Mentally Ill /Dangerous People

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try to remember that nearly all of these people who cause so much trouble (mentally ill or not) feel they are entirely in the right. The guy who shoots up the Kroger because he got fired, the neighbor who comes out with a bat to confront you because you are mowing while he is trying to sleep. The person who cuts you off on the freeway because he thinks you did the same to him. People who assault others in public for their political views --they all believe their actions are justified, even if they also know they are against the law.

This doesn't offer much relief. It won't remove the fear/anxiety of dealing with such a person. But it can help remove "hate" from the equation, which may facilitate the formulation of a more coldly objective and effective course of action.

Your comment about mental illness shows your ignorance and prejudice and contributes to stigma which then deters people from seeking help. I encourage you to learn more about mental illness and the myths such as yours.
Are you responding to me (the immediately preceding post) or someone else? If it is me, I am very confused by your hostility. Even if you were responding to someone else, I would still encourage a less hostile posting style; We're among friends here.

The person who cuts you off on the freeway because he thinks you did the same to him.

Not that I'd ever be inclined to purchase one anyway, but I've often thought of this when I see vehicles with personalized license plates - an alpha-numeric plate might be soon forgotten by someone who feels slighted, but CHUCKIE, (or somesuch), will resonate forever.

Wait, wait, wait! IMHO do we even know what we're talking about here? First of all, what is mental Illness? I previously posted my uncle as an example of mental illness. People he knew in business, his mistresses and most who knew him socially would have been shocked that I suggested he was mentally ill. This man was a criminal and I won't even attempt to give examples. He fooled almost everyone who knew him.

Someone with OCD, who likes cleanliness and prefers perfection over sloppiness is considered mentally ill.

Folks who express their opinions loudly or protest an injustice are called "crazy."

People who become addicted to opioids because their doctor prescribed them with unlimited refills, then stopped refilling, who are on the streets trying to deal with addiction are mentally ill.

Depression is a mental illness. Has anyone on in this forum dealt with depression?

PTSD is a mental illness. These people have witnessed unspeakable acts or situations that impacted their lives more than most of us can imagine.

Children who've been pushed around, in and out of foster care who cannot figure out what a normal life is, yeah they're mentally unstable.

If the markets crashed or we lost everything to a crisis or a relative was kidnapped...the list goes on, I think I might tend towards mental illness. I'll probably get a porky on this but be real. No one is exempt from mental illness and it is so easy to criticize when life is good.

There are plenty of sad life circumstances that cause/see the people so afflicted to slide into mental illness of one sort or another. Others seem to get there without a triggering event or circumstances. In the US, we seem not to do a very good job providing help to these people and of course the stigma attached to mental illness does not help. I am willing to bluntly state that I would be extremely reluctant to seek treatment if I ever became mentally ill.

All that said, whether someone is mentally ill or not, I wouldn't plan on responding to open aggression with suggestions of counseling.

Are you responding to me (the immediately preceding post) or someone else? If it is me, I am very confused by your hostility. Even if you were responding to someone else, I would still encourage a less hostile posting style; We're among friends here.
I was responding to the very first post that opened this topic by harlee.

"All the mass murders committed by obviously mentally ill people has me concerned about some people I know. How do you tell if someone is mentally ill and is a danger?"

What did you perceive as hostile? The word ignorant?(lacking knowledge) prejudiced? (preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience)

Wait, wait, wait! IMHO do we even know what we're talking about here? First of all, what is mental Illness? I previously posted my uncle as an example of mental illness. People he knew in business, his mistresses and most who knew him socially would have been shocked that I suggested he was mentally ill. This man was a criminal and I won't even attempt to give examples. He fooled almost everyone who knew him.

Someone with OCD, who likes cleanliness and prefers perfection over sloppiness is considered mentally ill.

Folks who express their opinions loudly or protest an injustice are called "crazy."

People who become addicted to opioids because their doctor prescribed them with unlimited refills, then stopped refilling, who are on the streets trying to deal with addiction are mentally ill.

Depression is a mental illness. Has anyone on in this forum dealt with depression?

PTSD is a mental illness. These people have witnessed unspeakable acts or situations that impacted their lives more than most of us can imagine.

Children who've been pushed around, in and out of foster care who cannot figure out what a normal life is, yeah they're mentally unstable.

If the markets crashed or we lost everything to a crisis or a relative was kidnapped...the list goes on, I think I might tend towards mental illness. I'll probably get a porky on this but be real. No one is exempt from mental illness and it is so easy to criticize when life is good.

Agree 100%. Just about anybody can be labeled mentally ill depending on the circumstances of their life at the time. I for one think they label too much as mental illness in our society what may be a normal healthy reaction to crises. It’s not just schizophrenia and bipolar anymore. If you play too much video games you can be considered mentally ill.

Not LE. Realize in many states you are allowed to have a legal firearm in your vehicle, camper, or tent without any permit or training. It's part of the castle doctrine.

I used to have my CCW and shorty after I go it I was going down I70 and everyone stopped except the person behind me. Her car was totaled and police/wrecker summoned. As I was talking with the officer I mentioned I had a 9mm in the console as the CCW instructor recommended. His response was he treated everyone as if they were carrying.

Not LE either, but the one time I was pulled over for doing an incomplete stop at a stop sign the officer wanted to know if I had a gun in the car (obviously the fact that you have a concealed carry permit popped up when they run your plates). He said that whenever they see someone has a CHL, it makes them very nervous during the stop. That made no sense to me since we have undergone background checks and have no criminal history. If anything, they should be happy to be dealing with us rather than someone who does have a criminal background.

The first thing is make sure you’re armed; you may only get one chance to protect you and your family. Call police immediately. Video these nuts for evidence to prove their threatening nature. Be armed and train to use it if need be..

I was responding to the very first post that opened this topic by harlee.

"All the mass murders committed by obviously mentally ill people has me concerned about some people I know. How do you tell if someone is mentally ill and is a danger?"

What did you perceive as hostile? The word ignorant?(lacking knowledge) prejudiced? (preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience)
Most people can be expected to react negatively to being called ignorant and prejudiced. At the very least, they will probably withdraw from further interaction. If they have posted something that is incorrect, it is generally better and more fruitful to lead them to the correct answer than simply declare them anathema and thereby shut down any potential for further discussion that may educate them. I have been wrong many times in my life, and I have always appreciated the times when people took the time to set me straight rather than writing me off.

Agree 100%. Just about anybody can be labeled mentally ill depending on the circumstances of their life at the time. I for one think they label too much as mental illness in our society what may be a normal healthy reaction to crises. It’s not just schizophrenia and bipolar anymore. If you play too much video games you can be considered mentally ill.
+1

There's a bunch of definitions for mental illness. Here's a link talking about different types of illnesses. https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions

I don't think most people are afraid of someone battling depression, recovering addicts, or eating disorders..... The folks I fear are those who appear unhinged, angry perhaps they feel they have nothing to lose and the entire world is against them. As someone posted upstream these folks believe they are in the right. Maybe they aren't not ill, as least as we define it today. I saw an article about how the description changed between DSM-IV and DSM-V.

Not LE either, but the one time I was pulled over for doing an incomplete stop at a stop sign the officer wanted to know if I had a gun in the car (obviously the fact that you have a concealed carry permit popped up when they run your plates). He said that whenever they see someone has a CHL, it makes them very nervous during the stop. That made no sense to me since we have undergone background checks and have no criminal history. If anything, they should be happy to be dealing with us rather than someone who does have a criminal background.

Strikes me as odd, too. Have seen stats that say that CHL permittees commit crimes at lower rates than almost every group in society (including police officers).

The fact is mental illness is a very scary and very real thing. We had a close relative who appeared to be a normal, happy, socially connected, person. He was well dressed, well spoken and a rather well-to-do member of society. He was on anti-depressants like half of our country it seems but I wouldn't say he had tell-tale signs of mental illness other than very mild paranoia. Then one day he shot himself and his wife. He had guns his whole life so was normal for there to be guns around him. Having a killing device so readily at hand proved to be a mistake in this case.

Take mental illness seriously! Do not ignore any signs!

The fact is mental illness is a very scary and very real thing. We had a close relative who appeared to be a normal, happy, socially connected, person. He was well dressed, well spoken and a rather well-to-do member of society. He was on anti-depressants like half of our country it seems but I wouldn't say he had tell-tale signs of mental illness other than very mild paranoia. Then one day he shot himself and his wife. He had guns his whole life so was normal for there to be guns around him. Having a killing device so readily at hand proved to be a mistake in this case.

Take mental illness seriously! Do not ignore any signs!

As if a knife wouldn't have been used otherwise.

If we can keep the conversation civil, centered on mental health and related issues, and not get take down alternate (nonconstructive) paths, that would be great. Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom