Experience with Omaha Steaks?

This is the current special they're offering, it came with the weekly coupon and supermarket flyers. I don't know what they charge for shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_20221117_093604402_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221117_093604402_HDR.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 47
I don't find Omaha Steaks to be fine in any way. Order them, and they'll bother you for years trying to sell you more.

There are many great companies online selling far better meats for better prices.

Since inflation reared it's head, we seldom eat any steaks or roasts. It's chicken, pork and ground beef for us. I do have a couple of baby backs in reserve, however.

We've found that Costco's ground chuck @ $3.99 a lb. is in a class of its own in quality. Only problem is dividing up an 8 lb. pack into patties and smaller amounts for freezing.

I have been buying Omaha Steaks since the mid-1990s. I have liked most of what I have bought, but it is overpriced (unless it is extra deeply discounted, a rarity). For the last few years, I buy only their burgers and, for my dad as a gift, franks, and various birthday gift packs for my brother and his small family.

For a while, I was picking up a good freebie now and then with their rewards program. But they have cut back that program so much it is pretty worthless to me any more. They used to have a retail store nearby, but they closed it many years ago so it's a bigger hassle going to one now about 20 miles away. The number of available items at that retail store have been reduced, too.

Like most others here, I tried them once with a coupon years back. Nothing remotely special, and never ordered again.

If I was sending someone a food-related gift, it would be a gift card to somewhere I know they already like.

Great steaks to be had at Costco and HEB. We also have a vacuum sealer.

I’ve got my eye out for that prime rib roast at Costco that usually shows up around the holidays. It came out so great last year.

Woohoo - Prime rib standing rib roast was there at Costco today.

Geezer/tightwad here but I do enjoy a good steak. We wait for the sales at our local supermarket and buy New York strips for ~$5/pound. I trim and vacuum seal them individually. DW and I usually split one with a salad. They are usually very good and tender with occasionally excellent steaks. Don't mind the extra work since I know where they came from and can easily return if I get a bad batch.
BTW meat in general is more expensive in Colorado than here in Louisiana. Why?
We do the same.

I think Omaha steaks are delicious and I loved the stuffed baked potatoes. However, unless you get a killer sale they are expensive.

Not a meat or fish gift, but many years ago a friend's mother gifted us a "Fruit Of The Month" subscription for a year.

What a delightful treat that was!

Decades ago we enjoyed Harry and David fruit of the month club. We’d never eaten such luscious pears!

Omaha was fine the times I've had it. Crowd Cow has better quality and more meats in general. But really you'll get the best quality by finding your local fancy independent butcher and buying good cuts, here in the bay area where I live I like Pape Meats.

For supermarkets Whole Foods used to have distinctly better meat than Safeway, but I feel like the quality gap narrowed a lot and at least locally they don't actually have butchers at Whole Foods anymore which turns out to make them useless when you need something cut specifically the way you want.

Are you looking at mail ordering because they live far away? If so go with Crowd Cow, the quality is solid, the price is only mildly outrageous and it gets around going to a butcher and giving not deep frozen meat. :)

Re Omaha Steaks; you can get better beef at the grocery store. If you want to order up some good stuff, try Snake River Farms.

Agreed, but to be fair, Snake River Farms are in a different price universe.

Tried it when they were a client of my company. If you gift Omaha Steaks, both you and the recipient will be bombarded with regular phone calls and direct mail to buy more overpriced food. I'd pick something else as a gift...

Great steaks to be had at Costco and HEB. We also have a vacuum sealer.

I’ve got my eye out for that prime rib roast at Costco that usually shows up around the holidays. It came out so great last year.

Our great steaks are from Wegmans. Like single malt 12 yo scotch, don't try Wegmans or you will never enjoy the other sources again. :D

Our commissary does the rib roast we get for Christmas.

Thanks again for all the responses! Omaha may be worth a try for this. These relatives live 500 miles away, so having something shipped to them is the easiest option. And,TBH, they are really more "Walmart" people than "Whole Foods" people. Not a judgement, just reality. I'm not sure they even eat fruit.
My only reservation now is that I don't want to set them up for a marketing barrage as Starsky mentioned. Perhaps I can give their address for shipping, but sub in my phone and email in the required info.

This is a typical sale package for $99:
4 (5 oz.) Butcher's Cut Top Sirloins
4 (6 oz.) Boneless Pork Chops
4 (6 oz.) Omaha Steaks Burgers
4 (3 oz.) Gourmet Jumbo Franks
1 (3.1 oz. jar) Omaha Steaks Seasoning
FREE Caramel Apple Tartlets ($14.99 Value)

That is 80 ounces of some kind of meat for $99. That works out to $20 a pound! That is more that we pay for Filet Mignon. Granted there is the convenience of portion size pieces vacuum wrapped. but....

This is a joke. Of those 6 items, only ONE is steak.
The others are hamburger, hot dogs, sauce, and a sweet. Oh, and pork chops. Good, but not steak.

I've received these as gifts and they're good and a bit of a novelty. If you're looking at good meat and value though I'd recommend getting a val-pack of rib roast and trim it to steaks and ribroast yourself. You will save 30 to 40% per pound. Then freeze in a heavy duty freezer ziploc. I do the water immersion so air forces out above the waterline and zip close. It's a poor man's vacuum seal. Sure it is a little more effort but extra savings are great and steaks are really good.

My conclusion after having received and consumed this product, it isn't the best deal or quality available but the steaks are good, not great. They are expensive for what you get, so I wouldn't buy for myself but they are a decent product for a gift.

Here's a follow-up for those who are interested. My relatives enjoyed the gift from Omaha. They are pretty busy people, so the convenience of having ready to go stuff in the freezer is good. I ordered on Dec 9 and it was delivered to them Dec 12. By the time I ordered, Omaha sweetened the deal with free shipping.
I gave Omaha my junk email account and a google phone number that does not receive texts in the place where they asked for the recipient's email and phone. Since Dec 9, my junk email account has received more than 40 "special offer!" emails from Omaha. LOL

We received both an Omaha meat pack and a Harry & David fruit box. Appreciate both, but the thrifty in me is aghast at the cost. Six heavy pears of mediocre texture and flavor in the fruit box. Lots of boxes and shipping material in the Omaha meat pack. Surprised no one mentioned one of the best things - big Christmas fun playing with the dry ice!

Back
Top Bottom