Electric Vehicles - Models Discussion

The poster DID just ask, in all fairness.

Thanks, he is a fairly recent Tesla owner, so I can understand his exuberance, but more choices keep coming out and first hand owner experience would be beneficial to those contemplating an EV in their future.

I'm trying to decide how much charging speed and range matter to me. I expect to use it mostly locally, but I like to visit my friends up in NYC, and if I had a nicer, newer car I might want to use it instead of taking the train. My friends are out in Queens and Nassau counties, so I could probably get there and park without too much trouble...at least, for someone who learned to drive in the outer boroughs!

I've been considering the Nissan Leaf, Bolt EUV, Kia Nero EV, Hyundai Iconiq....I have about $42K set aside, but it's hard to pull the trigger when I don't really need to drive that often. I'd like to get it fully loaded, as I expect to drive it for 15+ years -- especially since the main limiting factor is the life of the batteries, since the electric drive requires so little maintenance compared to an ICE. I love adaptive cruise control, and I'd like to have Android Auto, as I prefer my phone's Google Maps to any built-in GPS system I've seen.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide how much charging speed and range matter to me. I expect to use it mostly locally, but I like to visit my friends up in NYC, and if I had a nicer, newer car I might want to use it instead of taking the train. My friends are out in Queens and Nassau counties, so I could probably get there and park without too much trouble...at least, for someone who learned to drive in the outer boroughs!

I've been considering the Nissan Leaf, Bolt EUV, Kia Nero EV, Hyundai Iconiq....I have about $42K set aside, but it's hard to pull the trigger when I don't really need to drive that often. I'd like to get it fully loaded, as I expect to drive it for 15+ years -- especially since the main limiting factor is the life of the batteries, since the electric drive requires so little maintenance compared to an ICE. I love adaptive cruise control, and I'd like to have Android Auto, as I prefer my phone's Google Maps to any built-in GPS system I've seen.

My friend's new Bolt has all those features and then some (heated and cooled seats, fake leather, sunroof, Android Auto, etc). I think that's the best bang for your buck and having many dealer service departments around is better than Tesla call in service.

My friend's new Bolt has all those features and then some (heated and cooled seats, fake leather, sunroof, Android Auto, etc). I think that's the best bang for your buck and having many dealer service departments around is better than Tesla call in service.

As a Bolt EUV owner, I agree with the above - with one minor clarification regarding fake leather. The steering wheel cover is real leather as is the trim on the ventilated seats. Not sure about the material used for the actual ventilated portion of the seats.

Last edited:
He did not say Tesla only, and then you seemed to take exception to my asking about other manufacturers, sheesh.

I would like to hear experiences about others, specifically EV SUV. Some that come to mind are Audi eTron, Mustang (kind of quasi SUV/Car), Mercedes, Jaguar, Hyundai, etc. Personally, I am interested in seating comfort and something that does not have an interior that looks too utilitarian. How is the ride quality, handling, insulation from outside noise, display, features, storage and of course charging/mileage experience. Yes, I can research online from car sites and manufacturers websites, but hearing real world from folks on this forum is usually a good thing.

I have (since Oct '22) the BMW IX xdrive50, a mid-size, although a large mid-size SUV. The only three on the road that advertised range >300 miles were the IX, Mercedes EQS and the Tesla X. We were unable to test drive the X as none of the local showrooms had them available and we would have had to rent one. So it was between the EQS and IX. We ordered both and whichever one came through first :LOL:.

Love the IX. It has all the bells and whistles except for the upgraded sound system, leather seats and multi-function seats. MSRP was $83K and with our add-ons, it came to $93K. The car handles beautifully. I can now easily parallel park with 4 wheel steering :LOL:. The advertised range is 324 miles, however, I get only about 275 in 'winter' driving in SF Bay Area. Mostly local with very little freeway driving. Lots of downhill/uphill to get anywhere. Will have to see what it does now that it's summer.

I wish I had the multi-function seats as I have some back issues and would have loved real lumbar support and massage instead of the itty bitty pillow I keep in the car. Others riding in the car have remarked how comfortable and roomy the car is, especially in the back seat with the front seats pushed all the way back. The IX handles beautifully. Coming from the Acura RDX, the handling and ride quality are 100% better. DH has a Lexus 350 sedan and his ride quality was better than the Acura's. The IX's ride quality is much better than the Lexus'.

While outside noise is to be expected, it is much less than both the Acura's and the Lexus' when they were new. I distinctly recall this as I complained and had both cars in for service because I did not like the noise level. The IX even offers iconic sounds, although both DH and I prefer the 'natural' sounds of a car.

Storage is fabulous. Much more roomy as well as larger trunk storage. There is no frunk. There is a small storage area under the trunk mat which allows for those small odds and ends like cables and such.

There are stalks for windshield wipers and turn signals. Everything else is through the display, although there are buttons for defrost, basic lights (on and auto and hazard). There are a few buttons on the steering wheel as well as on the console. The one I use all the time is the 360 camera on the console.

My one complaint is the software. As mentioned in another forum, Tesla is a software company that builds cars, all the other manufactures build cars with software as a side hustle. That explains it well. Most of the time it works, sometimes it doesn't. The display is not that intuitive and takes some time to learn. I haven't even begun to understand and learn all it's capabilities. Not having experience with other cars, they have a great app which we use all the time. My favorite feature is 'where's my car'. It will walk you to the car if you forget where you parked it :dance:.

The other main downside is it's not a Tesla and we won't be taking it on road trips because of the frustrations with non-Tesla charging infrastructure. We are in the process of upgrading DH's 2017 Lexus to a current model because of all the bells and whistles in the new cars as well as having a road trip car. The two most important features being the 360 camera as well as carplay. He loves his Lexus but has decided to either get the equivalent BMW ICE sedan as the 2024 model will have the same infotainment system and features (I'm told, will have to wait and see). The other candidate is the Tesla Y long range. We are waiting for HW4 availability and will test drive on an overnighter at that time.

Hope this helps in your research.

As a Bolt EUV owner, I agree with the above - with one minor clarification regarding fake leather. The steering wheel cover is real leather as is the trim on the ventilated seats. Not sure about the material used for the actual ventilated portion of the seats.

I think the ventilated seat material is commonly called "pleather" which is a synthetic material.

What is Pleather?

A combination of the words “plastic” and “leather,” pleather is a synthetic fabric that is designed to look and feel like real leather. Utilizing plastic made from either PVC or polyurethane, it is molded and textured to mimic leather and then attached to a fabric backing for easy application to a wide variety of products. While there are many different types of pleather designed for specific uses and made from other materials, such as cork tree bark and kelp, they are usually referred to as either pleather or faux leather. Other common names include:

Vegan Leather
Imitation Leather
Synthetic Leather
Vinyl Leather
Leatherette
PU Leather

Where is Pleather Used?

Anywhere leather is used, pleather can be used as a substitute. Pleather is used in clothing, furniture upholstery, car seats (and seat covers), laptop cases, footwear, belts, purses, wallets, and much more. Pleather is preferred by manufacturers, in many cases, because it is less expensive, easier to use, and more versatile than leather.

Just my guess without further verification.:)

Nice video walk through of the Volvo EX30 available on YouTube. That’s one I’ll definitely be considering. We’ve had good experiences with a couple of their old wagons years ago and DW absolutely loves her XC90.

Main things I'm wary about is how large the interior would be or whether it would feel cramped and what the prices are going to be, because there will probably be a lot of demand for them.

Also Volvo is now owned by a Chinese company so it remains to be seen if they maintain the quality that the old brand earned.

My friend has a new Bolt. I have driven it and it's really nice. He got the "loaded" version (all options) and he paid around $37K. Very nice vehicle but the range is around 250 miles on the best day.

Did you see my earlier post about the recent Consumer Report testing of actual ranges of more expensive EVs?

You can pay a lot more, but don't get much better actual range. The state of the art in batteries only goes so far. Gold-plated batteries don't have more storage capacities. :)

Buyer beware. Heh heh heh...

Last edited:
There have been some recent articles about some EV inventory piling up at dealers. On closer analysis, it's mostly higher priced EVs that aren't moving that well, as one might expect.

The German models are all approaching or over $100k for their SUV EVs.

BMW has produced EV versions of the X3 and the X1 but haven't sold them in the US. The EV X3 was like the equivalent of $70k so that's at least a $20k premium depending on whether it was RWD or AWD, various options.

Consumer Reports just tested the range of 4 EVs. While it is no surprise that they all suffered range reduction in cold climate, some degraded more than others (down to 57% of EPA range).

On the other hand, some even exceeded their EPA range by a little when it was warm, despite the use of AC (80F and humid).

It would be interesting to see more EVs tested this way. It took CR a year to test in different weathers.

It turned out that the 4 tested EVs don't differ that much in their range in real life, despite their EPA advertised ranges. I like that, as it shows it's a competitive industry.

Reference for full text: https://www.consumerreports.org/car...e-affects-electric-vehicle-range-a4873569949/

10965-albums220-picture2828.png
Interesting that Tesla is the one whose EPA estimate is furthest off from real life results. Looks like Tesla may have cheated: https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/re...r-range-results-and-gaslit-its-customers.html

Did you see my earlier post about the recent Consumer Report testing of actual ranges of more expensive EVs?

You can pay a lot more, but don't get much better actual range. The state of the art in batteries only goes so far. Gold-plated batteries don't have more storage capacities. :)

Buyer beware. Heh heh heh...

Yes, I saw it. The Bolt is pretty good, range wise, and it's a decent small SUV. I could easily own one of these. My friend loves his for driving around town and they have a newer Volvo for long trips.

I see the EV thread is (hopefully temporarily) closed, and I had some good questions about trying to take a long trip. I'll save the details for that thread should it open some day.

To be comfortable, we need a range of 400 miles to take our typical 2 times per year long 850 mile trip. However, we can uncomfortably make the trip on 250 miles.

So keeping it within the topic "Models Discussion", what model/brand of EV that is below $45k and gets a range of 250 miles or more exists? Are there ones?

I was looking at this source, and it seems like 250+ is pricey brands, although the Bolt may qualify on a good day. Or maybe this is a bad source?

https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791/ev-range-test-results/

I see the EV thread is (hopefully temporarily) closed, and I had some good questions about trying to take a long trip. I'll save the details for that thread should it open some day.

To be comfortable, we need a range of 400 miles to take our typical 2 times per year long 850 mile trip. However, we can uncomfortably make the trip on 250 miles.

So keeping it within the topic "Models Discussion", what model/brand of EV that is below $45k and gets a range of 250 miles or more exists? Are there ones?

I was looking at this source, and it seems like 250+ is pricey brands, although the Bolt may qualify on a good day. Or maybe this is a bad source?

My bold above.

The Bolt is in that neighborhood (250 miles, well under $45K).

... what model/brand of EV that is below $45k and gets a range of 250 miles or more exists? Are there ones?

I read that the Porsche Taycan far exceeds its EPA range, and just saw the actual numbers in the above link. EPA 225 mi. Actual 305 mi. Weird. What's happening here? German engineers did not know how to test their cars?

Bill Gates had a Taycan. I like the look of the car, but can only drive SUVs with a higher seat. So, no Taycan for me.

Last edited:
The Tesla Model Y long range is $50,490 minus $7500 tax credit. I think their real world mileage meets the 250 limit, or close if you don't run it way down.

When using the superchargers, I think charging less but more frequently minimizes time on charger.

The model 3 long range is $47,240 minus $7500.

Last edited:
My bold above.

The Bolt is in that neighborhood (250 miles, well under $45K).
This looks to be the best fit so far. Glad GM didn't give up on it.

I read that the Porsche Taycan far exceeds its EPA range, and just saw the actual numbers in the above link. EPA 225 mi. Actual 305 mi. Weird. What's happening here? German engineers did not know how to test their cars?

Bill Gates had a Taycan. I like the look of the car, but can only drive SUVs with a higher seat. So, no Taycan for me.
Too expensive.

The Tesla Model Y long range is $50,490 minus $7500 tax credit. I think their real world mileage meets the 250 limit, or close if you don't run it way down.

When using the superchargers, I think charging less but more frequently minimizes time on charger.

The model 3 long range is $47,240 minus $7500.
A little pricey. I said $45k, but really I'd like below $40k. DW wants below $30k.

I am specifically looking for few stops.

I don't want to get into the debate on long trips and what it takes. That's the other thread. Suffice it to say I think I could make a Bolt work with pain since 250 miles is a bit short and the car is small. But, I can make it work. I'd just bring aspirin for the pain.

Ultimately, we'll probably still wait on an EV as charging and range improves and use the carbon belcher for long trips with possibly buying an EV for in town.

Last edited:
My friend has a new Bolt. I have driven it and it's really nice. He got the "loaded" version (all options) and he paid around $37K. Very nice vehicle but the range is around 250 miles on the best day.

I have a Bolt EUV, rated at 247 mile range. The range is really a function of the type of driving you do. I do mostly city driving and I've always exceeded the 250 mile range. When I charge it up to 80%, it says my "average/expected" range is about 250 miles at that charge level. I do agree with you though, if you do mostly highway driving or it's very cold out or you're using your A/C a lot, the 250 mile range would probably be a stretch. Also, if you drive more aggressively that would affect the range as well.

I'm guessing the official ranges for various EVs is determined with a mixed amount of city and highway driving under "normal" conditions. Also, I'm guessing the official ranges don't account for very cold or very hot weather driving.

Last edited:
The bolt 257 miles is epa not real world.
Going by epa, and not needing suv, the Tesla 3 rwd gets 270 EPA and is $40,240 minus $7500.

When comparing models, in addition to price and milage, you need to compare safety and crash features.

Tesla is very high on safety score and the full self driving kicks in to avoid a crash even if you did not buy FSD.

I think they've stopped making the Bolt.

What GM announced is that they will make a new version of the Bolt using their Ultium platform, which is suppose to be designed from the ground up for EVs and to deliver better costs.

But they haven't said when the new Bolt will arrive.

They could prioritize other models like the Cadillac Lyric, which is also an Ultium EV, since those are priced much higher and would bring more profits.

I have a 2021 Hyundai Tucson SUV and that's a perfect car for me. This year I have taken three trips over 2,000 miles each and the car size is comfortable and roomy. My friend's Bolt is "about" the same size with maybe a small amount of cargo space less.

The Bolt won't work for me for long trips, but it could replace the Hyundai for day to day driving.

Going by epa, and not needing suv, the Tesla 3 rwd gets 270 EPA and is $40,240 minus $7500.

My real world experience with a Bolt EUV (EPA 247) is that the actual mileage is pretty darn close to the EPA estimate. Mind you, that's not in cold temps (below 40F). YMMV, of course.

The basic Bolt is $27,495 minus $7,500.

I posted a table and link in the other thread, but many EVs (incl Tesla) don't get real world range matching the EPA estimate. Surprisingly a few actually get more real world, but expensive models from MB and Porsche.

I think they've stopped making the Bolt.

What GM announced is that they will make a new version of the Bolt using their Ultium platform, which is suppose to be designed from the ground up for EVs and to deliver better costs.

But they haven't said when the new Bolt will arrive.

They could prioritize other models like the Cadillac Lyric, which is also an Ultium EV, since those are priced much higher and would bring more profits.

Of course:

"We're GM, the biggest auto company of all time. Let us signal to you that we are green, while screwing you over by only letting you buy the most expensive, option-filled vehicle that 99.98% of the world can never afford."

Got it.

And if the Bolt version ever occurs, you're gonna tell me it has a range of 210 miles, right?

I'm out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom