Have You Upsized Your TV Recently?

I have not heard of the Chane's but their website looks good. I am leaning toward the 340SE2 which is brand new upgrade over the prior SE. Same with their center. The introductory pricing looks attractive as well and they were highly recommended on the AVS forum. What AVR or amp are you using? I am seeing that Denon has recently reduced special pricing on some of its AVRs. I already have Definitive Tech sub and some bookselves that I could use as satellites if I decide on 5.1, but may stay 3.1.

I got the Costco version of the Yamaha RX-V6A. The Costco version is Yamaha TSR-700. It's the exact same receiver but $300-$350 less at Costco. The problem is that it's out of stock a lot. I had to monitor their website until it came in stock and then I pounced on it.

Costco also has Denon receivers that are significantly discounted from the equivalent device from places like Best Buy.

I want to go to 5.1 from 3.1 but it requires running wires behind walls and into ceilings and mounting speakers in corners of the room. I'm not confident enough to do this myself. I've tried to get an estimates from local installers but my emails go unanswered. I suppose because my job is a minor thing and they'd rather to a full blown installation. So I stay at 3.1.

onn. brand, screams quality.

I have been watching a 55" HiSense TV from Target that was on sale for $299 for the past three years. Is it a great TV? Not really. The picture is adequate. If I go looking for flaws in the picture I find them but I haven't had a problem with TV breaking down.

Most people that watch cable TV or satellite TV will be happy with an ONN TV. Going from a 42" TV to a 70" is going to make an impact. It's when you get into streaming 4K HDR content that it's not going to look very good.

I got the Costco version of the Yamaha RX-V6A. The Costco version is Yamaha TSR-700. It's the exact same receiver but $300-$350 less at Costco. The problem is that it's out of stock a lot. I had to monitor their website until it came in stock and then I pounced on it.

Costco also has Denon receivers that are significantly discounted from the equivalent device from places like Best Buy.

I want to go to 5.1 from 3.1 but it requires running wires behind walls and into ceilings and mounting speakers in corners of the room. I'm not confident enough to do this myself. I've tried to get an estimates from local installers but my emails go unanswered. I suppose because my job is a minor thing and they'd rather to a full blown installation. So I stay at 3.1.

That AVR looks like a good one. I think you could do rear wireless satellite speakers via Yamaha music caste built into your AVR.

That AVR looks like a good one. I think you could do rear wireless satellite speakers via Yamaha music caste built into your AVR.
I do love the AVR. I've likely only explored 25% of the stuff it can do.

Yes, I could but not any speaker may be used as the wireless rear speakers, they must be Yamaha speakers, which are pricey. Also,the Musicast speakers need to be plugged into 110v outlets, so I'd have electrical cords running down the walls to outlets.

I didn’t upsize since my entertainment center only holds a 55” TV, but I just bought myself a Samsung S95B 4K TV for Christmas. My old one was a 9 1/2 year old 1080p model. This one is soooo nice. I’m loving it.

I didn’t upsize since my entertainment center only holds a 55” TV, but I just bought myself a Samsung S95B 4K TV for Christmas. My old one was a 9 1/2 year old 1080p model. This one is soooo nice. I’m loving it.

You picked a nice upgrade. Gotta love OLED

It is a fantastic TV for movies/videos, however, Samsung has been pushing auto updates that are causing fits to gamers. I am currently on FW 1310 and disconnected my set from the internet to avoid getting an auto update that might screw up the picture. I used the S95B settings thread on AVS forum to make adjustments and got a spectacular picture. Fortunately, I am not a gamer, so much of what those guys talk about goes over my head.

It is a fantastic TV for movies/videos, however, Samsung has been pushing auto updates that are causing fits to gamers. I am currently on FW 1310 and disconnected my set from the internet to avoid getting an auto update that might screw up the picture. I used the S95B settings thread on AVS forum to make adjustments and got a spectacular picture. Fortunately, I am not a gamer, so much of what those guys talk about goes over my head.

Thanks. Yes, I've seen some of the stuff flying on YouTube and the forums about the firmware changes. I'm not a gamer either and honestly, I'm not really even much of a videophile. I just want a nice picture for Sports, Movies, and TV shows. I'll look for some specific settings to adjust using AVS forum recommendations once I get more used to it. I spent much of last night exploring the Smart TV apps and customizing the user interface to my liking. Smart TVs have improved a lot since my previous purchase.

I probably could have been very happy with a lower price unit, but I wanted to make sure I got one with the new NextGen Tuner in it. Since I use an over the air antenna for my TV shows, I want to be at NextGen when my local channels start to roll out the new higher resolution. I think I'm a year or 2 away (or more) from that in my area. But who knows. I'll be ready. NextGen Tuners aren't in the majority of sets yet, it seems.

Last edited:
I would guess 80% of the discussion on AVS forums regarding new TV's revolve around problems with gaming. Usually it's about getting the TV's advertised frame rate to actually be achieved. Otherwise, it could be about posterization or input lag. As a sometimes casual gamer it is maddening to have to sort through all these gaming posts to get to content that I'm interested in reading.

There are quite a lot of complaints about Samsung's firmware updates. I suppose this is typical with a first year model. Samsung TV's have always been an oddity to me. How can an electronics company make TV's with such stellar picture quality yet fumble it in other areas?

We were at an electronics box store a few days ago, I was looking at e-readers. Then we checked out the TVs, I currently have an older low end 65" 720p model. We'll probably upgrade to a 75" 4K UHD soon, the prices are now at the point where the value is there for us.

The current TV can be moved to the basement where it will be used for casual viewing, the existing 55" TV will probably go to our cabin to replace the old 32".

There are quite a lot of complaints about Samsung's firmware updates. I suppose this is typical with a first year model. Samsung TV's have always been an oddity to me. How can an electronics company make TV's with such stellar picture quality yet fumble it in other areas?

90% of the complaints on AVS forum are from gamers and its frustrating looking through all their posts complaining about FW updates and the effect on specific games and what to do about it.

I too would expect more updates with a new technology set, however, there is an auto update button you can turn off, yet if you had established an internet connection, some owners are saying they still received an unwanted update. I am happy with my settings and FW 1310, so I simply turned off the wifi internet connection. The only other issue I see is probably content related, in that when I watch football via Youtube TV, some camera angles have patches of blurriness, while other parts of the picture are crystal clear. Fox Sports is an exception, but CBS, ABC, NBC and ESPN are not the best and for them I prefer watching on my other TV which is connected to a cable box.

Yikes, I did a thing. Saw a price drop on LG C2 77" so swapped out the Samsung. Picture OOTB is as good as the Samsung which I had tweaked the settings for a better picture. I have heard other people say there is not substitute for a bigger screen, and I can see what they mean. If price drops further, I get another 60 days of price protection.

Tried to upload a picture, but either my Mac has an issue or ERF is the problem.

Yikes, I did a thing. Saw a price drop on LG C2 77" so swapped out the Samsung. Picture OOTB is as good as the Samsung which I had tweaked the settings for a better picture. I have heard other people say there is not substitute for a bigger screen, and I can see what they mean. If price drops further, I get another 60 days of price protection.

Tried to upload a picture, but either my Mac has an issue or ERF is the problem.

Yes, the size limit on the Samsung at 65" is the main reason it was scratched from my list. The other reason is Tizen operating system.

Glad to hear you got what you wanted.

We want pics!

Yes, the size limit on the Samsung at 65" is the main reason it was scratched from my list. The other reason is Tizen operating system.

Glad to hear you got what you wanted.

We want pics!

I am not sure what is wrong, but all of sudden I cannot upload any of my pictures to ERF. Can do it elsewhere, but something is broken here.

Edit: I updated Mac to OS 16.1 yesterday and now cannot not upload pictures anywhere. When you try to select a picture to upload it will not select the picture. Stay away from the this update if you are a Mac user.

Last edited:
Do any of you live near me?

I'd be happy to haul that 'old' 65" HDTV of yours to the dump.

Found a workaround for uploading pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpeg
    IMG_0161.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 57
DH tells me the 77” OLED is considerably cheaper now and actually weighs less than our existing 65” one.

Hmmmmmmm

DH tells me the 77” OLED is considerably cheaper now and actually weighs less than our existing 65” one.

Hmmmmmmm

Yep, the new C2 has a carbon-fiber frame which really cuts down on the weight. Also has a center pedestal stand instead of the wide chicken feet style.

Yes, after Black Friday the 77" went up $200 and stayed there for almost 3 weeks but now it's back where it was priced for Black Friday.

DW asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I answered, with a completely serious tone and a straight face, "an LG C2 77" TV." So we will see...

Last edited:
We still have a 40 inch flat screen Sony, vintage 2006 or so, as our only TV. As I can feel the heat coming off the lamps when I walk close by, I'm surprised they haven't burned out.

The wall it's on wouldn't fit anything bigger than 60 inches, and that would overlap the base of the corner fireplace a bit. 55 inches would fit without an overlap.

That difference hasn't provided enough motivation to replace our old one while it is still working.

We still have a 40 inch flat screen Sony, vintage 2006 or so, as our only TV. As I can feel the heat coming off the lamps when I walk close by, I'm surprised they haven't burned out.

The wall it's on wouldn't fit anything bigger than 60 inches, and that would overlap the base of the corner fireplace a bit. 55 inches would fit without an overlap.

That difference hasn't provided enough motivation to replace our old one while it is still working.

I know I'm gonna sound like a shill but for $300 you could get a 55" TCL 455 and luxuriate yourself in 4K splendor and the ease of Roku. In fact, if someone were to wheel this TV into your house and place it next to your 40" Sony you would not let them take it away.

$300 for a new TV. Let's say it lasts 10 years, no, let's say it lasts only 6 years. That is $50 per year of enjoyment, or roughly $1 per week. (OMG, I DO sound like a shill. Ha ha.)

I know I'm gonna sound like a shill but for $300 you could get a 55" TCL 455 and luxuriate yourself in 4K splendor and the ease of Roku. In fact, if someone were to wheel this TV into your house and place it next to your 40" Sony you would not let them take it away.
It's OK to shill, especially when you can't make any money on the deal!

It's pure inertia. I have a history of holding on to old things forever. The TV before it was a 27 inch Zenith tube TV I bought in about 1990. :LOL:

Oh here it is couldn’t find this thread.

Yep, we’re upsizing from 65” to 77” delivery next week! C2

Merry Christmas to us!

Last edited:
Oh here it is couldn’t find this thread.

Yep, we’re upsizing from 65” to 77” delivery next week! C2

Merry Christmas to us!

Yes, Merry Christmas to you!

I'm hoping to get the gift of a 77" LG C2 OLED this year as well. C'mon Santa!

It's pure inertia. I have a history of holding on to old things forever. The TV before it was a 27 inch Zenith tube TV I bought in about 1990. :LOL:

I only got rid of an old 25" GE console TV (made in June 1980 according to the sticker on the back) when I got my first HDTV in 2008.

Until then that console was our main TV from when we got married in 1990.

I totally understand. I got a 32" Toshiba TV in 1994 and used it until I got a 55" LG 3D HDTV in 2012.

Back
Top Bottom