Motorhome generator operation

PERSonalTime

Recycles dryer sheets
This post is for the owners of motorhomes that have generators. I know in the summer months motorhomes can get very hot inside. I've heard that its okay to operate the generator in order to run the overhead air conditioners on board.

Is this something that's commonly done? It's a safe to do that? If so, how long can you operate the generator while you're driving along the highway?

I don't see why the generator cannot be run while you are driving.

That said, we have not done it because the dashboard AC keeps both of us cool while driving. Granted, the rear of the 25' class C gets quite warm when it is 110F outside, but not unbearably so and we are not back there. I then run the AC when we stop, if we are not at a full-hookup park.

The 4kW Onan generator that I have is standard among the class C's, and it burns 1/2 gal/hour under 1/2 load. The roof AC is between 1.5kW and 2kW, I believe.

I do not own a motorhome, but I own a toyhauler with a generator in it. I know MH owners run the generator all the time to use the roof top AC's, which I will do in hot weather, i will start my genny in the trailer and turn on the AC and start cooling it down en route to my destination.. As to how long you can run it, you can run it till you run out of gas. In the MH, it does pull from your gas tank the motor uses (generally) so you will use more gas. Mine uses about 1/2 gallon per hour under load. 5500 Onan

I have a 35 foot MH and run the generator most of the time while driving, particularly in warm weather. I have two roof top ACs and the generator handles them both running simultaneously.

Since the generator sources its fuel from the main tank, it will automatically shut down if you allow the fuel to run down to about 1/4 of a tank. Generators work best when run often and for long periods of time.

This post is for the owners of motorhomes that have generators. I know in the summer months motorhomes can get very hot inside. I've heard that its okay to operate the generator in order to run the overhead air conditioners on board.

Is this something that's commonly done? It's a safe to do that? If so, how long can you operate the generator while you're driving along the highway?

Yes, it is perfectly OK to run the generator to power the roof air conditioners while driving.

I have a 35 foot MH and run the generator most of the time while driving, particularly in warm weather. I have two roof top ACs and the generator handles them both running simultaneously.

Since the generator sources its fuel from the main tank, it will automatically shut down if you allow the fuel to run down to about 1/4 of a tank. Generators work best when run often and for long periods of time.

Little late to the party, but this is exactly right. It’s very common for class A to run the generators to provide power for the roof a/c to help cool the interior

We do the same with our 34' Gas Motorhome. Three kids sitting in the middle of the coach need ac to cool down a bit during those really hot Summertime long drives. No problems ever.

Back
Top Bottom