Income If You Retire Today

It's interesting that a reduction from 120k to 115k/year results in a 100% success over 30 years for both although an extremely higher average in the latter case.
I jigger around with FireCalc since I'll start semi-retirement next year and the DW will continue to work for 3-6 years. I'm sure there is a way to model this, but it is not obvious, since it doesn't seem to process multiple retirement years and incomes.
Longer years give better success at times, which is a bit disturbing about naive responses to FireCalc results, although it is reassuring.

It's interesting that a reduction from 120k to 115k/year results in a 100% success over 30 years for both although an extremely higher average in the latter case.
I jigger around with FireCalc since I'll start semi-retirement next year and the DW will continue to work for 3-6 years. I'm sure there is a way to model this, but it is not obvious, since it doesn't seem to process multiple retirement years and incomes.
Longer years give better success at times, which is a bit disturbing about naive responses to FireCalc results, although it is reassuring.

I think for the purposes of FireCalc, that if 1 spouse is working, then the family is not retired. Just like in the 50's when the man worked.
Naturally that does not satisfy many people, so pretend the working spouse does not work (no income) and do the calculations from that.

Yes, longer years do give better results, as the market can really drop in 1 year, but over many it smooths out the effects, especially lately :)

Back
Top Bottom