Leonard Cohen or Bob Dylan

neither? For poetry prefer Emily Dickinson and Rudyard Kipling.....I like Dr Seuss, too :)

what about this one

NO MORE BOOMERANG
No more boomerang
No more spear;
Now alll civilized-
Colour bar and beer.

No more corroboree,
Gay dance and din.
Now we got movies,
And pay to go in.

No more sharing
What the hunter brings.
Now we work for money,
Then pay it back for things.

Now we track bosses
To catch a few bob,
Now we go walkabout
On bus to the job.

One time naked,
Who never knew shame;
Now we put clothes on
To hide whatsaname.

No more gunya,
Now bungalow,
Paid by hire purchase
In twenty year or so.

Lay down the stone axe,
Take up the steel,
And work like a ******
For a white man meal.

No more firesticks
That made the whites scoff.
Now all electric,
And no better off.

Bunyip he finish,
Now got instead
White fella Bunyip,
Call him Red.

Abstract picture now-
What they coming at?
Cripes, in our caves we
Did better than that.

Black hunted wallaby,
White hunt dollar;
White fella witch-doctor
Wear dog-collar.

No more message-stick;
Lubras and lads
Got television now.
Mostly ads.

Lay down the woomera,
Lay down the waddy.
Now we got atom-bomb,
End everybody.

Oodgeroo Noonuccal (1966) ( also known as Cath Walker )

sorry about the slang and native names but the insight is pure gold

Just saw Searching for Sugar Man. Get the Kleenex box! That was truly incredible. So humble and full of humility. Is a superstar and didn’t even know it. Very cool documentary!

All I know is that Dylan has a Nobel Prize and Cohen doesn't. And if you create a "Leonard Cohen" channel on Pandora, it ends up playing a lot of Dylan.

But I like them both. DW and I go to see Dylan whenever he comes to town. He is getting old, doesn't play the guitar any more (arthritis?) only a keyboard and harp.

I saw Dylan and Merle about ten years ago.
Merle smoked Dylan. Even Dylan’s most iconic songs were barely recognizable.
Watch Leonard Cohen’s RRHOF induction speech on YouTube. He killed it.

I saw Dylan and Merle about ten years ago.
Merle smoked Dylan. Even Dylan’s most iconic songs were barely recognizable.
Watch Leonard Cohen’s RRHOF induction speech on YouTube. He killed it.

Dylan concert #1 was typical Dylan, i.e. rearranged as to be unrecognizable. Concert #2 some years later was much better. I get that playing it the same way for 50 years sucks, but c’mon...

Listening to Cohen, and Dylan, and end-of-career Johnny Cash, requires one to be in a darker, edgier place. Bourbon helps. [emoji41]

Dylan concert #1 was typical Dylan, i.e. rearranged as to be unrecognizable. Concert #2 some years later was much better. I get that playing it the same way for 50 years sucks, but c’mon...
I also 'get it' that a performer wants to play it different over the years. My favorites make it different, so that you don't feel like you are home listening to the recording (what's the point of seeing them live?).

But it needs to be different and better/as-good. Some of the live stuff I've heard from Dylan is different-for-the-sake-of-being-different.. Like "I'm bored, and you will pay the price, by listening to this hideous rendition of an old favorite, because I couldn't think how to make it better, so I just made it different. I should apologize, but I won't".

Aside from that, I really hate any "Is performer X better than performer Y" discussions. Enjoy them (or hate them) for what they are. There's really no point in comparison, IMO.

-ERD50

As OP, this discussion was not meant to be "Is performer X better than performer Y." It's a comparison of 2 musical icons of similar style and poetic talent. Rodriguez was brought into discussion and I'm grateful. I'd not heard of him and now appreciate his contribution and humility. Why contribute to a discussion you hate?

Aside from that, I really hate any "Is performer X better than performer Y" discussions. Enjoy them (or hate them) for what they are. There's really no point in comparison, IMO.

-ERD50

As OP, this discussion was not meant to be "Is performer X better than performer Y. It's a comparison of 2 musical icons..." ...

From your OP:

I'm struggling which is the better poet. ...

Ummm, OK? What did you mean then? Not sure how to take your OP other than exactly as you stated - is one better than the other? If you're focused on the distinction between 'poet' and 'performer', I doubt anyone would see the distinction in this context.

... Why contribute to a discussion you hate?

I 'contributed' (if we can use that term on any of my posts!) on another point to HFWR. Then I added that second point as an aside. At any rate, saying I hate something is a contribution, of sorts. You not liking or agreeing with it, or denying it, doesn't change that.

-ERD50

I'm pretty sure in high school, my literature class was different than my theater class. Anyhow, Bob Dylan won a Nobel prize in literature, not performance. From what I remember, poetry is way different than performance. Anyone who's been to a Bob Dylan concert would agree with me. Yet, Leonard Cohen's poetry is just as inspiring.

Back
Top Bottom