Input From Tesla Owners?

^^^ I noticed there are 3 MY’s near me, all with 269 mi range, 20” induction wheels and “less than 50 miles” on the odometer. I don’t see structural battery pack or 4680 batteries noted, are you seeing that in inventory listing? I’m going to wait for the MYLR and don’t want larger wheels (ride, cost and curb rash) but I am interested in structural pack and 4680 batteries.

One way to tell is by the max range. That is how he knew. 270ish vs 330.

Saw where today (Feb 4) Tesla announced a $1,000 price increase for their Model Y. This was the second increase in Model Y price in the past two weeks, after Tesla lowered the price for this and other models a month ago.

Is there a ticker/website where one can monitor the daily price of Tesla vehicles? :cool:

Looks like the price of Y 269 range stays the same for now.

I think if I make a change or grab from inventory my $52,990 price would go up to the new price.

I worry that they will bump back the delivery date on my low price order so they can fill the newer high priced orders.

I read some car fanatic forum saying that they felt that the 20 inch wheels on the Y 269 mile were nicer looking and came with better tires. That said that they were better in wet or snow and handled better and not much worse ride quality. Still I hate to have to pay $2000 just to get one with lower range from inventory.

Guess I will roll the dice waiting. I have until march to return my wall charger if the whole deal falls through.

Thanks for the heads up on the price increase.

True, seems to vary by each model/level. e.g. the Model Y Long Range dropped to $52,990 at first. Then increased $500 to $53,490. Now it’s up another $1500 to $54,990. Between the IRS tax credit change and order demand at 2X production capacity, not a big surprise for Tesla.

I just look at the design your tesla page to see the prices, and from their the early delivery options link to see available inventory.

L

I think if I make a change or grab from inventory my $52,990 price would go up to the new price.

I worry that they will bump back the delivery date on my low price order so they can fill the newer high priced orders.

I read some car fanatic forum saying that they felt that the 20 inch wheels on the Y 269 mile were nicer looking and came with better tires. That said that they were better in wet or snow and handled better and not much worse ride quality. Still I hate to have to pay $2000 just to get one with lower range from inventory.

Guess I will roll the dice waiting. I have until march to return my wall charger if the whole deal falls through.

I think you know the 20” are a little rougher riding, more prone to curb rash, and replacement tires will cost more. As nice as they look, I’d still go for 19”. YMMV

I think you know the 20” are a little rougher riding, more prone to curb rash, and replacement tires will cost more. As nice as they look, I’d still go for 19”. YMMV
Same here. Range was our number 1 priority after a SUV style form factor. Glad not to have the larger wheels with their vulnerability to potholes, rougher ride, etc.

Tires will be replaced. I went with 19" Gemini for my model Y. There's third party wheels or covers that are available. Some of the covers look like the 20" induction wheels over the 19" wheels.

One Problem

I don't own a Tesla but several of my friends do. They live near my country house about 2.5 hours North of San Francisco. Here is what they told me.

Tesla has no spare tire. Not even one of those miniature ones that can get you a hundred or so miles to help.

If you live in a fairly large City this is not a problem because Tesla will come and fix your tire.

But not out in some small town. So, you are stuck. No one local can help you. So my guys have spent about $500 to buy a used rim and a new tire mounted on it. No room in the Tesla to carry it so they have it in their garage, where someone can fetch it and drive it to them.

Also, these cars are very tricky to jack up. You have to know how to do it, so do the research.

These are all wheel drive vehicles, so have to be hauled not towed. A miss sized tire can do a lot of damage in a car like this.

Again, if you live in a good sized City this is not much of a problem.

Tesla has no spare tire. Not even one of those miniature ones that can get you a hundred or so miles to help.

Also, these cars are very tricky to jack up. You have to know how to do it, so do the research.
The last three cars I’ve bought didn’t have a spare, only a sealant kit. That’s not unusual, what is unusual for Tesla, a sealant kit doesn’t come with the car, owners can buy them (like I will, at $24 to $80). Full sized spares all but disappeared decades ago…

Teslas can be damaged on a lift or a jack, jack pads at $25 are a good thing to have, and some basic research. https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-9E6DD5CB-40BA-4A29-B20D-457303555037.html

There are lots of 4WD and AWD cars today, any professional towing company knows how to handle them.

About a third of new cars today do not come with a spare tire, though they might also be equipped with a compressor and sealant kit to temporarily fix a flat tire. Some cars without a spare come with a run-flat tire, which is designed to operate for a limited distance after losing air from a typical puncture.
https://www.consumerreports.org/tires/some-newer-cars-are-missing-a-spare-tire-a9928775934/

I watched this video and thought of your questions:

• I know Tesla build quality has been awful, I'm told it's improved significantly, but still not perfect.
  • I know the Model Y was known for surprisingly rough ride quality even rattles, I'm told that has improved considerably.

An interview or chat about Tesla with one of the car teardown gurus who has literally picked many cars apart to learn how they were made.

The years of experience Tesla has building electric cars and their simplify everything philosophy has it's advantages.

I watched this video and thought of your questions:

An interview or chat about Tesla with one of the car teardown gurus who has literally picked many cars apart to learn how they were made.

The years of experience Tesla has building electric cars and their simplify everything philosophy has it's advantages.
Yes, I've seen that. Ironically Sandy Munro was a huge critic when they tore apart a Model 3 for the first time in 2018. Now he's so smitten with Tesla, and claims they are so far ahead of any other EV producer, the others may need many years to even compete and profit. If EV adoption continues or expands over the next 5-10 years it could prove to be pivotal to the legacy auto industry and EV startups. It wasn't that long ago Tesla lost money quarter after quarter for about 10 years - but those days seem to be past.

Recently after the Jan 2023 price cuts 'the [Tesla] cost advantage over other carmakers is so high - in Sandy Munro's opinion - that the move to cut prices is expected to eliminate or even annihilate competitors. Tesla cars will be cheaper than other models.'

Last edited:
I haven't had a flat in my Tesla yet, but it seems that the sealant approach isn't recommended due to the soundproofing foam in the tires. So we carry a puncture repair kit, compressor, and jack pads in the trunk.

I was tempted by those MY-AWD 4680 variants in inventory, but they still use NMC cells so you lose even more range when charging to the recommended 80%. Also, I verified that the level-2 charge current max for those are 32A, so you can't take full advantage of faster higher-current level-2 chargers.

The same 32A limit also applies to the M3-SR, but those have LFP cells and the recommended charge is 100%.

Regenerative braking does not mean the brake pads are never used. We’ve had regen brakes on 4 hybrids, 3 makes, and the brake pads lasted about 2-3 times longer than non regen brakes, but they have to be replaced eventually- same with Teslas though they can use regen more aggressively than most.

Stepping on the brake pedal doesn’t make any difference. The car will use regen unless you turn it off (I don’t think you can turn it off entirely, but you can choose to use them less if you don’t like one pedal driving) and supplement with friction brakes as needed.
I believe the car itself will use the brakes occasionally now for maintenance reasons, software update last year.

Sudden stops - hard to believe that’s all regen, but maybe I’m wrong.
Happen to be at Tesla Service today for a couple of minor issues - first service visit ever, ~10,000 miles and 9 months since delivery.

The Tesla orientation video playing specifically says that the Tesla also automatically applies the traditional brakes at low speeds for coming to a smooth stop.

I just watched a video that said they recently added a regen under all conditions that simulates with brakes if battery full or two cold.

How can I play music from my CDs? Can I somehow rip them to a thumb drive and have the Tesla p!at the MP3 files?

I just watched a video that said they recently added a regen under all conditions that simulates with brakes if battery full or two cold.

How can I play music from my CDs? Can I somehow rip them to a thumb drive and have the Tesla p!at the MP3 files?

I found mine on Spotify. But yes - you can use mp3 on a memory stick.

Happen to be at Tesla Service today for a couple of minor issues - first service visit ever, ~10,000 miles and 9 months since delivery.

The Tesla orientation video playing specifically says that the Tesla also automatically applies the traditional brakes at low speeds for coming to a smooth stop.
Nice Tesla Service Center visit. To set up a service visit you have to do everything via the app, and the visit ran smooth as silk and was much shorter than expected. Everything covered under warranty.

Tesla had added a tire inspection as part of our service “goodwill - no charge” and afterwards told us that our tires look great (at 10,000 miles) and recommended not even rotate. The service advisor told us that the car detects when the tires need to be rotated and will notify us.

The service center is about an hour and 10 mins from our place mostly interstate.

Last edited:
This is a new option that you can enable or disable, depending on your preference.

Yes, you can put mp3 or flac files on anything that plugs into the glovebox USB port. I have my entire CD collection (11000+ songs) on a SSD plugged into my glovebox USB.

All our music was on our phones anyway so we streamed via Bluetooth. And now that Tesla added the Apple Music app we don’t even need the phones for music.

All our music was on our phones anyway so we streamed via Bluetooth. And now that Tesla added the Apple Music app we don’t even need the phones for music.

A little off topic, but I have 500+ music CDs up for grabs right now...:( (no takers so far) :LOL:

Also, I am waiting for the day when all music ever recorded is available on a small chip that can be implanted in your ear and all you have to do is mention the song and it plays. No USB/Bluetooth stuff, no receivers/speakers, it just plays in your head!

A little off topic, but I have 500+ music CDs up for grabs right now...:( (no takers so far) :LOL:

Also, I am waiting for the day when all music ever recorded is available on a small chip that can be implanted in your ear and all you have to do is mention the song and it plays. No USB/Bluetooth stuff, no receivers/speakers, it just plays in your head!
I don’t even need that chip these days. I have music playing in my head almost all the time these days.

We’ve stored our CDs away.

It’s possible that a super large capacity thumb drive might be unplayable in the Tesla. But I have an 8 GB thumb drive and a 16 GB thumb drive that are loaded with mp3s, and they both play fine in my Tesla if I select the USB audio option on the dash screen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom