My World is Shrinking

My mom didn’t have this problem at 80. It just feels too young to be having these issues.

Did your Mom walk big dogs or take multiple dogs out walking?

It feels like more then a few people have posted they have similar issues, including me. Don't feel you are the lone ranger, because you are not.

You might go another 10 years before falling again, just use some caution and common sense, but don't feel afraid to do anything but sit on the couch. You are definitely too young to be doing that...:D

No my mom didn’t have dogs. I have had 3 falls in 4 years. If the weather is decent we walk daily and if not I run around the house until I get my 10k steps.

My DM, a nurse who worked with the county health dept visiting seniors at their homes, often said there were two factors involved in the majority of falls. One was leg strength and the other vision. Strengthening leg muscles improves balance, and combined with clear vision, the likelihood of tripping or stumbling decreases substantially.

Interesting Michael. I had cataract surgery on both eyes last year so that’s covered. I was clumsy even when young.

A few questions/comments:

1) Are the dogs well-trained? If large dogs are pulling hard on the leash due to a lack of training, they can be a hazard to even a younger, stronger person.
2) Someone mentioned an area rug. Ironically, my mom tripped over a small rug by the front door of her house, broke her pelvis, and didn't survive two months after that.
3) While we typically lose some of our sense of balance as we get older (even in the 40s), with exercise and strength training, it's possible to enhance one's sense of balance (I was worse than my younger wife at balancing on one foot until I started bicycling to work, and now I can balance for at least two minutes on one foot). Strength training helps minimize the chances of a fall, and helps mitigate the impact of arthritis (just went to physical therapy after an MRI identified mild arthritis in my knees).

We can choose to age without exercise, and become increasingly frail before we hit 80, or we can exercise regularly, do strength training, and minimize the potential for falls, etc.

No my mom didn’t have dogs. I have had 3 falls in 4 years. If the weather is decent we walk daily and if not I run around the house until I get my 10k steps.

Let hubby chase you around the house to make it more interesting.:D

The big dog was old and well trained and didn’t pull. I tripped because the sidewalk was very uneven and my toe got caught. He is dead now. I haven’t fallen walking the little dogs. I fell on ice on the patio in the backyard taking them out.

My DM, a nurse who worked with the county health dept visiting seniors at their homes, often said there were two factors involved in the majority of falls. One was leg strength and the other vision. Strengthening leg muscles improves balance, and combined with clear vision, the likelihood of tripping or stumbling decreases substantially.

Certainly the case with my mom, who fell often when she got to about 85. In her case, the legs were fine but she had extremely limited vision, and that in only one eye. So the problem was not having depth perception, so (for example) she couldn't tell when she came to a curb.

I have a step in from the garage and from our tv room into the kitchen. These steps seem higher than normal and then is nothing to grab onto. Plus there are lips that love to trip up feet. I have feel twice this winter on these. I bought a couple aerobic steps with no extenders. These are about half the height of the step. Also got a quad cane (four feet). That helps with the balance problem. One of the falls I couldn't get up on my own. Had to wait for my DW to get home. Michael is right about leg weakness being a problem. I now do a series of leg exercises three times a day.

I have the Apple W 2 and although it doesn't have fall detection, it surprised me while working on some floor tiling. Supporting myself on my left (watch) hand I guess it kept the crown depressed for a while. To my shock, the next thing I hear is "911, what is your emergency?" I had no idea of this function (it has lots I don't use or am unaware of). While it wouldn't do any good if fall unconscious, if it's within distance of the cell phone then it would be easy to just depress the crown rather than try to get the phone out my pocket, which wearing jeans can be a challenge.

Ice is incredibly bad. It can take you down in an instant, and cause significant and permanent damage, even to a young and/or healthy person, depending upon the impact.

Terry, is there any way you can have a dog run put in your yard? Just for those days when it is icy outside, and let the dogs out instead of walking them.

I am paranoid when it comes to ice.

+1 --- Definitely agree with this advice. I used to live right outside Washington DC, and did have to deal with walking my dogs on icy sidewalks!!! Very dangerous. I tried all different types of footwear and nothing gave adequate traction on ice. Please consider putting in a dog run in your yard, or if that is not feasible, maybe use a dog walking service on days where there's snow and ice.

