Love to Cook - Now a Question

Lisa99

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I LOVE to cook, more specifically I love to bake.

I can spend hours and even days in the kitchen trying new recipes, baking family favorites, watching Food TV, etc.

Once we retire I don't want to turn my passion into a business and I have no interest in food blogging....I just love to cook. Just today I've made a caramel/peanut butter mousse/chocolate tart for Christmas eve dinner and started a croquembouche and it's not quite 9:30am here :)

Since it is just the two of us, does anyone have ideas on how I can indulge in my cooking hobby without becoming as big as the side of a house? Are there organizations that I can donate the finished products to? Other ideas?

Your local fire station / firefighters might appreciate a plate of baked goods now and again. It's also a nice way to say "Thanks!" for the job they do.

Another idea might be to contact the PTA at a local school to ask for their schedule of events. There are often bake sales at our various fundraising and school events, with all raised funds going to support a specific project at the school. I am sure they would appreciate the talents of a fine baker!!

Charlotte

I can spend hours and even days in the kitchen trying new recipes, baking family favorites, watching Food TV, etc.

To which Groucho (supposedly) replied, “Lady, I love my cigar but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.”

Teach a class at your local community college, continuing education program or recreational center? Then you will have all the people in the class to help you eat up the goodies. Maybe local nursing homes, shelters, organizations for foster children or the like would be interested in some fancy baked goods now and then.

Or maybe you can specialize in adapting highly caloric recipes so they are just as yummy, but not as fattening.

All wonderful suggestions, thank you.

Going in the other direction, there are a lot of "cooking for two" cookbooks that pare down big recipes and some of them are really good. You could create smaller versions of your favorite recipes and start a blog about the results.

I love to eat... well it is a similar passtime! :greetings10:

Maybe you could start a baking + exercise routine. Count the extra calories and do the exercise before indulging.

I can assure you that every police station in the country is full of growing boys who love baked goods. A lot of cops are young single guys who have moved away from home for the job and no longer have access to moms home cooking. Homemade desserts would be greatly appreciated.

I had thought about police and fire stations but was unsure if a stranger just showed up with goodies that they would accept them. I'll definitely give it a try!

I had thought about police and fire stations but was unsure if a stranger just showed up with goodies that they would accept them. I'll definitely give it a try!
Let us know how it goes. You might start a trend.

Dear sister is one of Philly's finest. I put your question to her. Her answer was and I quote: "Hell yeah we'll eat the stuff." She told me that people drop food off at the stations all the time. They even take the left overs from catered events. She said she has even seen the guys standing roll call with sauce on their mouths. Not a classy bunch she says but there you have it. Nothing tastes better than free. Just take it to the window and tell them that this is a token of your appreciation.

Well, if you're still having trouble finding people/places to donate to...I also like to eat! As long as it can survive a few days in the mail, I'd be more than happy being a dessert guinea pig! Let me know and I'll send you my address!

Senior housing might be a good place, too - a lot of elderly people don't have much family visiting. Also they have parties. It probably helps if you know someone who lives there.

Hospitals - the nurses love treats. Check ahead to make sure it's okay to bring stuff. ER is also good.

I love to bake too - and mostly I try not to, for the sake of my waistline :D

There is a danger that by working at cooking, you will destroy your love of cooking.

I do quite a lot of photography as a hobby. Several charities have used my work and asked me to do even more, but I have to turn them down because it became more like a business and not hobby.

What wonderful ideas everyone! I live in Las Vegas and the economy here is terrible so there are many homeless.

Now if only I could get to the retired part of the equation so I can actually bake more often!

DW and I like to cook (she's the expert baker) and we used to try to scale recipes down for 2 people. But now we've started to scale recipes to make 4 to 8 servings more often than not, or even more depending on what the dish is. Extras might be lunch the next day, or into the freezer. Leftovers are "a good thing."

We also found scaling down that small led to a lot of wasted ingredient $.

Some extra baked goods go to our workplaces (or wherever your group activities take place).

Giving to others is a noble option too.

I love to cook, too, and now that I have nobody to cook for I just love the idea of baking cookies and bringing it to the Firehouse...thanks! They deserve to be pampered for all they do for us.:):cool:

Wow, that cake is amazing (and a bit freaky!)

A lot of the VA outpatient clinics have day programs for veterans, with lunch and/or snacks included.
Go visit, introduce yourself, and see if some of your culinary delights would be appreciated. I already know the answer to that question. :D
VA Southern Nevada Healthcare System Home

The telephone number for the VAVS is halfway down this page
http://www.lasvegas.va.gov/giving/

Back
Top Bottom