Friendly Reminder to get your colonoscopies.

My trick for the prep solution: channel your best 19 year old college years of chugging beer.

Seriously! I fill the glass, and take a memory lane trip back to quaffing beers at age 19. I may sing a certain drinking song in my head, then open up and down it goes in one fell swoop.

I know, not everyone developed that skill. But if you did, bring it back. It is like riding a bicycle. :cool:

Plus hold your nose.

Thank you Rodi for this important reminder. I wish your BIL and family the best.

I have had 2. Both all clear. The prep is really not bad at all.

My internist has an interesting perspective. He said 85% of colon cancer is found on first colonoscopy.

That eased my worry for 2nd but of course I took it on time.

Also, at my annual physical he always did stool tests for blood. Not as comprehensive but good practice.

Get those annual physicals. They are free.

I seem to come out of it slightly faster than some......got out of bed in the recovery room after one procedure.....headed down the hall to the can...encountered the anesthetist, said "Hi" and received a "What the hell are you doing out of bed?" type look.:LOL:

My first one was before they started using general anesthesia and they told me I’d be awake but wouldn’t remember anything. Well, I was awake and remembered every second. But they pump you full of Valium like stuff so I didn’t mind. See that three foot thing? We’re going to stick it where the sun don’t shine. No problem. Go for it! :LOL: I actually found it very cool to see my innards on the monitor.

Rodi, so sorry about your BIL. I will say a pray for him. Do they know what his treatment will be yet?

This year I am due for my 3rd colonoscopy at age 70. Had them at age 50 and 60 and no problems. When I turned age 50 I had a doctor whose policy was that she would not keep you as a patient after age 50 unless you had a colonoscopy. She was "pushy" that way and I am glad.

I will go forward with the age 70 colposcopy but that may be my last one unless I have problems. I don't think they recommend them after age 70 for us elderly types.

My first one was before they started using general anesthesia and they told me I’d be awake but wouldn’t remember anything. Well, I was awake and remembered every second. But they pump you full of Valium like stuff so I didn’t mind. See that three foot thing? We’re going to stick it where the sun don’t shine. No problem. Go for it! :LOL: I actually found it very cool to see my innards on the monitor.

The first one I had was sans anesthesia too.....not painful, but uncomfortable...second one, I said give me the drugs......think it was maybe the third one where I watched it on TV.....interesting to see what's going on. :cool:

Sorry to hear about the news of your BIL rodi. Thanks for sharing the story and reminding everyone to not put things off.

I am sorry to hear this, rodi. Good of you to use this opportunity to remind others of the importance of the test.

I had my first one on March 12 of this year at age 52. No polyps. I was not prepared for the gas pains immediately upon awakening, and they lasted for a couple days. I had not heard that complaint from anyone so it took me by surprise.

I also was not prepared for getting such little sleep the night prior to the procedure. That was awful, and made me irritable, so that is my worst complaint. AND, I was surprised at the numerous dreams I had during the procedure. I remember saying to the anesthesia doctor, “so many dreams!”

Anyway, I am glad I did it and it is good to know this procedure is one that can actually prevent cancer.

Sorry about your BIL. Colon cancer is awful. I had an aunt who died from it, which is why I was eager to get my first colonoscopy done this year at age 50 and in spite of COVID. I had to reschedule since COVID shut down “non-essential” tests but got it done in June.

That prep liquid was nasty, I was worried I was going to throw it up and be forced to reschedule but I kept it down. I had to take it in two parts, one at 5 pm and one at 4 am. But the test itself was a breeze.

Found a 6 mm and a 4 mm polyp. Both benign, thankfully. I have to return in 5 years. All worth it to know that I’m currently colon cancer free.

Good reminder but sorry about bil. I had my 2nd one a couple of years ago with good report. Other than the prep it's not bad.

I have had 2. Both all clear. The prep is really not bad at all.

My internist has an interesting perspective. He said 85% of colon cancer is found on first colonoscopy.

That eased my worry for 2nd but of course I took it on time.

Also, at my annual physical he always did stool tests for blood. Not as comprehensive but good practice.

Get those annual physicals. They are free.

Interesting that 85% of colon cancer is found on the first one--I did not know that. I wonder if the fact that some people wait too long and only get their "first" one at a later age when they have problems is one reason for this stat. If many people are found to have cancer at their first one at age 50 you would think that they would recommend the procedure earlier--like at age 40.

I read today about a person who had yearly colon screening. He suggested rubbing lemon on your tongue and to sip the cold preparation through a straw and pushing it to the back of your mouth. I'll be trying it as I'm on a three year schedule due to my DS and other issues.

I have had like 6.5 or so. With Crohn's they want to take a look to see if there is inflamation. Day before you start the prep ease up on the heavy foods. Steak & baked potato...no bueno. Yogurt & soup...better.

Last year on my screen instead of a colonscopy they did an MRI

*the .5 they hit me with light anesthesia in the factory ward. But I didn't relax to get the probe around some corners. So I had another one the next day at the hospital with the "good stuff". 2 plus days no eating...oh joy

Gas can be a complaint. My nurse and doctor encouraged me to get it out in recovery. Don't be shy! They pump you up. You gotta blow it out.

It could be that you are naturally shy about it and reflexively retained it. The longer it stays, the more it can find places to hide out.

I dream a lot too. I think it is a propofol thing.

I have had 4 nothing found. . . colon cancer runs in my family though.

rodi--so sorry to hear about your BIL.
Thank you for the reminder, though.

Gas can be a complaint. My nurse and doctor encouraged me to get it out in recovery. Don't be shy! They pump you up. You gotta blow it out.

It could be that you are naturally shy about it and reflexively retained it. The longer it stays, the more it can find places to hide out.

I dream a lot too. I think it is a propofol thing.
I've had 2 this year and both totally clear which I'm very thankful for. The first was with Propofol and I woke up so alert and felt better than I had in months. The second one was with Demerol last week and I felt sluggish and simply awful all day. I had a bad diverticulitis attack in May and still not completely recovered so they did the 2nd colonoscopy just to be safe. Father died from bowel cancer and mother from breast cancer, neither made it 60.

The first was with Propofol and I woke up so alert and felt better than I had in months. The second one was with Demerol last week and I felt sluggish and simply awful all day.
Yes. If you are going to get anesthesia, ask what kind? Propofol is preferable. They ask you to take it easy, but frankly, I was fine 15 minutes after waking and good for anything the rest of the day. I still followed instructions and didn't drive or do anything, even though I think I could have.

Demerol has all kinds of effects on many people. I especially hear a lot about nausea or bad taste.

My brother, age 73, would not get colonoscopies. Earlier this year he started having bad stomach cramps and losing weight...that went on for weeks. Turns out it was stage 2 colon cancer. They think they removed it all during surgery and it hadn't spread to his lymph nodes. He was lucky but could've avoided a lot of mental anguish had he had routine screenings, plus he will always have the threat of it coming back. He admits he was wrong not to get screenings. At age 67, I have had 2 colonoscopies. Nothing was found on either and I was on the 10 year plan, but since his diagnosis I will have to be on a 5 year plan. Not due for another for 3 1/2 years though, but I will do it.

Early on joining this community I was passionate about this subject.
A colonoscopy saved my life.
I really didn't have much choice, though. At 50, my doc said "get it." I dragged my feet for a few months. I had also been seeing a few streaks of something red from time to time, but I always passed it off as eating candy or red jello. That was very bad thinking, as food coloring does not typically work that way.

Then one day, a completely bright red toilet.

I called my GI referral, and he asked that I come in right away. Not seeing any major hemorrhoids, he was concerned. 3 days later the colonoscopy confirmed major bleeding polyps. I was lucky, they usually don't bleed like this. I would have dragged my feet.

In my doctor's estimation, I would have had cancer within the year. I had another follow up 1 year later, and they pulled 3 more polyps. Then 3 years later, none. So I'm now on the 5 yr. plan.

It is treatable. My uncle and cousin had a history of it. My cousin had a complete blockage of the bowel, that was his symptom. Fortunately, no distant metastasis and he is now fine, 10 years on. His father, my uncle, died from it in his late 40s.

My take away from all this is don't ignore ANY symptom. Low iron? Get checked. More than one incident of a blood streak? Get a checkup. And so on.

Last edited:
Some doctors say don’t get them after age 70 because your lining gets too thin and I don’t think Medicare pays after age 75. Some doctors do them forever. It’s a big decision when to quit.

Had my first at 51 and second at 61 - both all clear. I will have one at 71 and then evaluate. My PCP told me that if he were in my shoes and received an all-clear at 71, he would forego further colonoscopies.

I've got 9 years to think about it.

I will have my 3rd one this year (age 70). Assuming it is OK then I probably will not get another one unless I have issues.

The first one I had was sans anesthesia too.....not painful, but uncomfortable...second one, I said give me the drugs......think it was maybe the third one where I watched it on TV.....interesting to see what's going on. :cool:
Did you mean completely drug-free, Nemo2? That's what I did, because I don't mind physical discomfort or pain that much, but I really dislike being foggy or forced into unconsciousness. Plus, I didn't see any need to have my spouse take off of w*rk to drive me when I could drive myself! And it was fine, just a quick moment of pressure and discomfort in the beginning, and that was it, other than the gas pressure. Much easier than the prep, IMO.

And I ask if you did it completely without drugs because I discussed it with my gastroenterologist, and he said he only had a few patients request that, but of those that did, none of them said they regretted it or asked to be put under the next time, and that gave me confidence in my decision. (Last year was my first one.)

Last edited:
Rodi - add me to the well-wishers for your BIL. I've been faithful to the schedule of colonoscopies. Cliche I know, but as bad as the prep is it sure beats not getting colonoscopy and then learning too late you should have. 20 years ago my neighbor had some symptoms, went to the GI doctor, and the cancer was too widespread (he never went for colonoscopy previously). He died within a couple of months.
Better to take preventive action than regret not doing so, with such a high price at risk.

A tip for the prep:

Mix it with Crystal Light powder and it is actually not too bad. I did that for mine and it worked great. A friend of mine mixed his with Tequila. He said is was awesome, but I don;t think I'd recommend it...

Back
Top Bottom