Retire, the big dog is dead and the Maltese only walk in perfect weather. I fell on my patio which has ice. I am just going to stand at the door next winter if we get icy. Many winters we don’t get any.

Daily yoga balance exercises can make a big difference too

There is often ice on trails in the rockies well into May, so we always hike with these in our packs. They are easy to slip on to your shoes and works well even when there is no ice.

https://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

They have a great grip on ice, rock, concrete - just don't use them on your wooden floors.

I try not to give up on any activity (though I'm a few years younger than you) fearing a downward spiral that will end up with me being house bound. I'd rather figure out a way to do it slower, safely and with more support.

Daily yoga balance exercises can make a big difference too

My balance and ability to recover if I get off balance is much better since I started taking yoga a couple of times per week 2.5 years ago.

Yep, at 71 I'm certainly more aware of falls. I stopped jogging outdoors when a friend broke and ankle by stepping on a walnut (lot of them where I live). Previously, I had tripped on a sidewalk seam that was less than a half inch out of line - hit it just exactly right. I slipped on the ice when walking my son's dogs and twisted my back badly.

The big deal wasn't a fall -- I dropped a bookcase on my foot three years ago. Broke bones and tore ligaments. It took 18 months for the bones to "heal", then another year of serious pain whenever I used the foot. That really did "shrink my world" for an extended period. Just this last week I tried walking the dog for a whole mile and I was delighted that I made it.

I figure I'm more brittle than I used to be.

I do indoor biking in the winter and plan to bike outdoors this summer (yep, that's a risk). I added some back strengthening exercises to my routine. I put a second handrail on the basement stairs. I've got a problem with a soffit that I would have fixed a few years ago, I'm looking for someone I can hire to do it this time. I'm really careful when I walk the dog in the winter.

I am going to start doing the standing on 1 leg. Both yoga and tai chi throw my back out. I don’t intend to give up walking. I am just going slower and paying more attention. Independent, you have had some bad injuries also. Glad you can walk again.

I've had a few falls. One resulted in a broken wrist. Once a broken ankle. Just recently landed on my tailbone. It's been sore for weeks. Luckily I haven't injured my head yet.

I've been slowing down in my walks, hikes, and runs, being extremely careful, and watching where my next step is going to be before taking it.

I’ve had some falls while walking too fast and not paying enough attention to uneven surfaces such as sidewalks with tree roots under them. Never broken anything but banged up my knees pretty severely.

Just a couple of weeks ago, we parallel parked in front of a restaurant. I got out of the car without realizing that there was a big uneven gap between the sidewalk and the street pavement. Went down immediately. Luckily no breakage, just bruised lower leg.

I think paying attention and especially avoiding multitasking while walking is very important. Also as W2R mentioned, it’s a great idea to minimize or eliminate safety hazards in one’s home.

I never thought this would happen but 4 years ago was power walking my big dog and tripped on a very uneven sidewalk and got a head injury. I slowed down but 2 months ago and fell on the ice and broke my right wrist while taking my dogs out. My husband was out of town. It is scary if I hit my head or couldn’t getup and only 65 and in good shape.

I was at the park last week with our 7 year old granddaughter. She wanted me to swing with her. When I sat on the seat, it slipped out from under me, and I found myself on my back looking at the sky. Some young guy ran to help me up--as if I needed help.

It's great to be of real retirement age and still be able to run, jump around and even swing with our granddaughter. I work hard at walking well, and moving like someone half my age.

Sidewalks can be tricky, just today I mailed a letter, it was a warm sunny day about 65F , and I'm walking along (no cell phone in my hands) and I tripped and stumbled, nearly falling.
I went back to look and could see the sidewalk square was 1/2 inch or less higher than the one before it.
What a surprise....!

My balance and ability to recover if I get off balance is much better since I started taking yoga a couple of times per week 2.5 years ago.

+1

Balance exercise is also part of my routine.
And simple stuff like getting out of a low chair without using my hands. Lack of strength plus poor balance means a fall.

TT I think this should be in your sad situation thread maybe one of the mods can move it for you so you don't have to rewrite it:)

Thanks I am upset and screwed up. Yes I would appreciate it being moved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom