Friendly Reminder to get your colonoscopies.

rodi

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
BIL had been putting it off. He's 63 and finally went in for his first colonoscopy. He has stage 4 rectal cancer. No pain, no symptoms... says he's in the best shape, physically he's ever been in. (Has recently started doing more cycling.) There are masses in his lungs and on a kidney.

He's kicking himself that he didn't do it sooner.

So, yeah... colonoscopies are not fun - especially the prep. But do it on a regular schedule.

So sorry Rodi. I am due as my last one was 11 years ago.

That’s awful, very sorry to hear that. Thanks for the reminder. My third one comes in 2021, all good so far.

So sad.....you must put your health first, it's all you really have when it all boils down.

I've undergone a number of colonoscopies, at 5 year intervals, since 1989.....last time I had one the doc said I don't need another for 10 years.

Other than having to eat Jello (which I loathe) beforehand, the prep & procedures were ho hum....don't put it off, get it done.

I’m good until 2026. DW is on a five year schedule and is due in two years.

Friendly Reminder to Get Your Shingrix Shots

Inspired by another thread, you want to avoid the misery of shingles if at all possible. My Dad and a co-worker had it, and both said they wished they were dead while they went through it, it can take 2-6 weeks to recover.

DW’s best friend just got it, she’s a healthcare professional and she never bothered to get the vaccine - just stupid!

DW and I had our second Shingrix shots Feb 2019.

So, yeah... colonoscopies are not fun - especially the prep. But do it on a regular schedule.

So sorry Rodi.

i have to say while I was dreading my first one (and put it off by a few months only to do it in mid-march right when covid went into first gear....oi, I called them twice the day before "are you SURE you'll be open tomorrow before I drink this stuff...."), even the prep wasn't as bad as advertised.

I've done juice cleanses that were more uncomfortable. So yeah, anyone who is put off by the prep - it's probably not as terrible as you imagine.

I'm sorry.

My older sister put it off till she was 73 and was diagnosed with colon cancer. They removed it and she has healed but it was unnecessary in the fact she avoided screening for 20+ years ago then.... wished she had a couple of tests.

I read today about a person who had yearly colon screening. He suggested rubbing lemon on your tongue and to sip the cold preparation through a straw and pushing it to the back of your mouth. I'll be trying it as I'm on a three year schedule due to my DS and other issues.

@rodi and @Midpack, thanks for the good reminders.

I had my first last year at age 50. One 6mm adenoma, which is a pre-cancerous polyp, was removed. So I am due back at age 55 and have it on my calendar. Since they found something in the first one, my understanding is the second one is on my nickel. I'm OK with that.

Regarding prep, my doctor said to chill it, mix with Sprite, and drink it slowly through a straw. Those all probably helped, although Sprite-flavored prep stuff is kinda weird and might create a negative association.

I also was given a "split prep", so I did half the night before and half the morning of. Worked just fine and as others have said, not as bad as people say it is.

Maybe get baby wipes and a good book.

The only thing I'd probably do differently is schedule my appointment for a little bit later in the morning. The second half of the split prep had to be completed IIRC four hours prior, and my appointment was at 9am, so having to get up at 4am and prep was not the most enjoyable way to spend the middle of my night.

I also have had the Shingrix shots, and will plan on pneumonia and flu shots as needed. If I go to https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/ and plug in my numbers, I've got basically zero chance of ever running out of money but a 20% chance of being dead by 70, so I figure paying attention to my health is time well spent.

Last edited:
Rodi, Thanks for the reminder. I am due this year (waited until 55 for the first one).

Just started MediCare. I assume this is completely covered?

I had my first one at 50 (found nothing out of the ordinary) so I'm due again this year at 60. I'm putting it off due to COVID, but this thread reminds me that I should consider relative risks and not put it off too long.

I’m so sorry to hear about your BIL. A longtime friend of DH’s just passed away a few months ago at 70 from colon cancer, declining to ever have a colonoscopy. At the other end of the possibility scale, my Dad died of colon cancer at 80 - it was diagnosed about 18 months after his last colonoscopy (which was clear) - sometimes the cancer is just super aggressive.

My first one was at 50 and they found a couple of polyps so I’ve been on 3-5 year cycles ever since. I must say prep has come a long way in 15 years - last time wasn’t as bad as I had dreaded.

DH is in similar mode as myself with frequency. Our only real surprise this year was that his was considered “diagnostic” instead of “preventative” because of polyp history. He is still on ACA plan with a high deductible we had to pay out of his deductible for the entire thing because he had a history of polyps and therefore the test was coded “diagnostic”. We should have waited four months when he starts Medicare instead. He was more traumatized by the Covid test he had to have prior to the colonoscopy thatn the colonoscopy itself

I’ll never forget DH’s first one at 50 (which took a lot of “encouraging” to get him to do) when the doc came into recovery and said, “today is your lucky day” and detailed the precancerous polyps he removed.

Last edited:
Rodi, Thanks for the reminder. I am due this year (waited until 55 for the first one).

Just started MediCare. I assume this is completely covered?

Most def. Even with the aca, it's covered, unless they have a bunch of things to remove so it gets coded as diagnostic vs. preventative. But either way, for the crowd here, this is not a time/place to be frugal.

I was 42 when I had my first one, after some blood in the stool. Actually - they did a sigmoidoscopy... Found 4 polyps - which were bigger than the could be handled so I had a colonoscopy 2 weeks later to remove the polyps. That put me on a 5 year schedule... No polyps in the following 2 so now I'm on the 10 year schedule.

DH told his doctor about his brother - and is now on the 5 year plan - with a procedure scheduled for mid september.

My Mom and her mother both died of colon cancer so I started early at age 45 and get one every five years. Not as much as a polyp so far and I intend to keep having my insides checked so it stays that way, or anything is caught early. I’ve seen first hand what this disease can do.

I am 57 and have had 2 already. They aren’t that bad. If you already are an intermittent faster, they actually are easier.
Haven’t found anything so far. Good for another 7 years.

That’s awful, very sorry to hear that. Thanks for the reminder. My third one comes in 2021, all good so far.

3rd one for me also in 2021.
Prep not the greatest, but it used to be worse.
The actual procedure is the best 30 minute sleep you will get. Guys in particular need to get over the fear.

The actual procedure is the best 30 minute sleep you will get.

I seem to come out of it slightly faster than some......got out of bed in the recovery room after one procedure.....headed down the hall to the can...encountered the anesthetist, said "Hi" and received a "What the hell are you doing out of bed?" type look.:LOL:

I have had 3 colonoscopies and due for one more at age 75. Twice small polyps were removed. No matter how rough one might find the prep, it is just one day out of your life and cannot possibly be worse than having cancer. The tragic story of Chadwick Boseman is currently in the news--an outstanding young actor who died of colon cancer at age 43. I just saw him in "Da Five Bloods" on Netflix.

Most def. Even with the aca, it's covered, unless they have a bunch of things to remove so it gets coded as diagnostic vs. preventative. But either way, for the crowd here, this is not a time/place to be frugal.

I had my first last year at age 50. One 6mm adenoma, which is a pre-cancerous polyp, was removed. So I am due back at age 55 and have it on my calendar. Since they found something in the first one, my understanding is the second one is on my nickel. I'm OK with that.
Same for me. I had 3 bleeding adenomas at 50. Thank God it wasn't malignant yet. I then had a scope at age 51 and 54. No cost to either, as Aerides mentions.

Get the second test! My first year they grabbed more polyps. My 3rd year was clear. I'm due in 2 more years for a 5 year.

Some doctors say don’t get them after age 70 because your lining gets too thin and I don’t think Medicare pays after age 75. Some doctors do them forever. It’s a big decision when to quit.

My trick for the prep solution: channel your best 19 year old college years of chugging beer.

Seriously! I fill the glass, and take a memory lane trip back to quaffing beers at age 19. I may sing a certain drinking song in my head, then open up and down it goes in one fell swoop.

I know, not everyone developed that skill. But if you did, bring it back. It is like riding a bicycle. :cool:

My father and younger sister both died from colon cancer, so I am hyper vigilant. The prep is NOTHING compared to what I saw them go through with the disease. For years.

I cannot recommend these regular screenings enough.

-BB

I had my last colonoscopy at age 72 - all clear. It was the 4th I've had since turning 50. Only one small polyp found during the third one, nothing before or after.

I'm done.

My trick for the prep solution: channel your best 19 year old college years of chugging beer.

Seriously! I fill the glass, and take a memory lane trip back to quaffing beers at age 19. I may sing a certain drinking song in my head, then open up and down it goes in one fell swoop.

I know, not everyone developed that skill. But if you did, bring it back. It is like riding a bicycle. :cool:

A little music to help you get in the mood:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom