Hot Prowler

I literally cannot imagine not having a dog.

When I walk around the neighborhood and see (and hear) a mutt standing at the window barking at me, I don't know how the people inside can stand it. And then there are the people who like to leave their dog standing in the yard barking for hours on end (fortunately, no one near me). So, this form of security can have its price, especially for those of us who like peace and quiet.

My house has five sliding glass doors, so I consider it relatively insecure. One of the doors has poor security lighting. This thread is a good kick-in-the-butt for me to upgrade the lighting on that door. That said, any thief who breaks into my house is going to immediately realize she made a serious mistake after seeing my radical minimalist decorating (now trendy, believe it or not). And, if she pokes her nose in my frig on her way out hoping for a tasty snack, she will be sorely disappointed by my vegan leftovers. :LOL: Hopefully word will get around the local criminal underground that my house should be avoided. :)

Sorry to hear that and glad no one was hurt or traumatized. How did the intruder gain access?

DW is increasingly worried about this though the probabilities in our neighborhood is very low. We also occasionally forget to lock doors. So, we're investing in automation. Our garage door closes automatically after a minute. I'm thinking of getting a digital lock for the front door that locks automatically after 30 seconds. I don't like the idea of security monitoring, but an audio alarm when the door opens may be a good idea.

I had a security system at our last house. It was self monitored so when we were home, it just let us know if an alarm was tripped. It had an indoor alarm that would go off. We had a master panel in the master bedroom and could check to make sure all door/windows/garage doors were shut when it was armed when we went to bed. We had one motion sensor, but it was not used if we were in the house. All lower level doors/windows had security monitoring stickers in them. Never had any problems. (It also let us know when the kids came and went.) I thought it was a great system. I'll probably look into the same type of system with an upgrade that shuts garage doors and locks doors.

If someone is in your house, flee if you can, call the police, and as a last resort you would get involved with the intruder. If it were me, the only time I would shoot is if I were in fear of my or my family's lives and it would not be a warning shot.
Agreed. If we can't safely get out (likely, given the lack of info of how many bad guys there may be and where they are), we'll stay in the room together and if the door opens and it ain't Santa . . .

I hear people saying that they'd shoot someone who was in their house leaving with their TV, etc. No way I would do that. The legal nightmare (and cost) of shooting someone can be huge. The emotional toll can be bigger still, and it can last a lifetime. And, though the perp may be a scumbag and I'd be mad as hell that someone was in my house, even his life is worth more than my TV.

There is the grey area: A noise heard downstairs--was it just something falling over? Do we all get out of bed and lose sleep and wait together? How long? If the situation is likely nothing, then I will carefully check it out (because I won't be able to sleep until I do, anyway). But if I know there are intruders in my house, I ain't gonna clear it myself.

... And, though the perp may be a scumbag and I'd be mad as hell that someone was in my house, even his life is worth more than my TV.
I'm thinking that the bullet might go through the bad guy and damage the TV. Remember he is running from you and so you'd have to aim just right. So it's a bad strategy. ;)

But yeah, I reluctantly agree that property is secondary in this case.

The emotional toll can be bigger still, and it can last a lifetime. And, though the perp may be a scumbag and I'd be mad as hell that someone was in my house, even his life is worth more than my TV.

Absolutely agree that "stuff" isn't worth shooting even a dirtbag for. If you want to help yourself to my TV and leave, fine by me. That said, I rather doubt I would have much remorse after shooting an intruder I felt frightened enough of to pull the trigger. Perhaps I am a sociopath, or perhaps being a hunter makes me a bit more comfortable with taking life in circumstances that require it. Hopefully I never find out.

There is the grey area: A noise heard downstairs--was it just something falling over? Do we all get out of bed and lose sleep and wait together? How long? If the situation is likely nothing, then I will carefully check it out (because I won't be able to sleep until I do, anyway). But if I know there are intruders in my house, I ain't gonna clear it myself.
Last week in the 5 AM darkness I noticed two SUVs stopped in the middle of our cul-de-sac. (This is very unusual.) Our streetlight casts a lot of glare and hard shadows, so it was tough to see what they were doing. I watched several guys opening their doors & hatchbacks and donning some sort of gear. Others were wandering aimlessly around the street near their SUVs, perhaps checking out the real estate bargains. When one of them hoisted on a vest and an equipment belt, my brain said "weapons" and I called 911.

When the patrol car rolled up, I could see (in the headlights) that the backs of the vests said "Federal Marshals". It turned out that they were setting a security perimeter around the last known location of a murder suspect. It didn't look like any security perimeter I'd ever seen in any military, U.S. or international.

They did not look like the good guys. They were in civilian clothes with unmarked SUVs, and they milled around in the cul-de-sac instead of ringing doorbells to talk to the neighborhood residents. They were way too casual in their behavior to look like law enforcement, and they didn't even know I was watching them from my front lanai. If they'd come on to our property then someone would've been hurt.

I thanked the patrol officer and then asked the Marshals what they wanted. When they explained the situation I invited them to check our yard (which overlooks the gulch they thought the suspect was hiding in) but they declined and said they'd been told the suspect had moved on. (They were trying to move on as well, but they were using jumper cables on one of their SUVs.) Two hours later everyone was back (augmented by a helicopter) and they arrested the suspect right where he'd been previously reported.

We have nothing in our home worth protecting, and I'm much more comfortable at the thought of scampering off like a scared bunny (carrying a cell phone). It turns out that my spouse prefers to fort up in our "panic room" with that cell phone while waiting on the police. I won't abandon her, but I'm very uncomfortable about being stuck in one place waiting for someone else to show up... instead of potentially spraining an ankle sneaking through the neighbor's yard in the dark.

A week later I'm still debating whether to e-mail the local police about the poor behavior of the Federal Marshals. My spouse suggests I should move on and avoid attracting attention to myself. My nuke attitude has trouble abandoning an opportunity for constructive feedback which may enable corrective training to avoid future problems.

Third Ala Moana shooting suspect captured after manhunt - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

I've been doing all the things to make my house the one that the burglar skips because it's not the easy mark. Having trouble sleeping, not so much sleeping as getting back to sleep when I wake up, which is frequently. I keep listening for noises and looking for flashlight glow. I am totally creeped out. Had CSI out to dust and found out how he/she got in. My bad. Popped a screen from the patio to the pantry (no window just the screens) then through the window over washing machine from pantry to kitchen which we left unlocked. That won't happen again. But still, I think the best thing is the perimeter, motion lights, motion alarm in the pantry, eventually probably a system on the windows and doors that we can turn on at night and when we are gone. It's going to take some time to get over the anxiety.

Whenever I would hear sounds at night, I wondered, and would listen hard. We have no kids at home, so as long as DW is beside me, I would pull out the 9mm and did a couple of times to check what the noise was from.

Now with our alarm system turned on to "Home" which is all doors and windows, I sleep a lot better.

You do need to be extra careful, as once broken into, the thief will often return to steal what you replaced, or what they couldn't get the first time.

We have nothing in our home worth protecting, and I'm much more comfortable at the thought of scampering off like a scared bunny (carrying a cell phone). It turns out that my spouse prefers to fort up in our "panic room" with that cell phone while waiting on the police. I won't abandon her, but I'm very uncomfortable about being stuck in one place waiting for someone else to show up... instead of potentially spraining an ankle sneaking through the neighbor's yard in the dark

Around here running around with a cell phone at night scampering through backyards can get you shot by the very Police you called, if not some other nervous home-owner.

From our bedroom, we cannot exit the house without creating a ton of noise and danger going out an upper window, something I'd only do in case of fire.

From our bedroom, we cannot exit the house without creating a ton of noise and danger going out an upper window, something I'd only do in case of fire.

Ditto for us. With two kids in the house, I am not leaving in any case.

Ditto for us. With two kids in the house, I am not leaving in any case.

Doesn't the "You don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun your kids" logic apply in this case? :D

j/k - father instincts will kick in. Just happened to me a few days ago while walking the kids down the street when an aggressive dog darted toward us. I did my best to scare the $hit out of the dog by yelling and getting in its face while keeping me between the dog and the kids. Outcome: no humans (or dogs) were hurt during this encounter.

Can't recall if I've related this before: Guy at work woke up in the wee hours and saw a form at the end of his and his wife's bed. He pulled his 1911 from under the pillow, unlocked the safety (cocked and locked - the only way to carry a 1911), and aimed. To this day he doesn't know what stopped him from firing. The figure grunted.

"Todd?" the home-owner called out. It WAS Todd. He'd gotten all drunked up and got the wrong house in the neighborhood. Apparently, the screen door had opened, even though it was locked (note to self - don't count on screen doors to stop anyone.)

All's well that ends well, I suppose, but this could have been BAD! YMMV

Fat, drunk and STUPID is no way to go through (or keep living) life.

Fat, drunk and STUPID is no way to go through (or keep living) life.

Actually a buddy, who didn't a pistol then but does now, tackled a guy who broke in and was walking down the hallway. As he manhandled the guy he realized the guy's kinda small. It was a 15 year old kid who broke into the wrong house. The girl next door had invited the boy over and he was in the wrong home.

Careful what you do.

I hear people saying that they'd shoot someone who was in their house leaving with their TV, etc. No way I would do that. The legal nightmare (and cost) of shooting someone can be huge. The emotional toll can be bigger still, and it can last a lifetime. And, though the perp may be a scumbag and I'd be mad as hell that someone was in my house, even his life is worth more than my TV.

While this is true, someone who has broken in to your home, to steal items so that can get money, 9 times out of 10, is not someone just trying to "provide for their family", and they very likely don't care ANYTHING about your families well being/life. My DW and DD/DGD's lives are WAY more important than the person illegally in my home, and while it might be difficult to get over ending his/her life, it would be IMMEASURABLY more difficult getting over the loss of any one of my family due to my failure to act.

Actually a buddy, who didn't a pistol then but does now, tackled a guy who broke in and was walking down the hallway. As he manhandled the guy he realized the guy's kinda small. It was a 15 year old kid who broke into the wrong house. The girl next door had invited the boy over and he was in the wrong home.

Careful what you do.

I'm not saying sneak up behind anyone, and pop them in the back of the head. I mean, I don;t sleep at night in full Ninja/Camo gear. :D There would be lots of screaming and other "discussions" first, but any hint of anything besides "Give me 3 steps, give me 3 steps mister...." and I will be calling my lawyer, THEN the police.

Now, if you break in to my neighbor's house (about 6 doors down), you are VERY likely to be taken out never knowing what happened - just retired after 10 years with SEAL's... :flowers:

While this is true, someone who has broken in to your home, to steal items so that can get money, 9 times out of 10, is not someone just trying to "provide for their family", and they very likely don't care ANYTHING about your families well being/life. My DW and DD/DGD's lives are WAY more important than the person illegally in my home, and while it might be difficult to get over ending his/her life, it would be IMMEASURABLY more difficult getting over the loss of any one of my family due to my failure to act.

Career criminals also know escalating consequences of the fine points of the law and how to manipulate a situation to their advantage, legally. I'm especially not going out to face one or more of 'them'. For my situation, this is bad strategy. I have blind corners and a longer barreled gun, shotgun. Pistols don't stop quickly enough. I also don't want to escalate a burglary into a life or death fight, because I trapped someone.

There is one way in and one way out of my safe room. Once warned, any attempt to come through my door is an immediate impending attack on us. All rules are out in this scenario except one, we will be able to walk away.

The key with a light stick idea shows good training, probably similar to mine.

Last edited:
Sure, that's why I wrote the paragraph that preceded this one. Protecting my family is #1. But if someone is >leaving< my house with a TV (what I wrote), microwave, etc, I'm not going to shoot them. I agree that they are very likely not a good person, but shooting them doesn't help >me< or my family in this circumstance. In sheer practical terms, the cost of a TV pales in comparison to the cost of the lawyer I'll probably need if there is a shooting. And the clean-up/disruption in our lives ain't a minor thing. I'm not going to shoot someone just to help society, that's what we have a criminal justice system for. And, yes, I would not feel good about ending someone's life over a TV set.

My security system--Smith and Wesson. Are you feeling lucky punk?

One large black silent dog and a peanut dog that barks loudly.

We live on a busy street and are always checking to make sure the doors are locked.

We had just moved to Texas when the paper reported the story of a man killing a 14 yr old boy who was running away with the man's tv. The kid was in the middle of a field. WTF. Shoot someone for an appliance, not me, they can have our one tv, all 28" of it.

Sure, that's why I wrote the paragraph that preceded this one. Protecting my family is #1. But if someone is >leaving< my house with a TV (what I wrote), microwave, etc, I'm not going to shoot them. I agree that they are very likely not a good person, but shooting them doesn't help >me< or my family in this circumstance. In sheer practical terms, the cost of a TV pales in comparison to the cost of the lawyer I'll probably need if there is a shooting. And the clean-up/disruption in our lives ain't a minor thing. I'm not going to shoot someone just to help society, that's what we have a criminal justice system for. And, yes, I would not feel good about ending someone's life over a TV set.

Agreed. If I have slept though most of it (which my wife says is highly likely) then I am not going to shoot anyone on the way out of the door. :facepalm:

We had just moved to Texas when the paper reported the story of a man killing a 14 yr old boy who was running away with the man's tv. The kid was in the middle of a field. WTF. Shoot someone for an appliance, not me, they can have our one tv, all 28" of it.

I think we are starting to get into the "gun debate" zone here. One last comment and I will bow out now. Don't break in to my home, or threaten me or my family while i am out, and you are safe from me. :greetings10:

Last edited:
2c58b129e609b37f4a3302987e0049d882e009c307750e8c8f6e0dd9cf9ba926_1.jpg

The strange and curious story of the (last true) Maine hermit, a notorious non-violent offender.

For nearly thirty years, a phantom haunted the woods of Central Maine. Unseen and unknown, he lived in secret, creeping into homes in the dead of night and surviving on what he could steal. To the spooked locals, he became a legend—or maybe a myth. They wondered how he could possibly be real. Until one day last year, the hermit came out of the forest.
http://www.gq.com/story/the-last-true-hermit?printable=true

Last edited:
We have several layers of defense of our home, but I think the *best* deterrent we have is our neighbors as they NEVER close their garage doors. Day, night, weekend...doesn't matter, they are ALWAYS open and it's quite obvious as you drive by that they are open. Thanks dumb neighbors! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom