Favorite Podcasts

All Songs Considered
Bloomberg Surveillance
TED Radio Hour
The Economist
Group Therapy with Above and Beyond

EconTalk, Hard Core History, and lots of tech podcasts (ATP, Security Now, MacBreak Weekly, TWIT, Ctrl-Walt-Delete).
I didn't expect a twit head here, but since many of us are tech folks...

I only listen to Security Now on twit lately, and not every one any more now that I don't commute.

I like science Friday, freakonomics and NPR tech. Hidden brain gets the heave ho sometimes, but still on the list.

I never listen to news, so wait wait would wait forever for guys like me, lol!

Finance-

Paul Merriman
Jill on Money
Dough Roller
The Money Guy
Financial Mentor
Radical Personal Finance
Retire Secure!

Travel-

Rick Steves
Extra Pack of Peanuts
Budget Minded Traveler
Zero to Travel

NYC-
Bowery Boys history
Mark Simone Show news/talk

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Wait Wait is the only one I listen to regularly. Love that show.

Curious as to when you all listen to these podcasts. I used to listen on my half-hour to and from work. Once the commute ended, so did my listening. (Also, since I pulled the trigger I've been less interested in the personal finance ones.)

The Mac Observer’s Mac Geek Gab
Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History
Paul Merriman
99% Invisible
Backstory
Mac Power Users
Latest in Paleo

Usually listen to podcasts when driving or talking a walk

I'm new to podcasts. The only one I've listened to is:

The History of Rome (recorded in 2008-2012)

and it has been very entertaining and educational. I'm on about episode 130 out of about 180. I listen on the commute home from work for the most part (not driving).

Last edited:
Curious as to when you all listen to these podcasts.

I rarely just listen to a podcast. I usually listen while doing something that doesn't take my full focus.

For me that's when I'm mowing the lawn or at the Y exercising or taking a walk. If I'm going on a long drive I'll try to make sure there is one or two in the queue. Need to be picky though so that DW isn't bored with it if she's along.

Curious as to when you all listen to these podcasts. .......
I save them up and I listen to them when I'm driving out of good radio reception and also when I'm camping.

Curious as to when you all listen to these podcasts.

When I'm taking a long road trip somewhere or when I'm walking/running on the treadmill. Really passes the time.

When I'm taking a long road trip somewhere or when I'm walking/running on the treadmill. Really passes the time.

Same here- during workouts, when I'm in the car by myself and also when I'm cleaning the house. I even mow the lawn with podcasts through my Bose headphones.

Curious as to when you all listen to these podcasts. I used to listen on my half-hour to and from work. Once the commute ended, so did my listening. (Also, since I pulled the trigger I've been less interested in the personal finance ones.)

I listen to them when I'm playing video games, surfing the internet, working out at the gym, doing crossword puzzles, cooking dinner, doing chores, and so on.

I don't listen to the personal finance ones as much any more, either.

Any of the NPR podcasts
A few hobby-related ones
TED Radio Hour
Serial
Stuff You Should Know
Stuff You Missed In History Class

And I don't use it often, but Sleep With Me is really great if you need something to help you drift off to sleep.

I listen on my commute to/from work, and on my daily walks/runs. I also listen when I'm getting ready in the morning. All told, I get about 2.5 hours of podcasts in each day. I am new to podcasts - someone at work knew I am a lifetime learner and recommended I start using them. I'm so upset I haven't been listening all these years! I've wasted so much commute time!

I listen on my Roku using the iTunes channel. The Roku 3 has a headphone jack and I can listen while doing other things around the house. I also load several episodes on a memory stick and play in the car. Since the advent of the podcast, I hardly ever listen to the car radio. I hate commercials. Same thing applies with cable TV which I ditched 4 years ago and get my content via Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Related, though not really podcasts, are audio books.

Audible is a great source for books, though the prices seem a bit high to me.

Audiobooks is an excellent iOS app that accesses hundreds of free audio books (they also sell books). The free books are heavily weighted to "classics", but that's fine with me.

I listen to podcasts more than audiobooks, but I gravitate toward audiobooks (1) on long drives - sometimes you can polish off a whole book on one trip or (2) late at night trying to fall asleep. I have a couple of "mildly interesting" books that help me fall asleep pretty easily ;-)

I just downloaded Overdrive, which my library uses for borrowing audio books. It is a little clunky, and my library doesn't have a massive selection of the kinds of books I prefer, but not bad for free.

I was reading an article recently about a meeting with podcasters & Apple. Podcasters need a revenue stream. They need a subscription model.

Podcasts that I listen to lately.
Security Now, The Tech Guy
Clark Howard
WDW Radio
Living the RV Dream

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I listen to podcasts and audible books from the library on Overdrive while I walk. They sure have helped me to increase my walking time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom