Ink Level Question: Pixma MX700

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Previously the ink level low monitor showed cyan, magenta, and then black cartridges needed to be changed. Since it would not allow copies to be made in the copy mode, I dutifully went out and emptied my wallet for more. I also read somewhere (owners manual??) that proceeding w/o replacement of the ink could result in damage to the printer if the ink got too low.
That seemed to be academic as long as some interlock preventing copying.

Recently, the yellow cartridge showed up as low and again I was unable to override in the copy mode. Before I could replace it, DW printed an internet page in the print mode. Just for kicks, I tried to make a copy in the copy mode. It worked.

Now what........is it ok to just ignore the warning light? or is that damage threat real? or maybe it's somewhere in between......I can copy/print N pages before it becomes a problem? Did I replace the others way too early as designed for Canon's profit? Confused now............advice appreciated.

I don't have this specific model, but I've had multiple Canon printers and there usually is a warning first ... based on a specific cartridge (or several) running low.
Later.... much later (as in weeks) if you don't use it that often.... it will just stop... mid-print... and tell you to change it now.
It's like the warning is to go buy one to have ready to change when you have to... but it sounds like you've been changing them early.

The warning is an ?yellow? ! (exclamation point). The 2nd is a red x. Usually
I haven't been successsful in copying when I get to that 2nd warning . Some DW
got it to print (not copy) and since then I've been able to continue w/ copying even though the red x is there. For the 3 earlier ones, the ink was changed after the red x came up and it wouldn't copy at all.........so not early, I think, by your standards.

My Dell printer starts giving me a low ink warning as soon as i put in a new cartridge,i then go for 6 months before putting in a new cartridge,my sign for cartridge change is when its starting to print with no ink.:D

That's what I've done in the past w/ our Epson printer............no warnings were given......at least that's I thought until recently when I noticed a subtle warning on the screen while it was printing. No audible alarm tho (wonder if it's because I disconnected the 2 small speakers; didn't notice that even when they were connected, I think). No obvious damage running on fumes that I can tell.........but I think somewhere somehow I got that fear from Canon. Trying to find out if it's valid or not.

Back
Top Bottom