Massage: Is It Worth It?

ItDontMeanAThing said:
Sometimes science is overrated. Geckos can walk up vertical glass and upside down on rougher surfaces. Scientists don't know how the geckos do it. Either do the geckos but that doesn't stop them.

And sometimes all it takes is to actually look something up and find maybe science is not so much overrated as ignored or misunderstood or just not bothered with?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080905220912AAalRqW

I have massage once a week - the ones I like are deep tissue massage. I usually have them after golfing. I usually fall asleep during the massage and wake up refreshed with relaxed muscles. It is important to find the type of massage which suits you and of course, a masseur with good skills. I've had really bad massages before - usually when I am trying out a new place.

ItDontMeanAThing said:
Sometimes science is overrated. Geckos can walk up vertical glass and upside down on rougher surfaces. Scientists don't know how the geckos do it. Either do the geckos but that doesn't stop them.

http://geckolab.lclark.edu/dept/geckostory.html

Now, you have to wonder, with two million sticky little setae per gecko, what sort of a massage could they give? How many geckos are needed to give a proper deep tissue massage?

Maximum potential force of 2,000,000 setae on 4 feet of a gecko = 2,000,000 x 200 micronewton = 400 newton = 40788 grams force, or about 90 lbs! This is 600 times greater sticking power than friction alone can account for. Weight of a Tokay gecko is approx. 50 to 150 grams

So, one of the little guys can theoretically deliver up to 90 pounds force, limited by adhesion. This suggests that the massage capability of the gecko is limited by properties other than adhesion, such as unit strength or mass of one gecko.

If we assume the mass of one gecko is 100 grams, or 0.22 pounds mass, then a stack of geckos sufficient to deliver force near the adhesion limit of one geckos combined setae would be about 409 geckos high. This suggests avenues for further research by one of our members with an adequate supply of geckos and suitable time and training facilities...

Nords, you up for some gecko training? You get a massage if all goes well...

Last edited:
answers.yahoo.com is your source? :2funny::2funny::2funny::2funny::2funny::2funny:

Is this better? I'm sure you could have done the same, instead of laughing.

-ERD50

References

^ Hyman, H.L. (1966) "Further Notes on the Occurrence of Chitin in Invertebrates" Biological Bulletin, 130: 1-149. http://www.biolbull.org/cgi/reprint/130/1/94.pdf

^ Butterfield, N. J. (1990). "A reassessment of the enigmatic Burgess Shale fossil Wiwaxia corrugata (Matthew) and its relationship to the polychaete Canadia spinosa Walcott". Paleobiology 16 (3): 287–303. JSTOR 2400789. edit

^ a b Santos, Daniel; Matthew Spenko, Aaron Parness, Kim Sangbae, Mark Cutkosky (2007). Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology 21 (12-13): 1317–1341. Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology | BRILL. "Gecko "feet and toes are a hierarchical system of complex structures consisting of lamellae, setae,and spatulae. The distinguishing characteristics of the gecko adhesion system have been described [as] (1) anisotropic attachment, (2) high pulloff force to preload ratio, (3) low detachment force, (4) material independence, (5) self-cleaning, (6) anti-self sticking and (7) non-sticky default state. ... The gecko’s adhesive structures are made from ß-keratin (modulus of elasticity [approx.] 2 GPa). Such a stiff material is not inherently sticky; however, because of the gecko adhesive’s hierarchical nature and extremely small distal features (spatulae are [approx.] 200 nm in size), the gecko’s foot is able to intimately conform to the surface and generate significant attraction using van der Waals forces."

^ Kirk PM, Cannon PF, Minter DW, Stalpers JA. (2008). Dictionary of the Fungi (10th ed.). Wallingford: CABI. p. 116. ISBN 978-0-85199-826-8.

^ Raven, Peter H.; Evert, R.F. & Eichhorn, S.E. (2005): Biology of Plants (7th ed.). W.H. Freeman and Company.

^ Engineers create new adhesive that mimics gecko toe hairs Physorg.com Jan 29, 2008

M Paquette said:
http://geckolab.lclark.edu/dept/geckostory.html

Now, you have to wonder, with two million sticky little setae per gecko, what sort of a massage could they give? How many geckos are needed to give a proper deep tissue massage?

So, one of the little guys can theoretically deliver up to 90 pounds force, limited by adhesion. This suggests that the massage capability of the gecko is limited by properties other than adhesion, such as unit strength or mass of one gecko.

If we assume the mass of one gecko is 100 grams, or 0.22 pounds mass, then a stack of geckos sufficient to deliver force near the adhesion limit of one geckos combined setae would be about 409 geckos high. This suggests avenues for further research by one of our members with an adequate supply of geckos and suitable time and training facilities...

Sounds interesting, but can you get them potty trained first?

When a gecko drops off the ceiling to administer a deep-tissue massage to the back of your neck, you certainly end up moving quickly. Especially if you were just sleeping a microsecond ago.

Sounds interesting, but can you get them potty trained first?
They're kinda territorial about that-- they tend to poop in the same places each day so that the other geckos know who owns the turf. I wonder if little gecko sergeants run around consulting clipboards and saying "OK, here's your spot, remember to wait until after dark so that they don't clean it up until daylight!"

Sadly our geckos seem to be on the decline, crowded out by the invasive anole lizards. I'm hoping it's seasonal but I'm seeing far fewer geckos on our windows & ceilings these days.

ItDontMeanAThing said:
answers.yahoo.com is your source? :2funny::2funny::2funny::2funny::2funny::2funny:

And again sometimes when what you post is so easily refuted even Yahoo answers (just one of many links which confirmed the same answer over and over) maybe doubling down on how much smarter you think you are then so called "science is overrated" is not so impressive.

I usually have one or two a year. The best massage I ever had was after 5 days of backpacking, it was well worth the money.

I do not use these types of massage services at all. Maybe I am too cheap when it comes to my needs.
I am way too cheap to spend the money on massage, but I did have one yesterday because it was reimbursed (I did it as a mystery/secret shopper!).

In SE Asia, with massages at about $20 a session at top of the line spas in Manila or Bangkok and $10 a session in resorts like Bali or Boracay, and usually no more than $50 - $100 for 90 - 120 minute sessions at places like Banyan Tree in Phuket, it's hard to pass up....

Rather than massage, you all should look into "self myosfascial release". Get yourself a foam roller and a few lacrosse balls, and you can essentially massage yourself and release a lot of tension. Very small investment ($20 for a foam roller, $5 for a 3-pack of lacrosse balls).

I do some form of SMR on myself every single day.

Rather than massage, you all should look into "self myosfascial release". Get yourself a foam roller and a few lacrosse balls, and you can essentially massage yourself and release a lot of tension. Very small investment ($20 for a foam roller, $5 for a 3-pack of lacrosse balls).

I do some form of SMR on myself every single day.

Sounds interesting. Would you be willing to suggest some good resources where to learn more?

omni

Is this better? I'm sure you could have done the same, instead of laughing.
Well raise my rent. :blush:

Got fascinated with Geckos after first trip to SE Asia. At that time science didn't have the answer. Now they do, and It's pretty cool how they do it. Will the first people to buy gecko shoes and gloves be automatic cat burglar suspects?

answers.yahoo.com is still among the worst sources of info on the net.

The ones I like the best are Thai massages, once fell asleep while getting one, but I had a few Singa's first.

A study was done by a joint US-Canadian team
"Researchers from Ontario and California..." So, that'd be a joint Canadian-US team. ;)

I can't believe that thread drift has resulted in you guys discussing geckos climbing up walls! :ROFLMAO: Always entertaining to read the ER Forum, especially later pages of threads to see how they have morphed.

As for massage, I've never had a professional one but have had some extremely enjoyable amateur massages.:angel:

I can't believe that thread drift has resulted in you guys discussing geckos climbing up walls!
Heck, in SEA we would pluck them off the walls, put them on their "backs" in our hand, rub their "tummies" which would put them to sleep.

Tried that with DW when she could not get to sleep - never worked :D ...

Now back to our program...

Heck, in SEA we would pluck them off the walls, put them on their "backs" in our hand, rub their "tummies" which would put them to sleep.

Tried that with DW when she could not get to sleep - never worked :D ...

Now back to our program...

In Hawaii, back in my time, geckos were considered to be a great housewarming present (because they eat insects). As such I have both given and received several. I have mentioned that to mainland friends who freak out at the idea. Not me; I regard them as buddies sharing my home. :)

Oh, and keep trying that with your DW - - sounds like a great method once perfected.

I knew a guy in the Air Force who had been through survival school. He liked to talk about how they had to eat bugs, snakes, etc. etc. during the course. I went to a local pet store in Phoenix, and bought a green "house gecko". Took it to class the next day, along with my video camera (VHS, this was awhile ago) and he proceeded to stand in front of the class & give a live demo of how to consume a live lizard/gecko. He was really very instructional about the whole thing (he was the class instructor). He put it in his mouth tail first, noting that otherwise, the little feller would bite his tongue (ouchy). Then, and I'm sorry....but he proceeded to crunch rather loudly a couple times, while the little green tail wiggled around outside his mouth, before finally swallowing the Geico gecko's identical cousin in one swift gulp. Yep, got it all on video. I just wish I could find the video...it's been awhile since I've watched it. Now, that's entertainment! ;)

I attended that survival school and promised myself after graduating I'd never eat another bug - or a gecko.

Yeah, but think how much money you'd save on groceries...especially in Texas! I'd bet there are more lizards per square mile in Texas than just about anyplace else. :D

W2R said:
I can't believe that thread drift has resulted in you guys discussing geckos climbing up walls! :ROFLMAO: Always entertaining to read the ER Forum, especially later pages of threads to see how they have morphed.

As for massage, I've never had a professional one but have had some extremely enjoyable amateur massages.:angel:

Your comment is funny and true. If I had not already been following the posts and went from reading the thread title to page 4, I would be thinking " what the hell does eating a geckko got to do with a message?":)

Back
Top Bottom