared to my more expensive hybrid SUV, collision for my EUV is 10% higher and comprehensive is 37% lower.

I am surprised by the difference in comprehensive premium, but I suppose having zero risk of theft of a catalytic converter does have something to do with it.

... Back to topic of models. Consumers should also research their options for vehicle service beyond the warranty period when looking for a vehicle. Things will go wrong. A/C will stop working. Electronic gremlins will appear. Accident damage will happen. And so on. Right now, we don't have a lot of information since the market is so new. It is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Ugh. Talk about electronics gremlins, I remember my parents Chrysler Voyager. While I had reasonable luck with my 1st generation minivan, they had a heck of a time with their later model. The engine would die at the most critical time, such as making a left turn. They brought their car to the dealer numerous times, just to be told there was nothing wrong that could be found. Ugh!

People are excited about cars loaded with electronics, but I don't share the same enthusiasm, despite being an EE. Perhaps it's because I worked in aerospace, where more caution is exercised in applying "wonderful new things".

I haven't picked up my Bolt yet (next week) and haven't called my insurance agent yet (Monday).

Different country of course but when I informed my insurance company of the change in vehicle from a Prius to a Leaf there was no change in premium.

Thanks for the recommendation. Can you use the Tesla charger with a non Tesla vehicle (ie. J1772 connector) with an included adapter? Or would you have to get a separate adapter? (after I wrote this, I noticed your post that you CAN use a J1772 connection).

Sorry for the late response. I guess you've figured it out. The adapter is included so it is ready to go with Tesla or J1772 vehicles.

People are excited about cars loaded with electronics, but I don't share the same enthusiasm, despite being an EE. Perhaps it's because I worked in aerospace, where more caution is exercised in applying "wonderful new things".
Exactly.

It is an extremely harsh environment. Vibrations. Heat. Cold. And so on.

There are so many gadgets. I read a lot of auto forums for all makes, and so many of these features have issues among the many different makes. It is great to have all these bells and whistles, if they actually work...

About 10 years ago, my insurance provider offered a 10% discount on alternative fueled vehicles. More recently, I switched to Tesla insurance and saved a bit more than 50%. I'm paying $250/month for a 2018 Model 3 and a 2022 Model X. It's been almost a year, so hopefully the rates stay low.

Thanks all for the replies on insurance costs. I guell I'll find out Monday as it looks to be location specific.

About 10 years ago, my insurance provider offered a 10% discount on alternative fueled vehicles. More recently, I switched to Tesla insurance and saved a bit more than 50%. I'm paying $250/month for a 2018 Model 3 and a 2022 Model X. It's been almost a year, so hopefully the rates stay low.

I pay £203/year on my Leaf. ($254)

Back
Top Bottom