I've got Covid.... The thread for your covid experiences

Probably a smart decision. Just be sure to check all the potential drug interactions. You may have to stop some of your meds while taking the Paxlovid. It's not just statins: some BP meds have their action enhanced by Paxlovid which can drive your heart rate and/or BP too low. That happened to DH.

I do feel better emotionally about starting the Paxlovid, especially after reading Covid can worsen many days (easily 10 days) after testing positive, which is too late for Paxlovid.

My doc & nurse & pharmacist went over how it could interact with other prescriptions, but I'm not on other meds so no issue.

I do feel better emotionally about starting the Paxlovid, especially after reading Covid can worsen many days (easily 10 days) after testing positive, which is too late for Paxlovid.

My doc & nurse & pharmacist went over how it could interact with other prescriptions, but I'm not on other meds so no issue.
That is the conundrum: waiting to see if symptoms get worse may result in too much time elapsing after which Paxlovid is of no use. I'm glad you have no meds to be concerned about. If it's anything like my experience with Paxlovid, you'll be feeling much better in 24-36 hrs. Also, I had no rebound and no serious lingering symptoms (beyond 10 days) not even a cough. It did take time for my senses of taste and smell to return.

Reminder to everybody, treating with Paxlovid has about a 25% reduction in the risk of contracting Long Covid in studies, and treating with Metformin is about a 40-50% reduction (the test subjects were overweight in the two studies I saw I believe, so your mileage may vary but for me, they had similar issues to my health so I felt very comfortable with the studies being meaningful).

For me Paxlovid made my mouth taste horrible from the inside for multiple days, so not as mild as other folks have experienced, but TOTALLY worth it for the risk reduction. I did have the rebound, and that makes sense, Paxlovid suppresses the virus, but if your body doesn't clear it before the treatment is done, it can come back. You would expect a much higher percentage of folks who take Paxlovid to have a rebound than people who didn't, but the rebound with paxlovid just means you suffer the tail end of the infection that you would have gone through anyways without the Paxlovid, at what is hopefully a much milder intensity. Given how sick I was, I am REALLY glad the doc got me on Paxlovid right away. One day bad flu, one day bad cold, several days icky, a weekend of ok, and then two more weeks of icky was WAY better than dying, or ending up in the ICU.

Reminder to everybody, treating with Paxlovid has about a 25% reduction in the risk of contracting Long Covid in studies, and treating with Metformin is about a 40-50% reduction (the test subjects were overweight in the two studies I saw I believe, so your mileage may vary but for me, they had similar issues to my health so I felt very comfortable with the studies being meaningful).
The study https://news.unchealthcare.org/2023/06/study-shows-metformin-lowers-long-covid-risk/ showing the positive effects of Metformin is very interesting. First, the choice of Metformin to include in the study was the result of a prediction by a simulator/model that has previously successfully predicted the efficacy of remdesivir and the ineffectiveness of hydroxychloroquine prior to actual trials on those drugs. The Metformin study also looked at ivermectin and showed it was ineffective in preventing long covid.

Reminder to everybody, treating with Paxlovid has about a 25% reduction in the risk of contracting Long Covid in studies

I think there is still much that is unknown about this. Another recent study showed that 20% of those taking Paxlovid developed rebound Covid, compared to 2% of those not taking it.

I suspect there may not be all that much difference, but it's probably still a good idea to get it, especially if you're higher risk.

A surprise for me in my COVID journey, is the incredible painful sore throat. Worst I've ever had. Turns out its a real thing.

It wakes me up every hour or less in a coughing fit, and has been so much effort that my rib muscles are sore from coughing. At least I'm getting exercise. :LOL:

This is with Nighttime cough syrup.

Good news is the burning scratchy eyes is going away.
I'm at my 3rd day now.

A surprise for me in my COVID journey, is the incredible painful sore throat. Worst I've ever had. Turns out its a real thing.

It wakes me up every hour or less in a coughing fit, and has been so much effort that my rib muscles are sore from coughing. At least I'm getting exercise. :LOL:

I'm at my 3rd day now.

I hope you're not getting Covid double pneumonia. For me that was terrible, and it was what kept me in the ICU for three weeks when I had Covid (delta variant) back in 2021. I don't remember sore throat pain, but then to be honest I don't remember much of anything during that period of time. I think I was unconscious for a lot of it.

I was on oxygen, steroids, IV antibiotics, and probably a lot of other treatments that I don't remember. I don't even know if they had me on a respirator or not. I think they threw everything but the kitchen sink at me trying to keep me alive. I do remember being weak, weaker than I thought people could ever possibly get and still survive. Could not do anything at all. But I did survive (thank heavens, and thanks to the efforts of the hospital staff) and here I am.

So I guess what I am trying to say, is don't let this cough get out of hand without seeing a doctor because it can get REALLY bad, REALLY fast and you don't want that.

Yup I had that. Beyond anything you've ever heard described as a sore throat. Couldn't swallow, or eat, let alone sleep. Coughing was all but impossible as my body wanted to cough but my throat wanted to be closed. I was scared it was going to hinder my ability to fight off the rest of the infection, since sleeping + eating are keys to recovery from anything.

I'm at my 3rd day now.
I'm glad I never got the sore throat from hell! Hopefully, the Paxlovid is starting to work if your scratchy eye symptom is subsiding. Hang in there!

I'm at my 3rd day now.

The only cough syrup that's ever really worked for me is the stuff with codeine in it. I've always gotten terrible nighttime coughs with colds. When I was little my mom would bring in a teaspoon of the magic stuff mixed with a little warm water. Put me right to sleep. I miss the days when you could buy that stuff OTC by signing your name in a book.

The only cough syrup that's ever really worked for me is the stuff with codeine in it. I've always gotten terrible nighttime coughs with colds. When I was little my mom would bring in a teaspoon of the magic stuff mixed with a little warm water. Put me right to sleep. I miss the days when you could buy that stuff OTC by signing your name in a book.

Oh yeah - that codeine-laced cough syrup worked so well! Had a harrowing cough that was exhausting me and dragging on for weeks - xrays and other stuff were fine - just a remanant of covid. They prescribed a tablet that didn't do a thing - can't remember the active ingredient, but the effect was like taking sugar pills. They said that's all they could do. Not sure if the codeine laced syrup no longer exists or if they're just afraid I'm going to get addicted. I just want. to. stop. coughing. aak!

Last edited:

I'm at my 3rd day now.

Yes - here as well. I feel like my family thought I was just over-dramatic, as they only had a mild sore throat. Thankfully, it only lasted 1-2 days, but it felt like when I had strep - painful. I was downing lots of ice cubes to numb it.

Oh yeah - that codeine-laced cough syrup worked so well! Had a harrowing cough that was exhausting me and dragging on for weeks - xrays and other stuff were fine - just a remanant of covid. They prescribed a tablet that didn't do a thing - can't remember the active ingredient, but the effect was like taking sugar pills. They said that's all they could do. Not sure if the codeine laced syrup no longer exists or if they're just afraid I'm going to get addicted. I just want. to. stop. coughing. aak!

Last time I asked my doctor for some, he gave me some synthetic stuff that didn't work and also made my scalp itch. For a while you could get the real stuff in Canada. But that was years ago. I'd almost be afraid to ask my doctor for some now, for fear of some note about possible drug abuse being added to my file.

Sorry for the delayed response - you're probably flying as I type this! Yes - we traveled and were in crowds part of the time, including one crowded restaurant. We tried to wear masks often, but honestly, it probably didn't do much good.

Too many people's hygiene and manners are atrocious: they're hacking away clearly sick - no mask, not even bothering to cover their mouths, crowding other people with no concept of personal space. We were constantly trying to move away from people.

But I've been laying low since 2020 and tired of skipping the stuff I want to see and do in life at this point, given that I probably don't have many healthy years left.

Covid just isn't going away in the next few years, if ever. And everywhere we want to go seems overcrowded, even during "off" times.

We had completed our domestic flight but hadn't quite started our international leg to Heathrow and then to Lisbon. Wore masks in the airport and on the plane. No issues going over but I got a bit of a cold on the way back. Came through Philly the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and the airport was packed with coughing, unmasked people. I got checked for COVID and flu at Urgent Care (sent by VA nurse line) and then re-tested for COVID, flu, and RSV by the folks who run the GSK RSV vaccine trial I'm still in. The vaccine has been released for oldsters but they asked if I'd like to keep going and be monitored. They pay me $150 when I come in with the crud so why not! Cold cleared up quickly so maybe my mask helped limit the viral dose I got.

DW is still fighting symptoms from her rebound pneumonia. She had an appointment with her rheumatologist last week and he apologized for not responding to her message through the system.
She continued with her medicine, and the recommendation would be to quit taking it. It is possible that her immune suppression medicine set her up for this longer illness.
Her telemedicine doctor failed to make that recommendation too :(
If you are on one of the biologics do get with your doctor and do not give up on getting a proper consultation.
He figures it will be Christmas before she is feeling better.

DW is still fighting symptoms from her rebound pneumonia. She had an appointment with her rheumatologist last week and he apologized for not responding to her message through the system.
She continued with her medicine, and the recommendation would be to quit taking it. It is possible that her immune suppression medicine set her up for this longer illness.
Her telemedicine doctor failed to make that recommendation too :(
If you are on one of the biologics do get with your doctor and do not give up on getting a proper consultation.
He figures it will be Christmas before she is feeling better.

DH is on Humira biologic and he immediately stops taking it whenever he gets any type of sickness like cold, flu, stomach virus etc.

After nearly four years, I got my first case. I got a very intermittent cough, fatigue (only really had to sleep extra the first day), low grade fever/chills for a day before it started getting better. Pretty much resolved within 72 hours. All in all, fewer effects than the vaccine side effects. It was surprising in how quickly it manifested and then began to resolve.

After nearly four years, I got my first case. I got a very intermittent cough, fatigue (only really had to sleep extra the first day), low grade fever/chills for a day before it started getting better. Pretty much resolved within 72 hours. All in all, fewer effects than the vaccine side effects. It was surprising in how quickly it manifested and then began to resolve.

My experience was the same, with the vaccine as well. I haven't been boosted since last December because I didn't want to deal with the side effects again.

DH had covid at the same time as me, and had the same experience. He's never had the vaccine.

My covid case resolved quickly—faster than most of my colds—but after a week I still tested positive, so I stayed away from people until that resolved.

......but after a week I still tested positive, so I stayed away from people until that resolved.

Good on you for that!!!
Unfortunately too many just (selfishly) mingle with others and contribute to ongoing spread of the illness, whether COVID or another disease.

I developed Covid symptoms yesterday evening shortly after I returned home, and tested positive yesterday evening and again this morning. I've had each recommended vaccine, including the most recent version of Moderna when it first became available in September this year. At this time, my symptoms are like a moderate cold, with a runny nose and a bit of a cough. Last Wednesday evening, however, I developed severe diarhhea. That may or may not have been a Covid symptom. I was in Panama where the water, esp. in Panama City, is supposedly safe to drink. What I had for dinner 2 hours earlier may or may not have been the cause.

I had masked on my flights and on public transport in Panama and in Costa Rica. I did eat in restaurants, however, though many were outdoors in both countries.

I had a telemedicine appt. this morning with a physician assistant who supposedly sent in a prescription for Paxlovid. It took 4 hours for a record of the prescription to appear at the pharmacy. I'm 69, have no comorbidities, and am taking no other prescription drugs.

This is probably my 1st case of Covid. I had a faint red line on an antigen test 17 months ago, but the PCR test done 12 hours later came back negative. I had taken 2 doses of Paxlovid and stopped after receiving the negative PCR results. That Paxlovid expired last Feb. but was extended to last Aug. My symptoms were very minor; a sore throat and headache which had lasted a few days.

^^^^^^^^^^^ You are supposed to take the full 5 days of Paxlovid in a row. My Doc specifically warned me to keep taking it, even if I felt better. Stopping it early increases your risk of a rebound of COVID and then it's resistant and too late to take Paxlovid.

The reason I stopped taking Paxlovid 17 months ago is that the more accurate PCR test indicated that I didn't actually have Covid. There was nothing for me to rebound from. A physician friend speculated that perhaps I had had another type of coronavirus which briefly resulted in the faintly positive antigen test.

I'm in getting the flu and RSV vaccines, and was informed that I should wait 6 months on the COVID vaccine post illness.
EDIT: Belay that order! My copay on the RSV was $304 so I'm going to do a little shopping.

Last edited:
So I went to a wedding on Saturday and started feeling unwell the following Tuesday. I just took the covid test and am positive.

I googled how long to quarentine and it says 5 days, but is that 5 days from Saturday, Tuesday, or Today (Thursday)? I'm trying to figure out if I would be putting my elderly relatives at risk for Christmas eve/Christmas Day.

So I went to a wedding on Saturday and started feeling unwell the following Tuesday. I just took the covid test and am positive.

I googled how long to quarentine and it says 5 days, but is that 5 days from Saturday, Tuesday, or Today (Thursday)? I'm trying to figure out if I would be putting my elderly relatives at risk for Christmas eve/Christmas Day.

CDC says:

Isolation can be discontinued at least 5 days after symptom onset (day 0 is the day symptoms appeared, and day 1 is the next full day thereafter) if fever has resolved for at least 24 hours (without taking fever-reducing medications) and other symptoms are improving.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom