Financial Insecurity and Mental Illness

Immortality may be tolerable if our physical condition stays the same. With the constant deterioration like we all face, longevity certainly becomes a curse at some point. Usually, it's around 90 to 100 for people I know.

PS. I say "tolerable" because I do not know how I would feel if I survive everybody I know. I will never find out, so it's a no problem really.

My DF did that. When he went home to stay with my older sister she said how sad it was to watch. Always searching for anyone he'd known, few mistaken identity along the way. All the folks he knew after 35 years in FL. were gone. I remember him telling me that he was going to visit a fellow he'd worked with, before they got together the fellow passed.

This thread seems to have gone slightly off course.

My neighbor down the street committed suicide in the basement of their house. Supposedly a shock to the wife.
It's a topic that is rarely reported, considering it happens a lot. I believe the thinking is that authorities are afraid it might catch on, like planking or something.

I stay away from the edge of buildings because I'm afraid my body might spontaneously jerk/jump causing me to fall over.

I hear you loud and clear--DS is a "marginal" bi-polar (i.e. largely functioning bi-polar) and exhibits most of the issues, just not as extremely, but has improved over the last 10 years, while living with my mother and helping her. She does have a drive to help people, even if it isn't always help.

Good luck with your daughter; it can work out, eventually, particularly with age.

DW's father was a schizophrenic who went on the streets and finally died of alcoholism. BIL had considerable depression after his divorce and lay-off (I don't blame him), but has worked through it, and has a considerable and admirable drive to work it out for his teenage son and others. I admire him a great deal.

I think psychological issues, particularly untreated, play a huge role in the economy and in personal stability/finances, but that's just based on personal experience. I suppose I picked my family incorrectly.

It's just a shame that so many people have more than one of the above problems. They seldom have one, and numerous Meds are required. And it's a shame that the Meds make them feel bad. Those with mental issues just won't stay on their medicine regiment. Look up, and they won't even go to the doctor or try to help themselves.

Family and good friends are quickly alienated until they just disappear. Bipolars and many with personality issues have takers, unemployed, thieves and other severely depressed people around them--just what's not needed. Throw in illegal drugs when they self medicate and their situation is very legally volatile--especially if children are involved.

That's where we are with our bipolar daughter. I understand someone having the problem, but throw in bad manners and narcissism and it's like there's no way out. We've been putting up with her 10 years.

Note: Such individuals cannot be trusted with money, and they'll suck parents dry. About all we can do is set up a Special Needs Trust that pays utility bills, insurance and the most basic needs. They cannot get their hands on any assets.

The meds have some terrible side effects which is one of the problems for people. Also when people start to feel better they think they don't need the meds anymore and some people can't afford them. Many of my clients had a MI. It is very sad.

My grandmother had bouts of schizophrenia from time to time, and occasionally would start worrying about running out of money. I can remember back in 1995, during the summer, she thought she was out of money so she stopped running the air conditioning, in a cinder block house, so she'd just sit and bake all day. Mom had to have her committed for a few weeks.

As she got older, we started watching her more, and I helped handle a lot of her finances. Every once in awhile, she'd say she was running out of money. I asked her what made her think she was running out, and she just said "I know what things cost, and I've been keeping track in my head".

Well, it turns out a bit later, she was keeping track of costs (or what she thought the costs were), but had conveniently forgotten about what was coming in (retirement, SS, etc). Once she figured that out, she was a bit better. I think she had about $350K to her name when she finally passed in 2015, at the age of 91. Plus a house that was paid in full.

I don't know what I'd do, if I suddenly lost everything. I'd like to think I'd hold it together, but there's an old saying that the higher you fly, the harder you fall, or something like that...:confused:

Back
Top Bottom