LTD and forced SS

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
Have a sister that was very recently diagnosed with Stage IV kidney cancer. She will be 62 in December but wants to keep working if possible. Surgery and chemo are in her future.

Recognizing that all policies are different, does LTD usually force you onto SS when you are eligible (as early as 62)

My LTD plan through my company stopped paying when I reached 65. I was on SSD for several years before age 65.

My LTD plan through my company stopped paying when I reached 65. I was on SSD for several years before age 65.

Thanks for the response. We are still trying to get copies of her plan. Were you forced to apply for SSD at 62 or prior, by a LTD plan?

FWIW, my brother's LTD provider (Voya) more or less forced him to get SSD once it was determined that he was permanently disabled.

The good news was that they provided an attorney to do the leg work and all I had to do was spend about an hour and a half filling out some forms. Took them less that two months from start to finish; and didn't cost my brother a dime.

The LTD I have forces you to be approved by SS disability or you don't qualify.

Back
Top Bottom